Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
Here are some additional pics of the Stetson Imperial - Suede Finish - sz 7 1/8th

last thing, we all are so disappointed when the seller is not accurate about the brim width. Is there anything worse than finding out the 2 1/2 in brim that you thought you had won turns out to be only 2 1/4 in? The listing said the brim was 2 1/2 in, but that was not accurate. The brim is 2 5/8ths :)

I guess the reason this one got shunned is the first glance - yet another brown fedora - that must be the reason. I think it might look better with a lighter brown or goldish ribbon, but now that I have gotten to know the hat, probably not a good idea to mess with it.

Last edited:
Very nice hat from the Stetson factory store. The fabric reed was in common use by Stetson in the 1940s as is the matching reorder tag serial number stamped on the back of the sweatband. The date stamp is great - maybe special to hats going to the Stetson store for retail? The price is also intriguing. I have this suede finish model with the decorative stitching also applied to the brim, as in the Stetson Tijuana, Dobbs Gay prince and other similar offerings by the major brands after the war. Both the suede finish hat I have and the Imperial Stetson are 3X Beaver Quality that retailed for fifteen dollars.

Great win... enjoy it!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks for the information, now that you mention it, was common to have a retail store name on the sweatband, so the lack of one - and the detail street address on the sweatband, I should have known it was from the factory store. There was speculation in the 'dating by price' thread that the Imperial was at least or approximately 3X Beaver quality. Apparently the Imperial line was not so popular, we do not see very many of them.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I bid on the Imperial trying to improve on this Borsalino MGL -

I need a little more crown height, the MGL's crown is about as high as possible in the back, about 4 or maybe 4 1/8th inches clearance for my crown. The Imperial provides at least another 1/8th in clearance, plus adds another 1/8th of brim width. The suede finish is not as nice as the MGL velour. Always trade-offs.

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
I have been looking for a Pocket Borsalino in 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 with the little box. Nothing after about 4 months. Then a week ago I see this one on eBay. Its listed as 6 1/2 but it occurs to me that this may be the French size.... so it would really be 7 1/2? I ask the question and then see that in small gray type it says 7 1/2 American?! I think that is what kept the bidding down. I bid $40 and it stayed there till a few days away. I kept my eye on it. And I put in a bid with seconds to go and got it for $177. I was prepared to pay much more. And it was a bit of a leap of faith. It may not fit and this is what it looked like.
p1979978412-4.jpg

It took a while to get to me....And today I opened it and decided to do a little video that you can see. It was too small. I would guess it was 7 3/8. Maybe less. I did some leather conditioning. Lots of steaming. Some blocking, and some stretching. I will probably take it to a hat maker next week as this is about as good as I can get it on my own. But its fun and I love the hat. It may take a few minutes before youtube is done processing it.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I have been looking for a Pocket Borsalino in 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 with the little box. Nothing after about 4 months. Then a week ago I see this one on eBay. Its listed as 6 1/2 but it occurs to me that this may be the French size.... so it would really be 7 1/2? I ask the question and then see that in small gray type it says 7 1/2 American?! I think that is what kept the bidding down. I bid $40 and it stayed there till a few days away. I kept my eye on it. And I put in a bid with seconds to go and got it for $177. I was prepared to pay much more. And it was a bit of a leap of faith. It may not fit and this is what it looked like.
p1979978412-4.jpg

It took a while to get to me....And today I opened it and decided to do a little video that you can see. It was too small. I would guess it was 7 3/8. Maybe less. I did some leather conditioning. Lots of steaming. Some blocking, and some stretching. I will probably take it to a hat maker next week as this is about as good as I can get it on my own. But its fun and I love the hat. It may take a few minutes before youtube is done processing it.

]

WOW ! That would be a size I would try (I'm 7 3/8) , but they shrink a little over time . Nice vid , I thought they were different (the vids), then I realized they were the same . Nice Job ! Getting the Borsa , getting it that well in shape after being in the casket box , and Thanks for making a Good Video of the opening , and where you got it to . Great Job Bob !

The Wind Cord just goes under the bottom of the ribbon . I'm sure a Pro can get it where you want it shape wise , but it really looks great to me .

Last edited:

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
WOW ! That would be a size I would try (I'm 7 3/8) , but they shrink a little over time . Nice vid , I thought they were different (the vids), then I realized they were the same . Nice Job ! Getting the Borsa , getting it that well in shape after being in the casket box , and Thanks for making a Good Video of the opening , and where you got it to . Great Job Bob !

The Wind Cord just goes under the bottom of the ribbon . I'm sure a Pro can get it where you want it shape wise , but it really looks great to me .
Is there a way for me to edit my last post to take out the duplicate video reference?

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
I have two recent additions from ebay, a Borsalino which I have posted in the brotherhood thread, and this strange thing which was listed as a Stetson but clearly isn't. No idea what it is but since it was bought as a curiosity it will do fine for fancy dress occasions. It has a narrow ribbon but had a cow skin thing added to make it more western I suppose.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Is it an Akubra ? The Hat Band looks like one off an Akubra Sombrero , hairy cow hair . But I can't read what the liner says , it could be Akubra , or a Beaver Hats liner , or another . Maybe if you could get a Bigger Up Close Pic of the Liner and Sweat Band we could see .

I have two recent additions from ebay, a Borsalino which I have posted in the brotherhood thread, and this strange thing which was listed as a Stetson but clearly isn't. No idea what it is but since it was bought as a curiosity it will do fine for fancy dress occasions. It has a narrow ribbon but had a cow skin thing added to make it more western I suppose.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Is it an Akubra ? The Hat Band looks like one off an Akubra Sombrero , hairy cow hair . But I can't read what the liner says , it could be Akubra , or a Beaver Hats liner , or another . Maybe if you could get a Bigger Up Close Pic of the Liner and Sweat Band we could see .

Nothing on the band, which isn't even leather, and the liner doesn't have a makers name it just says "finest quality best manufacture" around a rampant lion. No idea what it is. Most likely wool felt I expect but will make a good hat for an old time prospector type of outfit with red one piece underwear and engineer boots!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Nothing on the band, which isn't even leather, and the liner doesn't have a makers name it just says "finest quality best manufacture" around a rampant lion. No idea what it is. Most likely wool felt I expect but will make a good hat for an old time prospector type of outfit with red one piece underwear and engineer boots!

Well it looks good , I hope it feels good . I bought a 2X knowing it was wool , it looks good , feels like cardboard . I had said I'd never buy a wool Hat , but it was cheap , so I thought I'd see . I think some must be okay and be better than others . Mine is just nothing I'd wear much , if ever , but I have it . ... All I know is either don't get wool wet , or if you do , let it dry slow , if not it will shrink a lot . Just stories I've heard , no experience .

Get some Red Long Johns and suspenders , along with old clod hoppers , and a Red Bandana .

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm just starting to look at ebay for hats. I've acquired no real treasures like some I've seen posted here... but kick myself for not bidding a bit higher on a vintage Panama hat with a real small, tight weave that looked like fine linen. Ah well...

I've picked up a couple Stetsons and a pretty decent Stefeno. One Stetson is a black Downs fedora and it came with a surprise I didn't notice in the pictures. It looks like the ribbon got wet and left white, wavy lines in the ribbon. I still like it for $40, and it shows a bit of character.

The other Stetson was NOS and, as advertised, was a limited release fedora called the "Murphy" and is stamped on the sweat: "Imperial Ultimate," whatever that means...

The Stefeno is a medium brown fur felt fedora made in Spain (?) It's a little big at 61cm but I wear it anyway, cocked to one side. It's a thicker, heavier, but soft to the touch felt. The Stefeno website is no help at all and lists only current offerings. They look more like a distributor than a manufacturer...

Anyway, I like the hats I'm picking up for not too much change.

makitright

One of the Regulars
For your ribbon - get a bowl of warm water with a few DROPS of Woolite - dab a clean dish towel or bathroom face cloth into your water and gently wet and clean your ribbon. Wet it equally all around. If it gets too wet, dab it dry with the dry part of your cloth. Complete by smoothing your ribbon with your fingers the way you want it. Let it dry naturally. It will lie flat once dry and hopefully the white stains will be gone.

If you are small to medium in hat size - Ebay has a ton of quality vintage fedoras you will be able to get over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy