Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Within the past 15 years or so I'd say. I'm fairly sure the newer "Mallory by Stetsons" are wool felts. The line was discontinued about a year ago.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I'm fairly sure the newer "Mallory by Stetsons" are wool felts.

I'd reached the same conclusion. I've come across several that turned out to be wool rather then fur felt. Generally they were in small lots of hats, but I decided to stay away from any Mallory by Stetson's I might see on ebay for that reason.

Cheers,
Tom

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Cross Country Blue Heather Mix

!BcK4jYQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEqtIdSigNBKzTh1,DV!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...egory=163623&sspagename=rvi:1:1#ht_500wt_1182

billysmom

One Too Many
Knox Premier

Another lounger won this one awhile back but the size was stated incorrectly. Knox 6 7/8 hats fit a bit snug on me, but at the price I paid I can risk a bit of stretcher time.

Knox1012.jpg

Sue

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You Bugger Sue.....

billysmom said:
Another lounger won this one awhile back but the size was stated incorrectly. Knox 6 7/8 hats fit a bit snug on me, but at the price I paid I can risk a bit of stretcher time.

Knox1012.jpg

Sue
Did you snipe me on this one?

I loved it, glad it went to a lounger....can't wait to see it on you. :eusa_clap

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mayser for 50 EURO Cent!

Here is a Mayser, NWT, fetched on the Bay for 5 EURO of which 4, 50 are shipping. I am courious about, what will arrive. :)

It was about 100 EURO when it was bought initially in Salzburg. And that was before the EURO was introduced.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:

Knox1012.jpg

Sue

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I thought you'd be after this one, Sue... :D

I really loved the colors, but - budget limitations aside - I don't really go for the narrow brims anymore (with the possible exception of hats from the 1930's).

Still, a great hat. The ribbon is a killer.

billysmom

One Too Many
Mario said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I thought you'd be after this one, Sue... :D

I really loved the colors, but - budget limitations aside - I don't really go for the narrow brims anymore (with the possible exception of hats from the 1930's).

Still, a great hat. The ribbon is a killer.

Yes, the ribbon sucked me in.

Sue

Dreispitz said:
Here is a Mayser, NWT, fetched on the Bay for 5 EURO of which 4, 50 are shipping. I am courious about, what will arrive. :)

It was about 100 EURO when it was bought initially in Salzburg. And that was before the EURO was introduced.

Always great to pay more for the shipping. :) Fedora with Homburg elements? Look forward to seeing more details.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Barton

I already posted this in the New Hats thread, but here's that Barton, back after a stint in rehab at Mike Moore's place.

When I got the Barton out, a small tag fell to the floor. I hadn't noticed it before, but I thought it might be of some interest here, so I photocopied it & blew it up 400% so that y'alll could see it. I wasn't sure where else to put this.
The copy is in black and white, but the tag is a brownish paper, with black ink. Only the "64" in the upper right corner is in color. That's red.

Sargon

Familiar Face
My new Stetson

I just fished this Stetson out of the bay and its got me scratching my head (no not because of fleas)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360195121393&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'll have to get some pics up of it soon, but with my limited experience with Stetsons I've never seen another like it. It has a raw brim and is factory shaped. The sweat is perhaps one of the most pliant I have and the felt is baby soft and a little long haired.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Some of you Borso lovers may need to turn your head.

Several weeks ago I bought a Borsalino Rapallo that needed a cleaning. I learned a valuable lesson after soaking the liner in a Woolite bath for a few hours;
Sometimes Woolite makes logos go away! The liner came out yellowed and without that satin "sheen" as well.

I'll never do that again!

Anyhow the hat went to Optimo for a re-build and came home with a new blank liner.

Just by chance while dredging the 'bay today I found this little Borsalino and could NOT pass it up. All I want is the liner,......it's not correct for the 1960's Rapallo, but I really don't care,....at least the word Borsalino will be inside the hat again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350263483363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Sacrilege? Perhaps,....

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
You're going to give some future hat collector an absolute fit. Some of those people are the real anal type. Sure glad I am not one of those.;) :) :p TLH

High Pockets said:
Several weeks ago I bought a Borsalino Rapallo that needed a cleaning. I learned a valuable lesson after soaking the liner in a Woolite bath for a few hours;
Sometimes Woolite makes logos go away! The liner came out yellowed and without that satin "sheen" as well.

Anyhow the hat went to Optimo for a re-build and came home with a new blank liner.

Just by chance while dredging the 'bay today I found this little Borsalino and could NOT pass it up. All I want is the liner,......it's not correct for the 1960's Rapallo, but I really don't care,....at least the word Borsalino will be inside the hat again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350263483363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Sacrilege? Perhaps,....

billysmom

One Too Many
Lembert

We're having a leadership retreat at work next Friday and the theme is Oktoberfest. So I "needed" a trachten. :rolleyes: I put out the word in the Classifieds, but with the short timeframe I had no luck. (Thanks, for looking for me, Dreispitz.) Found this on eBay, though:

Lembert.jpg

Lembert1.jpg

It looks as if it will serve the purpose. Ah, rationalization ........

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:

I've heard this before, but I've personally only had that problem once, and it was when I doubled the woolite concentration; however, after hearing others mention the issue you are talking about, the last few times I've done it differently (I'm paranoid): turn the liner inside-out, then place it in the woolite to where the label part is resting just above the woolite solution. then splash some cold water on the actual label to rinse off the woolite and leave everything soaking for a few hours (or more). Then rinse in cold water. You should be fine.

Bottom line is that sometimes the liner is so nasty that it has to be cleaned thoroughly, and it's possible to do it yourself cheaply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy