Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Royal Scott Playfellow Featherweight - Expected arrival tomorrow. A hat that has been on my covet list awaiting a drop in price and knew I’d kick myself if I didn’t pull the trigger. Excited to see the color and felt qualities in person when it arrives…. It may just be the perfect South Florida hat.

View attachment 541006 View attachment 541007 View attachment 541008 View attachment 541009 View attachment 541010 View attachment 541011 View attachment 541012 View attachment 541013
Excellent, Joe!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Screenshot_20230819_134844.jpg

Oh! Sorry. I meant to put this on tje Clean Jokes thread.

hambone71

Practically Family
Thank you for the compliment. It’s a No Black Hats Day here with temps over 100*F.
Tell me about it! I had to go to work for a coup!e of hours and in a customer's house full of drying equipment with no AC running, it was literally 120* inside. I had to open up doors and create a draft just to get it down to 100*.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Wow. That’s a heck of a hat! Super!

Royal Scott Playfellow Featherweight - Expected arrival tomorrow. A hat that has been on my covet list awaiting a drop in price and knew I’d kick myself if I didn’t pull the trigger. Excited to see the color and felt qualities in person when it arrives…. It may just be the perfect South Florida hat.

View attachment 541006 View attachment 541007 View attachment 541008 View attachment 541009 View attachment 541010 View attachment 541011 View attachment 541012 View attachment 541013

blewnote

New in Town
I know there are already some comments about this eBay seller, but what do folks make of his new listing? To me it’s outright false advertising and the comments made in the description are ludicrous:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225683993936?hash=item348bd07550:g:q-8AAOSwfjxktR-9

I bought a hat from this guy once and had no problems. I wonder if I am being unfair to judge him harshly?

I joined up here a few years back to get some education on hats (ended up with a gray Selentino which would be serviceable it were one size smaller and the crown were just a 1/2 inch taller, and an absolutely lovely custom beaver brown fedora from Mike at Northwest Hats) and have recently been looking for a better gray fedora and some homburgs... have been perusing the 'bay and saw several of this sellers listings and almost came here to ask if anyone knew this person in real life because it all just sounded so off.

Almost every listing is a hat that has been stretched up a size, which is just bizarre to me, because if you're selling premo collector's items wouldn't altering them devalue them?And the whole posting for my dad thing was weird. Felt very scammy to me.

But I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so I wrote and asked why they were selling hats for many multiples of what they sold for in other completed listings I was looking at (in similar condition and age). I got a very defensive response with several pictures of boxes upon boxes of hats from dad's collection, and how he touches and shapes each hat personally and that's why they're worth so much. I figured they were just one of the many nutjobs that manages to function in society and said thanks, but your dad's "touch" isn't worth an extra $200-$300 and left it at that.

But then I stumbled on this post this morning and now it all makes sense. My spidey sense was right when it tingled and said something was fishy about this seller. Anyway, people can be as weird as they want to be, but it definitely seems wrong that this person is buying up what is a dwindling reserve of quality vintage felt hats, violating them, and then jacking the resale price up to astronomical levels (which makes any random person that finds an old hat in an attic or at a flea mart think that it's worth much more than it really is).

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I joined up here a few years back to get some education on hats (ended up with a gray Selentino which would be serviceable it were one size smaller and the crown were just a 1/2 inch taller, and an absolutely lovely custom beaver brown fedora from Mike at Northwest Hats) and have recently been looking for a better gray fedora and some homburgs... have been perusing the 'bay and saw several of this sellers listings and almost came here to ask if anyone knew this person in real life because it all just sounded so off.

Almost every listing is a hat that has been stretched up a size, which is just bizarre to me, because if you're selling premo collector's items wouldn't altering them devalue them?And the whole posting for my dad thing was weird. Felt very scammy to me.

But I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so I wrote and asked why they were selling hats for many multiples of what they sold for in other completed listings I was looking at (in similar condition and age). I got a very defensive response with several pictures of boxes upon boxes of hats from dad's collection, and how he touches and shapes each hat personally and that's why they're worth so much. I figured they were just one of the many nutjobs that manages to function in society and said thanks, but your dad's "touch" isn't worth an extra $200-$300 and left it at that.

But then I stumbled on this post this morning and now it all makes sense. My spidey sense was right when it tingled and said something was fishy about this seller. Anyway, people can be as weird as they want to be, but it definitely seems wrong that this person is buying up what is a dwindling reserve of quality vintage felt hats, violating them, and then jacking the resale price up to astronomical levels (which makes any random person that finds an old hat in an attic or at a flea mart think that it's worth much more than it really is).
Check out this weekend’s “Dating your hat” thread starting around post #633. This guy seems like a real menace, glad you listened to your spidey sense.

Mighty44

One Too Many

There have been many discussions about this guy in different threads over the years and most of us steer well clear. He flat out lies a lot of the time. I know because he bought a hat from me and then relisted it as one from dad’s collection at three times the price. Total jerk, imho.

blewnote

New in Town
Curious if any of y'all were the one that pulled the trigger on this one. I was waiting to hear back on whether it actually was the size she said it was (because I would rather not have to return things that show up different than they were listed and she seemed like a nice enough seller) but before I heard back from her someone bought it. Looks like a nice enough hat from a boutique hattery and may actually be as old as the seller claimed it was, although she measured the crown at 4" and 4 3/4" which did seem a little small, but who knows with sellers that don't really seem to know hats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1860277445...uid=b2zcaj1MTuG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great set of hats, Randall.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3257892762...can0sdqtpg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Two nice Borsalinos for $65 apiece including an elusive vintage Borsa box? Thanks!
Of the 90 vintage hat boxes I have this is my first Borsa box.

I have two of these velveteen Borsa Colombo hats already, but at this price couldn’t pass these up. Plus, both are different colors than what I have, so a very nice victory. View attachment 542693

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy