Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Timeras1

New in Town
Okay, I have an ebay gripe, and a question about their policy/procedures.

So, I had a hat for sale, at what I thought was a fair price ($75). It was a nice hat, just didnt look good on me. So I set it at what I got it for at auction, plus $10-$15.

This guy (gogostanwinston98) started pestering me with lowball offers and messages that I respectfully declined for a few days. And when I say "pestered", that's what I mean, he sent conflicting offers (one lower than the one he sent hours previously) and "hey, I want this hat, can I have it for (this ridiculous amount)" a couple of times. After the first few lowball offers (that I declined), I decided I wasnt going to deal at all, and sent a note stating I felt the price I had it at was a fair price, and I couldn't let it go for cheaper. I think he sent at least one other offer, then nothing for a couple of days.

Eventually he purchased the item for the full (fair) price I had set. Then, after receiving the item, he disputed the purchase, claiming he didn't recognize the charge. Ebay sent me a dispute notice, and I promptly replied with the story, and supplied them with screenshots of our interactions, which they forwarded on to his bank, and that I was covered by their policy, (so I wasn't out anything). But that apparently didn't matter, his bank sided with him, and he got the item for free, courtesy of ebay's dispute policy. Its ridiculous, after all the whining and pestering, that this person was able to get away with essentially stealing the item from ebay.

Now I feel like this person is untrustworthy, dishonest and dishonorable, and I wanted to leave some negative feedback, but when I went to leave feedback, the only option I had was "positive". I looked at all of his feedback, and it was all positive... no negative. So, my question is, since I was covered by ebay's dispute policy, is that what limited my feedback option to positive only? Or is it that no one can leave any negative feedback anymore (so what's the point?)

That he felt justified in lying about the purchase, and working the system to get what he wanted dishonestly because I wouldn't give in to his efforts to not pay full price really bugs the crap out of me. I shouldn't be surprised, but sometimes I am. I guess I take it personally, because I feel like he was claiming I was the liar, when clearly it was him.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

So, I had a hat for sale, at what I thought was a fair price ($75). It was a nice hat, just didnt look good on me. So I set it at what I got it for at auction, plus $10-$15.

This guy (gogostanwinston98) started pestering me with lowball offers and messages that I respectfully declined for a few days. And when I say "pestered", that's what I mean, he sent conflicting offers (one lower than the one he sent hours previously) and "hey, I want this hat, can I have it for (this ridiculous amount)" a couple of times. After the first few lowball offers (that I declined), I decided I wasnt going to deal at all, and sent a note stating I felt the price I had it at was a fair price, and I couldn't let it go for cheaper. I think he sent at least one other offer, then nothing for a couple of days.

Eventually he purchased the item for the full (fair) price I had set. Then, after receiving the item, he disputed the purchase, claiming he didn't recognize the charge. Ebay sent me a dispute notice, and I promptly replied with the story, and supplied them with screenshots of our interactions, which they forwarded on to his bank, and that I was covered by their policy, (so I wasn't out anything). But that apparently didn't matter, his bank sided with him, and he got the item for free, courtesy of ebay's dispute policy. Its ridiculous, after all the whining and pestering, that this person was able to get away with essentially stealing the item from ebay.

Now I feel like this person is untrustworthy, dishonest and dishonorable, and I wanted to leave some negative feedback, but when I went to leave feedback, the only option I had was "positive". I looked at all of his feedback, and it was all positive... no negative. So, my question is, since I was covered by ebay's dispute policy, is that what limited my feedback option to positive only? Or is it that no one can leave any negative feedback anymore (so what's the point?)

That he felt justified in lying about the purchase, and working the system to get what he wanted dishonestly because I wouldn't give in to his efforts to not pay full price really bugs the crap out of me. I shouldn't be surprised, but sometimes I am. I guess I take it personally, because I feel like he was claiming I was the liar, when clearly it was him.
Dang! Won't ebay itself ban him? He cheated THEM.

eBay almost always sides with the buyer regardless of the proof you have.

In the future, once you get the bad vibe just block the buyer. You don’t have to provide any reason. I have 30 or so buyers that I’ve blocked.

Mcox47

Familiar Face
eBay almost always sides with the buyer regardless of the proof you have.
I worked for a company that was the largest seller in their mobile electronic category. Even with that kind of clout we struggled to win disputes with buyers. One guy "returned" expensive cell phones over a 3 month period by sending in pieces of wood or sneakers as the returned item, keeping the phones. It took us months to get the charges corrected despite having video proof during the receiving and returns opening process. He even complained when he was blocked and retaliated by creating a new buyer ID.

Seller beware.

Was offered this Willoughby for $16 and change overnight and surprised to see it still there in the AM. Think I’d have been a fool to pass on it. Listed as a size 7…. Measurements might not bear out… we shall see.

IMG_4438.png
IMG_4440.png
IMG_4445.png
IMG_4446.png
IMG_4443.png
IMG_4450.png
IMG_4457.png
IMG_4458.png
IMG_4459.png
IMG_4460.png

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Was offered this Willoughby for $16 and change overnight and surprised to see it still there in the AM. Think I’d have been a fool to pass on it. Listed as a size 7…. Measurements might not bear out… we shall see.

View attachment 544071 View attachment 544072 View attachment 544073 View attachment 544074 View attachment 544075 View attachment 544076 View attachment 544077 View attachment 544078 View attachment 544079 View attachment 544080
It's been listed for ages. Way too small for me, though.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Joe. A Willoughby is still on my Get List.

View attachment 544071 View attachment 544072 View attachment 544073 View attachment 544074 View attachment 544075 View attachment 544076 View attachment 544077 View attachment 544078 View attachment 544079 View attachment 544080

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot