Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Very nice brown homburg. looks perfect. Now show it on your head.

i think my greatest ebay find was a cream Borsalino

Too bad it was stolen on the Queen Mary

Would if I could, but I didn't buy it, just watched it. :( I posted it because of the unusually high price (for a homburg) it brought.

I remember the story about the cream Borsalino. Makes me feel ill just thinking about it!

Regards,
Tom

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember the story about the cream Borsalino. Makes me feel ill just thinking about it!

So do i Matt, I couldn't believe my eyes when I was reading it either.

On another note though.....I really dig your new Avatar Matt, great job and Props to whomever did it. :eusa_clap

feltfan

Tango Yankee said:
Until now. Here's a Stetson St Regis Royal Deluxe, size 7 1/2, that went for just under $200.

3b83_1.JPG
I watched it, too. Might have bid more than that if it
had the saddle curvature that Spiridon's Dobbs homburg has
or if it had been 7 1/2 Long Oval.

This hat has a wonderfully tall crown and wide brim.

I certainly hope some boob doesn't try to make it into
an ugly fedora.

Stoney

Practically Family
cookie said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=130224587974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

What is so nice technically about this hat? Or is it that old "nice hat /right size" combo? Please advise all ye expertos....

It looks like a 1980s or late 1970s lid. Nothing too special but it does have nice proportions and a pretty straight sided block as well as size 7 1/2.
There were only two serious bidders on this one and I think the winner
did OK at $122.50 considering the size. All I can say is that I'm glad that my noggin size is small. I would hate to have to pay rates like this for a decent hat.
Yeah I'm spoiled. [huh] I think you hit the nail on the head nice old hat in the right size.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The style is Temple (Stetson still makes this style). The color is Dove (grey). It's a nice hat but I wouldn't pay that much for one. On the other hand, I live near the Hatco Outlet Store in Garland. I've purchased two of this style there over the last year. I believe I paid about $60.00 each.

cookie said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=130224587974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

What is so nice technically about this hat? Or is it that old "nice hat /right size" combo? Please advise all ye expertos....

bolthead

"All I can say is that I'm glad that my noggin size is small. I would hate to have to pay rates like this for a decent hat.
Yeah I'm spoiled."

I hear that, and I'm happy as well. The only problem I have now is, competing with you, Viper, Harp & a few others here. :D

PS: The list is growing......

J. Baxter

New in Town
gah! The same schmuck vastly outbid me on both of the '30s tweed caps I was after the other week, and they rarely ever seem to come up...

On the other hand I managed to snag this (slightly worn) chocolate Resistol Homburg for only about $20 - either it was due to its' listing not as a homburg but as a 'business hat' or its lack of worth or popularity (as I have noticed above). I'm very happy with it, though it does have a rather large brim for my pinhead.
Photo169.jpg

And I would love to know the vague date of this hat (I was speculating '40s) and can post a picture of the hat-box too if needed.

feltfan

J. Baxter

New in Town
Sorry, this is the best I could do. The clear material has become rather opaque.
Photo172.jpg

The leather sweat-band says: President - Jack's Jaggery [address]... - Aqua-Brut by Campbell in gold emboss.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Look under the sweatband to see if there is any information there. There may be one or two tags either on the sides or in the back.

J. Baxter said:
Sorry, this is the best I could do. The clear material has become rather opaque.
Photo172.jpg

The leather sweat-band says: President - Jack's Jaggery [address]... - Aqua-Brut by Campbell in gold emboss.

AlanC

Victory?

I don't know if it will fit yet, but this one makes me swoon. It might (I said, 'might' ;) ) cure me of my Strat/OR lust:

disney3pj1.jpg

disney2qx5.jpg

If it's tight I may have to make use of Ande's Franko-stretcher.

Crane's

Familiar Face
I bid to win this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190224391878

It's a Portis bowler, dark brown, size 6 7/8 that's supposed to be pretty much brand new. From what I've read here at the Lounge this company produced very very nice hats, yes? If I read things right the company was Chicago based and went out of business around 1960, correct? If these things are true then this hat will be on mein kopf at a very special event in the near future.....

AlanC

^I'm downright shocked that a hat in that size went for over $100. The picture of the frolicking bunnies below "Imported Fur" cracks me up. lol

136218117tpan6.jpg

Looks like a great hat.

Edited to add pic.

Crane's

Familiar Face
Shhhh.... I'm hunting wabbit....

AlanC said:
^I'm downright shocked that a hat in that size went for over $100. The picture of the frolicking bunnies below "Imported Fur" cracks me up. lol

Looks like a great hat.

AlanC, thanks. By chance are the things I mentioned about the company correct, especially being Chicago based?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24