Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very Nice...

carouselvic said:
For me it's the "change-up" in the weave. In the ebay photo it can be seen.

Here is a older Cuenca hat of mine. The change in weave can be seen on the brim and on the crown.
PS The Llano weave is found on some old Cuenca hats. I recommend PANAMA A LEGENDARY HAT by Assouline. Great source of information on all Panama hats.
...and that wooden boater is the bee's knees. :eusa_clap

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Bubble wrap and plastic garbage bag material wrapped around an antique straw boater and shipped overseas is a recipe for disaster. EBay's reviewing my case now. I emailed them the photos, so I think I have a pretty solid case.

batteredbattersby.jpg

battersbypackaging.jpg

I nominate the seller for eBay Cretin of the Month.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Bubble wrap + The ocean + Antique boater + Dumb seller = Ouch!

Sorry for your loss. I hope eBay gives you what you deserve as far as the case is concerned.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Thanks, guys. I'd be even more irritated if it would have fit me at all, but it didn't. The seller said it measured 24 inches, and I emailed to get clarification that it was measured around the inside of the sweatband, and they said yes. I did a quick measurement of the inside circumference, and it was closer to 22 inches. Around the outside it was about 24 inches. Still, it could have fit somebody, and it was a nice piece of British hat history. Battersbys seem to be pretty scarce. Even if I didn't pass it on to someone else, I could have kept it as a nice wall hanger. It's a shame.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
Just curious; why is the 7 near stingy a later one? From what I see, it has no plastic liner tip, and the swirl motif on the liner is gold, not blue? Or do I have my wires crossed, and it's opposite?
Actually, the liner and sweatband look like an older Whippet, but the bow is wrong and the brim is much narrower as is the binding, so its either modified or mixed components.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
For me it's the "change-up" in the weave. In the ebay photo it can be seen.

OK, this I understand. I've reviewed the photos and I can see this clearly on the third photo. I think I was distracted by the blemish before.

TMoomaw

New in Town
Resistol Straw Open Road clone

maverick.jpg

Been looking for something like this for awhile. The tag inside reads, Maverick as the style and Avario as the color, price 8.95 back in the day.

resistolmav1.jpg

It reshaped nicely, here it is in a C Crown.

Anyone heard of Picot? Is that the stitching, or straw?
Love my hat,
TMoo

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
You are right Jimmy. When I first joined, Stratoliners went for a reasonable price. Even for a large size. But the more members here talked them up [and many here already owned one or two] the higher the cost went. The same with Open Roads, and now it would seem the Whippet.

All my favorites too.....:(

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just curious, does anyone else here bid on things with a week to go, when they are still cheap, purely out of wishful thinking?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
Just curious, does anyone else here bid on things with a week to go, when they are still cheap, purely out of wishful thinking?

Once in a while I'll put in an early bid as a reminder to myself that I may be interested in something. Other then that I normally just set a sniper. If it's not something I want badly enough to put a high snipe on it, I put a low one. If it wins it wins, if it doesn't, oh well.

Back when eBay showed bidder user names some of us used to put in a "holding" bid to let others know a fellow lounger was interested in a hat. It wasn't a guarantee that another lounger wouldn't bid on it if they wanted it badly enough, but I know that I often opted not to bid on such an auction so as to not drive the price up. Once eBay changed their policy, though, all bets were off! :p

Of course, we can still sometimes tell who is bidding but you have to be paying strict attention to who posts their won auctions here and the clues that provides to do so.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay