Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tom....

That Pilgrim is Sweet, I still haven't found one in my size yet. You found yourself a beaut. :eusa_clap

As far as that green Whippet goes.....that's the 2nd time it was listed. It didn't even sell the 1st time around. I passed on in it because of the Ribbon replacement...........[huh]

Garrett

As far as that green Whippet goes.....that's the 2nd time it was listed. It didn't even sell the 1st time around. I passed on in it because of the Ribbon replacement...........[huh][/QUOTE]

Indeed, the replacement ribbon was the reason I passed initially. The second time around my strict criteria mysteriously vanished! [huh]

bolthead

Garrett said:
As far as that green Whippet goes.....that's the 2nd time it was listed. It didn't even sell the 1st time around. I passed on in it because of the Ribbon replacement...........[huh]

Indeed, the replacement ribbon was the reason I passed initially. The second time around my strict criteria mysteriously vanished! [huh]

You still got an Amazing deal.....it is a Whippet after all.
I really like that Lion hat, nice Pug. :eusa_clap

Almost certainly fur felt, and a high quality hat.

bk

HamletJSD said:
Complete gamble on this one ... probably wool and too small ... but it sure looks pretty for $ 9.50

1c06_1.JPG

"This auction features a derby style hat that insider label states "FIELDCRAFT" "The Store for Men Marshall Field & Company Chicago" The inside band is marked "Marshall Field & Company" No size is listed, but the circumfence of the hat is just over 21" This hat is in good condition and comes in a "Champ Hats" box. Box is in fair/good condition."

Looks like a never-bashed fedora to me, but the image quality is a bit lacking.

We'll see!!!

glazierman

New in Town
anyone have a ggod method for removing nasty smoke smell from a hat? My 12 yr old son just bought his 1st vintage cavanagh on ebay. There was no mention of smoke smell in the listing. The thing reeks like old cigars. I,m a die hard non smoker so I'm at a loss for what to use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Stick it outside to air for couple of days, steam it, then put it back out for a couple more. That should take care of all or most of it, at least it has in my experience.

RBH

Bartender
glazierman said:
anyone have a ggod method for removing nasty smoke smell from a hat? My 12 yr old son just bought his 1st vintage cavanagh on ebay. There was no mention of smoke smell in the listing. The thing reeks like old cigars. I,m a die hard non smoker so I'm at a loss for what to use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I would use [and have used] the coleman fuel ,white gas method of cleaning.
You can run a search here but the lowdown is take the hat - put it in a bucket with a lid - pour a gallon or so of Coleman fuel over the hat in the bucket - put on the lid - shake it up a few times over a 3 -6 -24 hour period [according to how bad the hat is] - take the hat out - hang it up
DO ALL OF THIS OUTSIDE!!!!!!
I have done this to many of my hats with no ill effect at all.

troy

One of the Regulars

Garrett

Dinerman

Dinerman said:
'50s, and it should have a great short, luxurious plush finish to it.

Dinerman sold me my first Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe two years ago. A lovely dark brown velour with black ribbon which he found in an antique shop somewhere. Dinerman, do you remember if this hat was earlier than the one in the auction today?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think the one in the auction is earlier than the one that came through me.

The one I sold you, if I remember it properly, should have a deeper plush than the one you just bought. The gray one should be a little bit stiffer, too, from the looks of it, though stiffer doesn't seem quite the right word, maybe less floppy is more appropriate?
It's amazing how many different kinds of plush finishes Borsalino made. All different depths, hands, stiffnesses,

Please let us know when you get it. You got a hell of a nice hat there.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
glazierman said:
acording to the listing it said it was a size 4 1/2 ?? is that some kind of sizing I'm not familiar with? Or is it for a kidlet

Punti hat sizing. Translates to an American size 7.

Garrett

glazierman said:
thanks for the clarification. i didn't think that the girl in the listings head was that tiny

Glazierman, I'd be happy to show that hat to you once it arrives as we are both in the Portland metro area. By the way, will you be attending dinner with Art Fawcett, MK, Paddy, and the others tomorrow evening? Here is a link to the event http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35766 hope to see ya there!

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Here are some slightly better shots of the "Fieldcraft Twenty" (super fast shipper, BTW).

3076580232_279da33039_m.jpg
3075746507_95567b4133_m.jpg
3076578282_b2d5ecb088_m.jpg

It has a form of over-welt edge ... new to me as all of my other hats are either bound or raw.

3076576444_293a42e4d4_m.jpg

This is clearly a nice hat. Very soft, lightweight, thin felt. Liner is yellowed with age, a few small spots here and there, but otherwise clean. UNFORTUNATELY, it is way too small. I plan to see if I can convince my wife to try it, otherwise it'll be headed to the classifieds.

glazierman

New in Town
Garrett said:
Glazierman, I'd be happy to show that hat to you once it arrives as we are both in the Portland metro area. By the way, will you be attending dinner with Art Fawcett, MK, Paddy, and the others tomorrow evening? Here is a link to the event http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35766 hope to see ya there!
Sorry I wont be able to make it. I am still a newbe here so I don't think I could show up in one of my less than purfect hats. Besides my wife is working and my kids are still too young to leave home alone.Last time I drank with an Irishmen I did'nt remember having done it.Ha Ha

bolthead

HamletJSD said:
Here are some slightly better shots of the "Fieldcraft Twenty" (super fast shipper, BTW).

3076580232_279da33039_m.jpg
3075746507_95567b4133_m.jpg
3076578282_b2d5ecb088_m.jpg

It has a form of over-welt edge ... new to me as all of my other hats are either bound or raw.

3076576444_293a42e4d4_m.jpg

This is clearly a nice hat. Very soft, lightweight, thin felt. Liner is yellowed with age, a few small spots here and there, but otherwise clean. UNFORTUNATELY, it is way too small. I plan to see if I can convince my wife to try it, otherwise it'll be headed to the classifieds.
Very nice, what size is it? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou