Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on the nice Knox Justin.

CS, that is an amazing hat. As in all things fashion, women have the advantage of a much broader palate. On the other hand, a limited wardrobe simplifies male life greatly. Be sure to post a shot of you in it sometime soon.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on the nice Knox Justin.

CS, that is an amazing hat. As in all things fashion, women have the advantage of a much broader palate. On the other hand, a limited wardrobe simplifies male life greatly. Be sure to post a shot of you in it sometime soon.

+1. Cool hats. CS, it would be fun to see a shot of that hat in action. Curious, how will you store it to protect the apparent glossamer delicate brim?

Eric -

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
+1. Cool hats. CS, it would be fun to see a shot of that hat in action. Curious, how will you store it to protect the apparent glossamer delicate brim?

Eric -

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I have huge square hatboxes that can hold about 5 hats at a time. I stuff the hat with unbuffered tissue paper to make the hats keep their shape.

Nope... not even the big furry that was whisked off the block made it that high.

This one was clearly marked at .49 retail.

This one might have even been more, but I didn't see an original price.

It was a good week for cap sellers.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nope... not even the big furry that was whisked off the block made it that high.

This one was clearly marked at .49 retail.

This one might have even been more, but I didn't see an original price.

It was a good week for cap sellers.

WOW! Those are absolutely killer lookin' caps! Its funny, if someone went back in time and told the salesman that sold the cap originally that sometime in the future that 49 cent cap would yield a profit of 250x, they would have called the men with white coats.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Now we have to wonder if there are any new hats we can buy now, carefully store and will become worth loads of money in the future. But would you have to wait 50+ years....

Anyone have any ideas on what to get?

barrowjh

One Too Many
Walt, that $15 Stetson was at a time when the price of gold was probably about $34 an ounce, so a good hat (a really good hat) was worth about 44% of an ounce of gold. Today that would put us at about $700, and that is about right - a really good hat today from anyone other than our 'friends' here on TFL will cost north of $500. It is impressive that with the passing of 50+ years the hat still fetches almost half of its original value. A function of the original quality, subsequent care, and most important - style that outlives any fad.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
This is not a vintage hat but a reproduction and a damn good one at that. The seller/milliner is listing it as a 1930s reproduction but it's more like an early 1920s hat that was popular before the cloche. I don't really care for that early 20s style but I do like this one because it's 100% silk and it looks even better than most originals. However the seller wants $170 PLUS 25 for shipping and I think that is too high. If it was at least 50 bucks cheaper I would buy but I'm going to keep an eye on it and hope that she drops the price. What do you guys think?

il_fullxfull-9.jpg

il_fullxfull-8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy