Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I would venture to bet your brim will be wider than 2". Perhaps yours is the Alcazar in Malacca:
Alcazar.PNG

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I would venture to bet your brim will be wider than 2". Perhaps yours is the Alcazar in Mallaca:
View attachment 534062
That color name is insane since my actual home in this world is Malacca (spelled alternatively “Melaka” by locals) - the city in Malaysia where I lived for ten years.

Here are just a few of the many photos of me in a hat in Melaka:

C892CC3F-793A-40D7-9F9F-9CC5D51AD439.jpeg

F3140982-EEA9-47DE-8C22-1C4F2F82E656.jpeg

94A55F85-56AD-427F-8932-E64A04412A85.jpeg

64CA5FEA-2C58-47F9-A68A-9FCC4B41F362.jpeg

Last edited:

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
That color name is insane since my actual home in this world is Malacca (spelled alternatively “Melaka” by locals) - the city in Malaysia where I lived for ten years.

Once my health improves, I do intend to head back to Melaka for a brief time before hitting the road in the semi again - I suppose the Knox might be destined to accompany me on that trip.

Just a few of my many, many beloved photos of me in a hat in Melaka:

View attachment 534064
View attachment 534065
View attachment 534066
View attachment 534067

Great pics! Looks like that Knox was meant to cross paths with you. :)

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I know there are already some comments about this eBay seller, but what do folks make of his new listing? To me it’s outright false advertising and the comments made in the description are ludicrous:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225683993936?hash=item348bd07550:g:q-8AAOSwfjxktR-9

I bought a hat from this guy once and had no problems. I wonder if I am being unfair to judge him harshly?

Last edited:

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I know there are already some comments about this eBay seller, but what do folks make of his new listing? To me it’s outright false advertising and the comments made in the description are ludicrous:

I bought a hat from this guy once and had no problems, but this listing seems too far afield for my ethical sensibilities.
I've seen him make some reaches on his descriptions before, but that one does seem to be way off base.

Mcox47

Familiar Face
I contacted him once and he was rather rude in his replies. I got the feeling he did not want to be questioned about his hats, their condition or anything really. Based on the poor reaction to what I thought were reasonable questions given his high asking price, I passed on the hat.

I personally have issues with his "from Dad's personal collection" sales pitch". If true his Dad would have bought more hats than even some of the prolific collectors on this sight.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I contacted him once and he was rather rude in his replies. I got the feeling he did not want to be questioned about his hats, their condition or anything really. Based on the poor reaction to what I thought were reasonable questions given his high asking price, I passed on the hat.

I personally have issues with his "from Dad's personal collection" sales pitch". If true his Dad would have bought more hats than even some of the prolific collectors on this sight.
Interesting. I didn’t have any questions when I bought my hat from him, but it was a reasonable price. I wonder if he would be rude if someone asked him to provide photos of the stitched liner that he mentions in the description?

And in this instance, his mention of “dad” also puts me off since this listing feels like such a massive fabrication.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
That ebayer gets a large percentage of his inventory from Shopgoodwilldotcom. Somebody must have donated "Dad's" collection in bits and pieces to every Goodwill in the country and he's buying them back to then sell... LOL!
At one point he was listing hats on ebay before he had even won them on Goodwill. Max put an end to that by putting a bid on the ebay listing then outbidding him on Goodwill, then reporting him to ebay for listing items that werent his... I got a good laugh reading about that!

Interesting. I didn’t have any questions when I bought my hat from him, but it was a reasonable price. I wonder if he would be rude if someone asked him to provide photos of the stitched liner that he mentions in the description?

And in this instance, his mention of “dad” also puts me off since this listing feels like such a massive fabrication.

A couple years ago I called him on his false backstories and fabricated provenance. He admitted it was all faked, but he justified it by saying he uses the profits to pay for end of life care for a parent. I bought one hat from him at a decent price, but he was wrong on his description. His comfort with dishonesty without compunction scares me an I try to avoid him.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
A couple years ago I called him on his false backstories and fabricated provenance. He admitted it was all faked, but he justified it by saying he uses the profits to pay for end of life care for a parent. I bought one hat from him at a decent price, but he was wrong on his description. His comfort with dishonesty without compunction scares me an I try to avoid him.
I’ve overlooked his other listings’ falsities but this new one is just too far for me.

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
I’ve overlooked his other listings’ falsities but this new one is just too far for me.
I did reach out asking where the identification of the quality is stemming from, to no reply. It’s really a shame to see a sleazy salesmen approach get in this type of market. Resale is fine but dishonesty is a real bummer. Karma is a thing though!

hambone71

Practically Family

I bought a hat from this guy once and had no problems. I wonder if I am being unfair to judge him harshly?
I bought a late 40s to early 50s 3x OR from this guy a couple years back. It was advertised as 7-7 1/8. I had correspondence with him regarding my size as 7 1/8. He did his best to convince me it could easily be stretched as it was already a 7+++. I gambled and bought it as it was in great shape and reasonably priced. I should've known better! As expected, it was too tight. I put a hat jack in it for a couple weeks and it helped initially but soon returned to being too tight. I really liked the hat and wanted to keep it so I sent it off to be reblocked and sized to 7 1/8 LO. The original sweat could not be reused so they put in a new cheaper one. The hat fits great and I love it but....it's forever altered without the original sweat. I knew going into it that the sweat would have to be replaced but I can't help my disappointment with the replacement. Of course they sent the original sweat back with my hat. Maybe some day I will have one of our own here on the lounge to sew in a spacer on the original sweat and reinstall it. Problem is, I've already put a lot of money into the hat with the purchase and then sizing up. The hat is very serviceable as is but knowing it has that cheap sweatband still chaps my tail.

hambone71

Practically Family
I bought a late 40s to early 50s 3x OR from this guy a couple years back. It was advertised as 7-7 1/8. I had correspondence with him regarding my size as 7 1/8. He did his best to convince me it could easily be stretched as it was already a 7+++. I gambled and bought it as it was in great shape and reasonably priced. I should've known better! As expected, it was too tight. I put a hat jack in it for a couple weeks and it helped initially but soon returned to being too tight. I really liked the hat and wanted to keep it so I sent it off to be reblocked and sized to 7 1/8 LO. The original sweat could not be reused so they put in a new cheaper one. The hat fits great and I love it but....it's forever altered without the original sweat. I knew going into it that the sweat would have to be replaced but I can't help my disappointment with the replacement. Of course they sent the original sweat back with my hat. Maybe some day I will have one of our own here on the lounge to sew in a spacer on the original sweat and reinstall it. Problem is, I've already put a lot of money into the hat with the purchase and then sizing up. The hat is very serviceable as is but knowing it has that cheap sweatband still chaps my tail.
Some photos of said hat. Something else I find peculiar is the hat was originally 7 1/4. See tag behind the sweat. Seems like a bunch of shenanigans going on here.
IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5176.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5173.jpeg
IMG_5181.jpeg
IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5184.jpeg

Woodtroll

One Too Many

A liar is a liar, simple as that. They are indeed best avoided. Why Ebay continues to allow his shenanigans I don't know; I guess because they get their money regardless. Ebay's reputation hit the skids long ago, anyway.

Timeras1

New in Town
That ebayer gets a large percentage of his inventory from Shopgoodwilldotcom. Somebody must have donated "Dad's" collection in bits and pieces to every Goodwill in the country and he's buying them back to then sell... LOL!
At one point he was listing hats on ebay before he had even won them on Goodwill. Max put an end to that by putting a bid on the ebay listing then outbidding him on Goodwill, then reporting him to ebay for listing items that werent his... I got a good laugh reading about that!
Funny this topic has come up now... I view him as quite the nemesis on Goodwill... just two weeks ago he snatched up at least 7 hats I had been watching/bidding on in 5 auctions... at a cost of almost $500... that was a rare week, but I do find myself at odds with him quite often... I don't necessarily buy to flip myself (only 1 that I can recall actually) but buy to wear in my personal collection. My purchases don't always work out so I do attempt to resale to fund more purchases for myself, and never at the profit he goes for, but I don't have that kinda scratch to spread over 5 auctions in one week... really burns me... and I know they'll show up "right outta grandad's closet" soon... that closet's the size of that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark...

I know its a free country and there's a sucker born every minute, but damn, to see and try to compete with that unscrupulousness on such a scale kinda sucks...

Funny this topic has come up now... I view him as quite the nemesis on Goodwill... just two weeks ago he snatched up at least 7 hats I had been watching/bidding on in 5 auctions... at a cost of almost $500... that was a rare week, but I do find myself at odds with him quite often... I don't necessarily buy to flip myself (only 1 that I can recall actually) but buy to wear in my personal collection. My purchases don't always work out so I do attempt to resale to fund more purchases for myself, and never at the profit he goes for, but I don't have that kinda scratch to spread over 5 auctions in one week... really burns me... and I know they'll show up "right outta grandad's closet" soon... that closet's the size of that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark...

I know its a free country and there's a sucker born every minute, but damn, to see and try to compete with that unscrupulousness on such a scale kinda sucks...

I think the only part that bothers me is his dishonesty in the descriptions. I don’t like competing with him, but others don’t like competing with me. That’s just how it goes. The false provenance from “granddad” is what gets me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot