Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay schlockiness....

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I put up a Cuenca hat that will list right below an untrue Montecristi hat.

I was going to copy her ad word for word, but I thought ebay would end the auction.

I flat out tell the people that it is from Montecristi, yes, but it was woven in the highlands.

Jochafran is not a friend of mine and never will be. He exports these hats as true Montecristis. As he tools around in his little blue sportstruck in Montecristi while the weavers walk in in bare feet...I say a few things to him (not naughty, just...nice truck...thank the weavers in Cuenca.....etc.) and go about my business. He is even listed in the Lonely Planet guidebook as the guy to see. If you go to Montecristi do me a favor...don't buy from Jochafran...buy from Modesto Mero, Flerida Pachay, Glenda Pachay, or Rosendo Delgado.

Ebay accepts the fact that since a hat was finished in Montecristi (in this case, the inner and outer bands were attached in Montecristi) you can list it as a Montecristi.

If I keep listing them like this I don't feel like I'm misleading the people and if they want to pay this % I'll keep selling them....gotta keep buying the baby those shoes and at this % of profit how can I not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8110659320&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We don't want this forum...

This should NOT turn into a forum for bashing other sellers, as it had extreme negative results on another site. I viewed the site, and he lists the auction as"

"
Description (revised)
This is a Highland Cuenca Panama Hat finished and shipped from Montecristi. The hat finisher has stamped the hat Genuine Montecristi and signed by him Jochafran. We do know that this is not a hat woven in Montecristi, only finished in Montecristi. We'll Send a FREE BOX that says GENUINE MONTECRISTI on it...although the hat is a Cuenca Hat. Retail value? $16.00 or so. Wholesale value? Maybe $4.00 on the street. shipping is FREE We prefer Paypal. Please look at our other auctions REAL*PANAMAHATS

This looks pretty honest and accurate to me..but I noticed the word "revised".

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Andykev
Thats Panamabob ad not another seller.I think he was trying to say he couldn't believe any one would even bid on the hat with his wording in the ad. I hope this helps

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
You all know how I feel about these blokes who buy a $150 hat and sell it for $850.00 and give the weavers a pair of $15.00 eyeglasses every few years...or the guys who talk about how backbreaking the work is and then supply the weavers with new blocks to weave on...what a thoughtful gesture.

I am the seller of the hat that I bought from a lying, conniving woman on ebay and I am very honest about it. I wanted the people to see that some of the ebay hats are Cuenca imposters and for some reason they are still blocking.

If they want to buy the garbage to get free shipping I'll keep selling the garbage.

Robert

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My mistake

Robert you have changed (again) your Ebay ID. From the tone of the message and the different ID ...I was confused. There have been prior posts discussing the "other sellers" who have been misleading...

Seeing now how you wrote the item description, all sellers should be as detailed. Still, I feel that "word of mouth" will ferret out the swindlers.

STHill

One of the Regulars
My (unsolicited) advice, Robert: You're tilting at windmills fighting these hucksters. The potential victims of these overpriced, misrepresented products are not going to pay any attention to you. A smart buyer will do his homework (both regarding ebay and panama hats). The not-so-smart buyers are going to get victimized until they learn by experience.

If buyers don't get the quality of product they expect from these vendors, unfavorable feedback will begin to add up. If they're leaving favorable feedback, then they are happy with their purchase. And if the buyer is happy, then what can you say?

The best way you can fight this is to keep selling your fine product at reasonable prices, and treating the weavers, finishers, etc. with kindness and respect. Ignore the crooks (unless, of course, they are directly misrepresenting you or your product). They'll come and go, but they are not worth your trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran