Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well... it IS why they call it a craze, after all. There isn't usually too much logic in a craze. Remember when everyone had to have a Cabbage Patch Kid doll and were paying three times what they retailed for to get one? Yet all they had to do is wait a month or two and they'd get it at retail all day long.

Still, I do understand the Whippet craze to a degree. Sure it was the low end hat of the day but it seems to embody the perfect ideal of what a fedora "is." It has the perfect style and look and was one of Stetson's most popular models. It seems to be the quintessential fedora. I think collectors are responding to that essence.

Plus it is a named model. You'll notice that all Stetson's named model hats seem to get premium prices. As a collector of all sorts of things in years past I can say that things that can be put in nice categories lend themselves to collectors far more easily than generic things. So a high quality Stetson De Luxe or Imperial may be to us the better quality hat, but more collectors will get excited by a "Stratoliner," or a "Bantam," or a "Playboy," or a "Whippet" because those have cool names.

I have 7 Whippets, myself. But the most I've paid for one is $140 (but most under $100) and that is no worse than buying a new fur felt fedora and since the vintage Whippets are loads better than the modern hats, I don't feel I did badly. Then again, I am a tiny size 7, so I don't have to contend with those $250 and more prices.

Very well Stated, HE. I do agree completely that Stetson models with "Names" do bring a premium. When I think about, I would rather pay $150-$200 for a vintage quality hat than a new felt hat from Stetson. I guess my opinion is kind of skewed because of my likes & preferences. When I see 1920's & 1930's hats selling for 1/3 or 1/4 the price of some of these Strats or Whippets I just have to shake my head because I know that those 20's/30's hats have workmanship and quality that even 40's/50's hats usually can't even compare too. I do forget sometimes that the majority of members on the lounge like the 40's/50's style wide brims and the Whippet does epitomize that "look." But as far as the vintage hat market goes, I still say that Whippets are bringing too much money for what they are. (For the larger sizes at least) I will say that since these prices for Strats, Playboys, and Whippets have been going up, somehow there are more of them on ebay than ever. I thought more supply is suppose to decrease demand. Or maybe in the case of Whippets, its a linear relationship.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I have a gripe. Anyone else get irritated with bid retractions? Is colonelwth a member here?

Personally, I can't ever remember retracting a bid - what's the point in retracting unless you really entered the wrong amount? And if that's really the case, why isn't the retraction followed by a correct bid?

WOW!!!! How did I miss these??? I know many on the lounge don't know how rare these really are. To find original NOS 1920's Frayed ribbon & Bow combos is next to impossible. If any lounger bought these, I would LOVE to buy a couple from you.

Me too but great find for whoever did.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
It's just an example of the way that eBay favors bidders much, much more highly than it does sellers.

Every decision ebay makes is based on increasing their $$$. When I see a stupid policy, I always ask myself how it benefits ebay. In this case, I think they have to allow retractions because people really can put in the wrong bid, causing problems for ebay that cost ebay $$$. I would change the retraction policy to allow 'modifying' a bid, as opposed to retractions.

In this case, the bidder put in the opening bid, and he just contacted me, letting me know that he retracted because he had failed to read the description completely.

I recently won this size 59cm Mayser. Looks to be mid 1950s and some type of Antelope finish with an interesting box bow. Poor photos but I think it will turn out to be a nice one after steam and brush.

6309997715_0ed10aa521_o.jpg

6309997881_78844ca367.jpg

6310518908_146281ef19.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I can NOT believe how high this Size 7 OVER-stretched mallory went for. I mean Stetson Whippet was in the description, so I'm sure it had something to do with it. ;)

Mallory Ten

Indeed, Josh - the stretching didn't go to well for that hat.

I had thought of bidding on it, for about $30 or $40 it would have been a decent hat with some character - I do like the overall style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo