Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Levallois

Practically Family

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Levallois said:
$338 !!!! Are you kidding me? What makes this hat worth that much? I'd appreciate the education. Thanks!

John

Beats me. Nice crown, great brim width, so I'm throwing early model. Nice colour and the grosgrain ribbon colour is superb. Even has that flare at the end of the bow, which I think was done in the past. Can't quite tell from the pics but it's probably a Cav-edge, but can't see anything in the liner that indicating if this was a more expensive model Cavanagh. The esteemed Mr Bowers might know. I'm just throwing my amateurish observation in there. :D

Still, $338 would be too steep a price to pay for most people here.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Cav edge

That Cavanaugh started out at $10! I bid on it on the extreeeeeeeemely slim chance that it might get overlooked by the masses. I guestimate that hat is of 1940s vintage with that huge crown and what looks like a genuine cav edge.

Does that warrant a price over $300? I dunno...a lot of members have works of Art Fawcett that cost $300. Would the quality be comparable?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Well, the seller was likely one of us...

... since the auction listing talks about a "bash" instead of a "crease" in the crown.

Just checked Terapeek and there have 94 vintage + fedora + 1/2 listings in last 90 days; 76.6% sell-through; average price $58.94; 5 hats over $200; one Borsalino at $375.00.

Only other hat with "cav" in the listing head was this one:

1940's MacLachlan 7 1/2 Cav edge vintage fedora hat which sold for $230.00

buler

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
... since the auction listing talks about a "bash" instead of a "crease" in the crown.

Just checked Terapeek and there have 94 vintage + fedora + 1/2 listings in last 90 days; 76.6% sell-through; average price $58.94; 5 hats over $200; one Borsalino at $375.00.

Wow, that MacLachlan's a beauty!

B

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:
I came in second but I went a little crazy - way over what I wanted to spend. $338 !!!! Is this an "in the ball park" price for a Cavanagh like this? Thank goodness someone out bid me - my wife would have skinned me alive. Thanks! John

It seems to me that Cavanaghs with wide brims are a little hard to come by. Certainly they're not as common as those with narrower brims. Combine that with size and condition and you end up with an expensive hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:

That was one I sold - and it was a 'BIN', so it's possible it could have gone a bit higher.

Huge high-quality hats generally go high, but finding an old Cavanagh with a wide-brim is a guarantee.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
Yeah, that seller (runscott) has sold some sweet hats. 37 listings in last 90 days; 97.3% sell-through; several for $100-$200+

Another great one: 1950-53 Knox Twenty 7 1/4 Cav edge vintage fedora hat that sold for $220.00

Thanks! That was another BIN that might have gone higher. Unfortunately, I've had a hard time finding an old wide-brim Cav edge that fit me well and had the right crown. Plus, I've lately developed an addiction to the shorter raw-brim '30s fedoras.

The one you mention is probably the nicest all-around hat (looks, quality, condition) that I've owned.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'd say that's a fair price for that Cavanagh. I was watching that one, but didn't plan to bid. Definitely has a Cavanagh Edge; I'll be surprised if it's not stamped on the sweatband, but the seller didn't mention it. I'll also be surprised if the crown really is 6 3/8" tall, as that would be the tallest Cavanagh crown I've ever heard of.lol But, the wide brim, and larger size certainly drove the price up. But, for what's probably an early-'40s Cavanagh, it's still fair.

Hope someone here got it so we can get more details.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
I'd say that's a fair price for that Cavanagh. I was watching that one, but didn't plan to bid. Definitely has a Cavanagh Edge; I'll be surprised if it's not stamped on the sweatband, but the seller didn't mention it. I'll also be surprised if the crown really is 6 3/8" tall, as that would be the tallest Cavanagh crown I've ever heard of.lol But, the wide brim, and larger size certainly drove the price up. But, for what's probably an early-'40s Cavanagh, it's still fair.

Hope someone here got it so we can get more details.

Brad
Looks like the gray one I had (now Diego's). Probably a 5-3/4" crown--I guess if you poke it in the center you could stretch that point over 6".(That one sold for under $25.00)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'll bet you're right about that 5 3/4" height.

I'm wondering just how much the crease job on this hat contributed to its final price. You don't usually see that much rake on auction hats, and it sure gives it more panache. Just an thought.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino 5-1/2?

!Bg7j89QB2k~$(KGrHqQH-DQEsMc3dsTIBLHBk56!3!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IT:1123#ht_500wt_956
Not quite sure if this is for me or a doll size-wise...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Punti 5-1/2 = US 7-1/4
I managed to learn that it had a 5-1/2 red tag(etichetta) which would logically be Punti(58cm), but the description also said 52-53(6-5/8 which might be a misread 3-1/2 Punti) and I never received the circumference measurement. Hoping for the best.

rlk said:
I managed to learn that it had a 5-1/2 red tag(etichetta) which would logically be Punti(58cm), but the description also said 52-53(6-5/8 which might be a misread 3-1/2 Punti) and I never received the circumference measurement. Hoping for the best.

Also noticed the XS. Hopefully it is 5 1/2 (58cm).

Mario

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Looks like a nice hat. :eusa_clap

Duper

Practically Family
Stetson Open Road

Well after many attempts I finally won an Open Road of my liking. I have been fishing the "Bay" for months. Up until now it had been like trying to drive a train up a dirt road. Sized wrong, not as clean as advertised etc. Seems like there was always a sniper waiting in the distance or the price went a little higher than I had hoped.

I picked it up for $23.50 US. I think it is in great shape, open crown, 2 1/4 inch brim. The sweat is soft and supple and it is marked The Open Road 3X Beaver Quality.

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!BgL7iUgBGk~$(KGrHqUH-DUEsNGN5MiDBLEW,Gi7ow~~_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!BgL7kk!!mk~$(KGrHqQH-DgEsMR!J2)0BLEW,NMs(w~~_12.JPG

Now I was searching around the Lounge for the best method to clean it up before I slap it on my noggin. I'm not ready to get into the naptha bath business yet and I think it is in good enough shape to not have to send it off for a professional cleaning. What I am looking around for is just some general appearence and hygienic type suggestions.

I think I read a "freezer" tip from HarpPlayerGene so I left it out in my garage for 24 hrs to try and keep any little critters at bay. It is below freezing out there right now. Brrrr.

I plan to give it a good brushing as I just received 2 new hat brushes (light and dark bristles) in the mail Thursday.

I think I read a tip from gtdean48 a while back to to use disinfectant wipes on the inside sweat and plastic liner.

Does anyone have some other suggestions for doing a clean up?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Duper said:
I think I read a tip from gtdean48 a while back to to use disinfectant wipes on the inside sweat and plastic liner.

Does anyone have some other suggestions for doing a clean up?

Yes! I'd be interested in hearing how folks "disinfect" their second hand [or third, fourth, or fifth] hats.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot