Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

billyspew

One Too Many
Okay, I just have to lament this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170728538837

Beautiful Dobbs Fifteen 7 3/8 BIN for $87. It looked like there might be some minor stains on the outside, so I sent a message asking about that and the price of shipping. Twenty minutes later I check back and see that the seller has accepted an offer for $70. A real shame. :eusa_doh:

It's the seller's loss really, that would have gone for more than that.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It's the seller's loss really, that would have gone for more than that.

I find it interesting that it is "A real shame" that it went for less. E-prey is basically an adversarial activity. I (the buyer) want to pay as little as possible for an item. You ( the seller) want to get as much as you can. We are at odds with one another . Congratulations to that buyer for getting it for less :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
I find it interesting that it is "A real shame" that it went for less. E-prey is basically an adversarial activity. I (the buyer) want to pay as little as possible for an item. You ( the seller) want to get as much as you can. We are at odds with one another . Congratulations to that buyer for getting it for less :)

Its also a shame that sellers take these under the counter lowball offers and in my opinion its even more shameful that those offers are made.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
This seller's offerings are all BIN with best offer option. Fair play. Many of the hats are priced quite low.

Sorry. Didn't look at that seller's auction. Just assumed (I know) that it was the typical scenario. There are still plenty of the under the counter deals going on.

B

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a great example - I just bought this hat last night. Its an older Mallory panama (1823 badge) and would likely have fetched way more than the BIN, especially with that fine weave but that's what the seller set the BIN at. If they aren't willing to take the time and research what their item may be worth prior to listing I don't feel sorry for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150697947043?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If they aren't willing to take the time and research what their item may be worth prior to listing I don't feel sorry for them.

Agreed. And when an eBay seller posts good photos and a well-worded description of a Whippet (including complete measurements), and that Whippet sells for a lot of money, I don't feel sorry for the losing bidders who cry about how high it went for.

Here is a great example - I just bought this hat last night. Its an older Mallory panama (1823 badge) and would likely have fetched way more than the BIN, especially with that fine weave but that's what the seller set the BIN at. If they aren't willing to take the time and research what their item may be worth prior to listing I don't feel sorry for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150697947043?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That one sat for quite a few days longer than I thought it might.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Looks like you got a good deal! Congratulations !

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Thanks Alan, I think I'm going to try fabric rather than tape if I try to patch it. I might just salvage the pug and the sweat, and get rid of the body so it doesn't make me sad every time I look at it. Your suggestion did make me wonder about something though. I've got some old hat boxes in need of taping, and I'm wondering if the PVC tape would be a better choice than the more common stuff.

I just got an old panama that has a small, ½" crack near the crown pinch. I found some fabric adhesive that my wife bought a while back. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be just the thing. It's clear and it dries clear, but stays flexible after it's dried. I figure if I apply it sparingly to the inside, it will hold and prevent the crack from getting any bigger.

Perhaps I should post some "repair pix" when I do this!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox promotions

BSA Jamboree 1935
$(KGrHqUOKpgE6V!JdT)jBOuDSGoThw~~60_3.JPG

Counter sign
$(KGrHqUOKiEE4pLlyoiBBOMFl9lnkg~~0_3.JPG

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Six years ago, Lounger "Wild Root" won a pristine vintage 1930s burgundy-colored fedora (and a hatbox) for about $5. A beautiful, very rarely seen color in surviving fedoras from that era. Very handsome when worn with certain shades of grey, tan or brown. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?3025-9.99-got-me....&

1131394img9qe.jpg

1131395img5pk.jpg

1131397img3yb.jpg

Back in the '70s-early '80s, Borsalino --which was still family owned, and still top-notch-- began to revive its 1930s-early '40s styles. Here's one that just sold on eBay. (Believe it or not, the linked felt ribbon is a Borsalino invention from the '30s.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-BORSALINO-FEDORA-SUPER-FINISH-UNUSUAL-COLOR-MUST-SEE-/290632735605

Look at that color! The somewhat eccentric ribbon could be replaced with a lighter rust or darker burgundy grosgrain one.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
This seller's offerings are all BIN with best offer option. Fair play. Many of the hats are priced quite low.
100% correct. I too hate the under the counter "oops, item no longer available" deals, but with the offer system and BIN, everyone gets whatever chance they care to make available to themselves.

When these things go way under what the top could be, I don't pity the Seller. They had ample ability to discern it's true market worth. And in many (most?) cases, they've picked it up for a song at an estate sale, and make a quite nice profit despite the low price. Everyone wins (well, with the exception of the fellow who's estate was sold off... ;)).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy