Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I think the only part that bothers me is his dishonesty in the descriptions. I don’t like competing with him, but others don’t like competing with me. That’s just how it goes. The false provenance from “granddad” is what gets me.

There's liars, and then there's BullStuffers. :) Not to say some folks aren't both.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Some photos of said hat. Something else I find peculiar is the hat was originally 7 1/4. See tag behind the sweat. Seems like a bunch of shenanigans going on here. View attachment 534243 View attachment 534244 View attachment 534245 View attachment 534246 View attachment 534247 View attachment 534248 View attachment 534249 View attachment 534250 View attachment 534251 View attachment 534252
oh, I've never seen a mid-oval before.

I imagine all of us who collect online have had to learn lessons the hard way about sizing, but it sounds like he took advantage of you. I've messaged a number of folks for more information about sizes and luckily they have all been up front with me and more than a few have even told me straight up that an item won't fit.

Like so many of us here, I have a deep and honest passion for this hobby and having it sullied by a couple of sleaze balls is a bummer. I guess I'll just ignore him from now on.

I have personally been to that Optimo Hatworks in Bisbee, AZ. How did you end up using them?

DiamondJimLA

New in Town
My first eBay hat purchase. Akubra "The Boss". I'd say close to new condition, needs a little cleaning but no defects. My second Akubra, the first was a recently acquired new Akubra Blue Mountains from The Hattery.

EDIT: eBay pics added.
IMG_3697.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg
s-l1600e.jpg
s-l1600g.jpg

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
oh, I've never seen a mid-oval before.

I imagine all of us who collect online have had to learn lessons the hard way about sizing, but it sounds like he took advantage of you. I've messaged a number of folks for more information about sizes and luckily they have all been up front with me and more than a few have even told me straight up that an item won't fit.

Like so many of us here, I have a deep and honest passion for this hobby and having it sullied by a couple of sleaze balls is a bummer. I guess I'll just ignore him from now on.

I have personally been to that Optimo Hatworks in Bisbee, AZ. How did you end up using them?
I just did A Google search, IIRC. It's been a while. And they did A great job with blocking and resizing. I was just disappointed with that sweat. I was already bummed about the hat not fitting and then I had to sacrifice the original sweat. I hadn't seen a mid oval either. But one of these days, when I feel like putting more money into it, I'm sure one of our brothers here can probably affix a leather spacer and reinstall it.

I've enjoyed and learned a few things from this thread.

Tis interesting just how many hats are "Vintage". Probably in hats, that means.....costs a little more?

For the purposes of this forum, " Vintage" means generally pre-1960 or '65 or so. The quality standards began decreasing post-war and by the time the '60s hit, had declined precipitously.

So to us, it means an era when factories turned out better hats, more styles, etc.

I've enjoyed and learned a few things from this thread.

Tis interesting just how many hats are "Vintage". Probably in hats, that means.....costs a little more?

“Vintage” is a pretty nebulous description in the hat world. May sellers use the words pre-owned, vintage, and used interchangeably.

Even here on The Lounge it’s a word with lots of caveats. Few here would consider a 1970s Stetson a vintage hat, but a 1970s Borsalino is a different matter. With lots of exposure you’ll “know it when you see it,” but that doesn’t help when you’re starting out.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

hambone71

Practically Family
I recently bought a Stetson Panama from her. These hats had belonged to her son whom recently passed. She told me the proceeds were going to his funeral expenses.
Screenshot_20230621-191100_kindlephoto-267923760.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24