Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I’m mystified by this hat—apparently a Stetson 25 OR. It looks nice on the outside but the Imperiale name and bad printing on a black sweat look like something from the 1970s? Can anyone shed some light on what this is? Thanks

[/URL]

Yeah, with thoselogos and that size tag, I'd say late 60s. Bet it's still a product of Philadelphia, though.

Maybe Imperiale is not a model but the owner’s name?

My thoughts, too.

Gripe: why won’t they fold down the size tag so we can see the size?

9EB3F462-BC89-423C-91A2-618917AF161F.jpeg
6A04AAAC-98B2-4C65-9501-B64F6E3C7962.jpeg

They provided conflicting measurements and I really don’t know what size it’s going to turn out to be.

I’m mystified by this hat—apparently a Stetson 25 OR. It looks nice on the outside but the Imperiale name and bad printing on a black sweat look like something from the 1970s? Can anyone shed some light on what this is? Thanks
Yeah, with thoselogos and that size tag, I'd say late 60s. Bet it's still a product of Philadelphia, though.
I must be missing the clear indication on the Philadelphia plant but a 1968 -1971 timeline is pretty close. Stetson was under the ownership of RAMCO Enterprises (Stetson President Phillip A. Roth & NY financier Ira Guilden) from the late 1960’s until ~1971 when it sold to Stevens Hat Mfg. The Philadelphia plant was gradually being shut down due to Union/labor problems. Roth already had licensing agreements with 14 other companies when he got Stevens to buy the company. I think that crest was first used by Stevens after moving everything to St. Joe, but that’s an assumption. Imperiale would be the owners name.

Nice OR 25 though.

Mighty44

One Too Many
I must be missing the clear indication on the Philadelphia plant but a 1968 -1971 timeline is pretty close. Stetson was under the ownership of RAMCO Enterprises (Stetson President Phillip A. Roth & NY financier Ira Guilden) from the late 1960’s until ~1971 when it sold to Stevens Hat Mfg. The Philadelphia plant was gradually being shut down due to Union/labor problems. Roth already had licensing agreements with 14 other companies when he got Stevens to buy the company. I think that crest was first used by Stevens after moving everything to St. Joe, but that’s an assumption. Imperiale would be the owners name.

Nice OR 25 though.
Thanks, Jack

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
Received an Adam fedora today. Seller was completely "misleading" about the condition of the sweat band. The sweat band had dried out and is as stiff as a board. Plus, the sweat is badly misshapen due to major shrinkage. The hat is unwearable. I'm not even sure what size it's supposed to be. Seller said it was 7 3/8 but it's much smaller than that probably because the of the terrible condition of the sweat band. Rant over!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Received an Adam fedora today. Seller was completely "misleading" about the condition of the sweat band. The sweat band had dried out and is as stiff as a board. Plus, the sweat is badly misshapen due to major shrinkage. The hat is unwearable. I'm not even sure what size it's supposed to be. Seller said it was 7 3/8 but it's much smaller than that probably because the of the terrible condition of the sweat band. Rant over!

I second that rant. I found two top hats today at thrift stores (one Knox and one from a London maker) both of which had been unmercifully attacked by scissors and a hot glue gun. Once upon a time, they had real potential but not anymore :(

Send it back! If there was material misrepresentation or a failure to disclose obvious defects I’d make a return request through eBay. eBay will side with you and make the seller take it back and issue you a full refund. Unfortunately, I have to do this a couple times a year.

Timeras1

New in Town
Well in case anyone missed a semi-annual gripe, our favorite seller sawinokur (sawinokur8083) is up to the same tricks. It seemed that for a little while they changed their text to be less specific about how hats came from "dad's collection" when the hats were actually just relistings after purchases on other sites such as Goodwill. Ok, maybe it's a deadhorse for quite a few of us, but every now and again someone new comes along who is unfamiliar with all the fun :)

"One of the rarest of all Stetsons! Along with an extremely rare Stetson “Privateer” hat box that’s in new condition! This is one set that NO one will have! When it was pulled out of dads hat collection we just couldn’t believe it was there! This is an extremely rare and very special set!

Dad decided to shape it into this shape because we had just watch a few of the old Clint Eastwood cowboy movies and it inspired dad to give it this shape. With some convincing dad would reshape it. If you look through dads listings you can see that cowboy fedora shape, John Wayne cowboy fedora in “3 Godfathers”. But you will need to write to dad and ask him to reshape it after the purchase."

....and here are the links to the original sale on Goodwill and the listing in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325330466431

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/149448942

Why keep doing it?

View attachment 449006 View attachment 449007 View attachment 449008

View attachment 449009

View attachment 449010

View attachment 449012

And I do believe I would be the "someone new who is unfamiliar with all the fun..."

Very interesting... I was coming in from a different direction, investigating a pattern I'd noticed elsewhere... and then found this, which explains a lot... Thanks for continuing the thread Daniel and gentlemen!

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Now that this one has been mailed out, I caught this one on the fly and made a fairly reasonable offer considering it's a size 7 - and the seller took it! It had seven or eight watchers, but it had not sold after more than a month. I suspect both because the seller was asking $400 and they had not listed it as a vintage hat. Some minor stains that should come right out.

Not bad, it will go well with the Churchill 100 box I got that came with a regular Shudde Bros hat from Goodwill a while back ;) Ouch! That one hurt, but this will bring down my average price. So I'm saving money. Ha!

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ