Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
And a brown Hückel. My other one is black.
faf98a2b2611b83d242db34576f09076.jpg
d4386938ea10ea404da0297a50bf4cb3.jpg
07147d3a09020f6a444f85b37b5d1e53.jpg
1574777462364c619811c375397b8c4a.jpg
77b7a6803e81d66f1ab7d58bcef5eacf.jpg
b9f5bfbb30afb68566ed83a723aeeada.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I have been watching boaters for a while on eBay. This one seems nice, so I bought it. Seller says it was made in Japan. I remember @alanfgag posting a similar one during the summer months.
Can you say a little about these, Alan?
624053579f928af85830b6ddd88dec54.jpg

It's hard to see clearly from the resolution of the photos... the rounded top and brim edge suggest a mid-twentieth century hat. Perhaps Japanese or Italian in origin? That is just a guess. It does look pretty.

Bcraig

Familiar Face
Hi
When Looking on Ebay are there some general rules for making sure of the authenticity of a Hat ?
For example if I am looking for a Stetson Fedora and listing says Stetson Fedora is there a way to tell either by looking or asking if it a real Stetson or a knockoff ?
I would not like to buy a hat for say 50 bucks then get it and find out it is a fake .

Thanks

Hi
When Looking on Ebay are there some general rules for making sure of the authenticity of a Hat ?
For example if I am looking for a Stetson Fedora and listing says Stetson Fedora is there a way to tell either by looking or asking if it a real Stetson or a knockoff ?
I would not like to buy a hat for say 50 bucks then get it and find out it is a fake .

Thanks
There's not much of a market for knock-offs. If there are the right markings, it's real.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well I do not know what Markings I am looking for.
Could you tell me what Markings I am looking for or perhaps a particular Thread where I can find such information?

Thanks
Bill's suggestion is good, but we have everything right here, too. With more detail, examples and photos.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/links-to-important-hat-forum-threads.52584/

I really do suggest you spend some time looking through the site at your own pace. There is a wealth of information here that has been collected over the years, and knowledge passed on from folks who really know their stuff and are passionate about it.

Not that we mind answering your questions, but a lot of your answers will consist of "look here," followed by a link to the right thread.

Bcraig

Familiar Face
This website has guides to date Stetsons by liners, logo, inventory tags, etc. You should find everything you need here.

http://www.publiusforum.com/2011/01/01/dating-stetsons-company-crests-hat-liners/

Thanks for the link

Bill's suggestion is good, but we have everything right here, too. With more detail, examples and photos.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/links-to-important-hat-forum-threads.52584/

I really do suggest you spend some time looking through the site at your own pace. There is a wealth of information here that has been collected over the years, and knowledge passed on from folks who really know their stuff and are passionate about it.

Not that we mind answering your questions, but a lot of your answers will consist of "look here," followed by a link to the right thread.

Thanks ,Lots of info in the threads you pointed me to

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This website has guides to date Stetsons by liners, logo, inventory tags, etc. You should find everything you need here.

http://www.publiusforum.com/2011/01/01/dating-stetsons-company-crests-hat-liners/
A liner can be removed from one hat and put on another. You will never know if it was the seller intention to trick the buyer.
I've got a Resistol 3x beaver with a liner of a Stagecoach and was being sold as a Stagecoach hat.
I saw the sweatband and original tag picture, so I knew I was getting a Resistol 3x and not a Stagecoach.
With fedoras it's harder to spot this.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
A liner can be removed from one hat and put on another. You will never know if it was the seller intention to trick the buyer.
I've got a Resistol 3x beaver with a liner of a Stagecoach and was being sold as a Stagecoach hat.
I saw the sweatband and original tag picture, so I knew I was getting a Resistol 3x and not a Stagecoach.
With fedoras it's harder to spot this.

That’s a good point. Just curious, is a Stagecoach a better hat generally than a 3x?

Chasblount

New in Town
Hi

Thanks
Others have given you great advice — spend some time wandering around this forum — you’ll learn a lot and become more confident in identifying what you want to acquire. One thing to be careful about concerning eBay and Etsy: don’t assume the seller is accurately describing the hat when it comes to the era and model. Lots of Stetsons are erroneously listed as “Whippets.” And I’ve seen many fedoras listed as 40’s or 50’s that are obviously from the 1960’s or later. Some supposed “vintage” 1950’s have tags inside with bar codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy