Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

babs

A-List Customer
Well I'm now waiting on this little guy to arrive in the mail.. My 1st ebay hat purchase and only 2nd dress hat purchase. Not sure what to expect but for the price, I figured eh, take a chance... Compared to retail on Miller's site, I figured it was a seriously nice deal to see how Miller fur hats are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120444772613&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

What would you officianados call this type of hat? I think the pinches were added and not original.. I think on Miller's site the closest thing to it is one of their stingy brim hats with center dent only. I thought it looked sharp, brim up ala Rocky / Bruce Willis, or down with a kind of 50's look about it, I guess.. You vintage experts might be able to classify the look/period better I'm sure.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A side effect of Michael Jackson's death...

...seems to be that now hats on eBay are being referred to as "Michael Jackson" style hats instead of Johnny Depp or Indiana Jones. I guess it's a "marketing" thing. :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

lc1484

One of the Regulars
Ande1964 said:
Not sure what I got here. I hope it really is close to my 7 1/2 size.

Anj

!BV+yP7!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlvGm7BKVS7koTQQ~~_1.JPG
!BV+yY2QCGk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLl1kKDBKVS8Tcmng~~_1.JPG

!BV+yUTQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBKVS79Qb0Q~~_1.JPG

Ande,
I was curious on that one too, as I was a 7 1/2.

Let me know

Larry

Dreispitz said:
Mario said:
Well...I have to confess that, when I sniffed it out on the bay and sadly discovered that it was not my size, I tipped it off to a certain someone - who got outbid on it...by you! :D

:whip: :cheers1: :cry: :p ;) ;)

Fun! I will post in on the German Austrian ... when it is here. It is indeed quite unusual. Looks like a bound edge on the pics. This is again very much an US style. The sweatband is broad - could be 50ies or even earlier. I am curious what other discoveries it will bring.

Good to see you won it. I just threw out a max bid on Mario's tip and you sniped it. I detect some Borsalino influence in there too. Most of the available 50s and earlier German - Austrian dress hats are homburgs, bowlers and top hats.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I detect some Borsalino influence in there too. Most of the available 50s and earlier German - Austrian dress hats are homburgs, bowlers and top hats.[/QUOTE]

Borsalino influence? Yes. I always wonder, where this style originally comes from? The States? Was it Borsalino influencing Stetson, etc. or the other way round?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
I was actually waiting for other bidders to come in. It still has the tags on and the sweatband bow seams to feature no signs of brownisch discolouration (usually a sign for a hat having been worn). I was kind of desperate for a black Cavanagh. They are quite scarce, though. Let´s see what will arrive in the end.

By the way, when did Cavanagh stop produce hats?

I have three answers, so pick the one you likelol :

1. They haven't stopped producing Cavanaghs. Caps are still produced under the Cavanagh brand, and as recently as two years ago, you could get a Cavanagh felt hat.

2. They stopped producing Cavanaghs in 1972 when Hat Corporation of America sold out to Koracorp, thus ending any continuity of production from 1928 to 1972.

3. I don't know when they stopped producing them. Koracorp (and the various companies the followed them), produced Cavanagh at least until sometime in the '70s, maybe into the '80s. I suppose there's even the chance they continued into the '90s. I've never pursued that information, but HATCO might be able to divulge that, if they have the sales information.

I usually go with answer number 2.

Brad

lc1484

One of the Regulars
Borsalino Argento Nero

I won this a couple of days ago. I was debating to let the auction go through as it was only at about 30 bucks, but debated and just used the BIN of $110. Looked pretty clean.

283663518_tp.jpg

283664144_tp.jpg

283663981_tp.jpg

283664325_tp.jpg

283664061_tp.jpg

283664494_tp.jpg

Larry

lc1484

One of the Regulars
Vintage Knox 20

I also won this won for $63 and some change...

Larry

eh6.jpg
eh8.jpg
:)
eh1.jpg
eh2.jpg
eh4.jpg

I hadn't bid on anything or bought any new hats in about a year and get to looking and find 2 in less then a weeks span.

[huh]

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hello Brad,

when Cavanagh Edges instantaneously disapperaed in "Cavanagh Hats" after 1972, 2. would be a good end of an era dating.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Hello Brad,

when Cavanagh Edges instantaneously disapperaed in "Cavanagh Hats" after 1972, 2. would be a good end of an era dating.

And I'm not 100% certain they did disappear in 1972. I suspect they did, but have no evidence to suggest either way.

But yeah, end of an era is right.

Brad

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
...seems to be that now hats on eBay are being referred to as "Michael Jackson" style hats instead of Johnny Depp or Indiana Jones. I guess it's a "marketing" thing. :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

Yeah, but I just stumbled over a 'real' Michael Jackson Fedora, a hat that was awarded to crew members after the HiStory tour, complete with label carrying the name of the owner and acknowledgements from MJ...with a price tag way beyond the $250...

Dreispitz said:
I detect some Borsalino influence in there too. Most of the available 50s and earlier German - Austrian dress hats are homburgs, bowlers and top hats.

Borsalino influence? Yes. I always wonder, where this style originally comes from? The States? Was it Borsalino influencing Stetson, etc. or the other way round?[/QUOTE]

I would think the roots have to be Euro but I know the 50s Wegener I have has a heavy Stetson influence.

babs

A-List Customer
lc1484 said:
I also won this won for $63 and some change...

Larry

eh6.jpg
eh1.jpg

I hadn't bid on anything or bought any new hats in about a year and get to looking and find 2 in less then a weeks span.

[huh]

Dang NICE Homburg Larry... I love the lay of that brim.. Been trying to figure out how to make my new wool bailey homburg brim like that.. In homburgs I prefer the flat brim look verses the side curls. From the front mine makes a big smile, which I'd like to flatten. (newb alert: I gotta find good how-to's in here on adjusting/modifying brims). :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
babs said:
Dang NICE Homburg Larry... I love the lay of that brim.. Been trying to figure out how to make my new wool bailey homburg brim like that.. In homburgs I prefer the flat brim look verses the side curls. From the front mine makes a big smile, which I'd like to flatten. (newb alert: I gotta find good how-to's in here on adjusting/modifying brims). :)

Except it's not a homburg, it's a snap brim. The best way to get your Bailey to do that is to have it reflanged as a snap brim by a hatter. There are several folks around that have flattened their own homburg brims, so maybe they'll chime in.

Brad

babs

A-List Customer
You can tell my "hat" eyes haven't developed yet. Indeed.. the crown is similar, but more of a 'stingy-er' brim without the big edge ribbon typical of a homburg.

... Come to think of it, if I remove what appears to be user installed pinches on the ebay hat I just won, it's essentially about the same style as that one except black and a Miller / Biltmore.. A basic stingy center crease.

Alchemy5150

New in Town
A better look at my recent Stetson from ebay

Once again, the seller estimated this hat to be from the 50's (though the straight sided tall crown makes me wonder). Either way I got it for 46 bucks and the quality/condition of it makes it a bargain.

DSCN0149a.jpg

DSCN0151a.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Alchemy5150 said:
Once again, the seller estimated this hat to be from the 50's (though the straight sided tall crown makes me wonder). Either way I got it for 46 bucks and the quality/condition of it makes it a bargain.

DSCN0149a.jpg

DSCN0151a.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg
That's a beautiful hat. Congratulations and enjoy! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner