Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Artie

Suspended
It is nuts. It's the Holland tulip craze. What I worry about is counterfeits, how hard would it be to have a stamp made that could mimic that stamp on the sweatband. I mean when the only difference between a 50$ Royal Stetson and 500$ Whippet is that little stamp.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
There's two (I think) Whippets in the 'bay right now that are 1/8. After they go off, I think it would be the opportune time for you to sell. Unless you want to give it to me. :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
$510 for a size 7? Wow!! You never know what a Whippet will go for on the bay. I was looking at a brown 7 1/4 Whippet on the bay a while back. I "settled" for a 1950's Soverign with mode edge instead, and for a lot less $$. The Whippets are getting out of sight.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Same here, Tom. I bookmarked that one to see what the final price would be. I thought $200 for a size 7 was ridiculous, but $511! I am floored.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Meaning that the thought of going to all of the work necessary to "counterfeit" a Whippet so that, just maybe, someone might possibly pick up a couple hundred bucks, is absurd.

Incidentally, does anyone seriously doubt that the high price of Whippets is directly tied to this Forum?

Cheers,
JtL

Artie

Suspended
I might be wrong but I don't think members of this forum are the ones spending the astronomical sums on Whippets. But then again I am interested in who is? There is a seeming level irrationality to these purchases, I mean why Whippets, why not Playboys or Flagships or pick your Stetson.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just to be clear -- what I mean is that it is the influence of this Forum that leads to this kind of phenomenon. I have no doubt of that. Are the people making these purchases members of the Forum? Maybe. Perhaps they are lurkers. But, one way or the other, I think that the influence of this Forum factors into the equation.

Cheers,
JtL

RBH

Bartender
You are right Jimmy. When I first joined, Stratoliners went for a reasonable price. Even for a large size. But the more members here talked them up [and many here already owned one or two] the higher the cost went. The same with Open Roads, and now it would seem the Whippet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael