Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
That, and I also suspect the bidders didn't realize it's not a true Cavanagh.

Brad

It's probable that for some, the take-home message regarding Cavanaghs is that 'wide-brim Cavanaghs are rare', rather than 'wide-brim Cavanagh edge, vintage Cavanaghs are rare'.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
It's probable that for some, the take-home message regarding Cavanaghs is that 'wide-brim Cavanaghs are rare', rather than 'wide-brim Cavanagh edge, vintage Cavanaghs are rare'.
Forget brim width or rarity, its the same as a modern Resistol or Stetson the only thing it has in common with a Cavanagh are C a v a n a g h.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Salty O'Rourke said:
Scored this today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=360226573690&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

Looks to be in good shape, I hope the photo color is true-to-life, I love the copper ribbon and brim binding.

Any idea as to who made Richman Bros hats? Lee maybe?

I'm of the belief that they used various companies, because I've seen some of their hats that I know were made by Maclachlan, while others seem quite different.

I don't know who made yours, but I like it.
:eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Forget brim width or rarity, its the same as a modern Resistol or Stetson the only thing it has in common with a Cavanagh are C a v a n a g h.

It's probable that for some...

Dreispitz

One Too Many
zetwal said:
What's the story behind those little brushes such as on the green hat above?

Right, those little brushes are made of chamois beard hair. In German they are called Gamsbart and are common in Bavaria and Austria. The bigger, the more expensive, rare ... and the more important, potent ;) the wearer feels. There are "who has the biggest one" contests. Parallels to dxxk fights are only accidental lol

Check Gamsbart on Google pictures and you will see what it is about.

Here is a picture of the "Miesbacher" style male country costume

Also see this:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvMe9V7e2wA&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvMe9V7e2wA&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
buler said:
Yowza... $412 + shipping for a Whippet.

B

Whippet
Yikes!! I watched that one all week. It was at like 80 bones on it's first day. The whippet thing is something I don't understand. I mean they do look good but as far a quality vs price paid goes something just does not add up[huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
Yikes!! I watched that one all week. It was at like 80 bones on it's first day. The whippet thing is something I don't understand. I mean they do look good but as far a quality vs price paid goes something just does not add up[huh]

NOS, 7 3/8, Whippet, pristine condition...

Hmmm.....

JTL strikes again? [huh]

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
I watched that Stetson auction as well. I couldn't believe the price it went for. Sure, it's an NOS in a desirable size, but I'd much rather put that kind of money in a custom, and have change for dinner.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mickey D said:
I watched that Stetson auction as well. I couldn't believe the price it went for. Sure, it's an NOS in a desirable size, but I'd much rather put that kind of money in a custom, and have change for dinner.

I had a ca. 1940 Whippet in virtually mint condition - they really are fabulous. Same for the old Playboys - an original $5 Playboy has some of the nicest felt imaginable. Just because these old Stetsons were inexpensive didn't mean they were cheap.

On the other hand, I'd rather have three of these (almost four) than that single Whippet, but that's just me:

Stetson 7X Beaver 50

!BkQ6SWQBGk~$(KGrHqQH-EQEs92yHJKQBLW2WgfC3!~~_12.JPG

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
I had a ca. 1940 Whippet in virtually mint condition - they really are fabulous. Same for the old Playboys - an original $5 Playboy has some of the nicest felt imaginable. Just because these old Stetsons were inexpensive didn't mean they were cheap.

On the other hand, I'd rather have three of these (almost four) than that single Whippet, but that's just me:

It's probably a pretty good hat for 50 beavers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy