Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eccentric Pilot's Brush With Death In Shark-Infested Sea

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/e...h-death-in-shark-infested-sea-86908-20324379/

Posted here since the tale involves a WWII plane. Why do I think this tale really started out with "there I was, trying to find the cap to this bottle of rum..."? [huh]

AN eccentric pilot has survived after crash-landing his vintage plane in shark-infested seas.

Maurice Kirk, 62, ditched in the Caribbean during his attempt to fly round the world in the World War II spotter aircraft.

Kirk, a vet who claims Scots ancestry, was rescued after coastguards picked up a signal from his emergency beacon.

He was discovered sitting on the wreckage of the plane 80 miles off the Dominican Republic with blood pouring from a head wound.

The tiny Piper Cub aircraft, called Liberty Girl, was used by US General George Patton in the war.

Kirk, an old drinking buddy of the late actor and hell-raiser Oliver Reed, was taken to hospital on the remote island of Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos.

But he discharged himself after being treated for head and neck injuries.

When told that Kirk, who now lives in Barry, South Wales, had signed himself out of hospital, his wife Kirstie, 48, said: "Heusually does."

She added: "He has phoned me briefly to say he's OK but a bit battered.

"But, typical of Maurice, he's more concerned about his beloved plane than he is for his own health.

"He has borrowed clothes but has no money and everything was inside the plane, which we were told would have sunk within 36 hours of landing on water.

"That plane was his baby for more than 25 years and he is very upset to have lost it."

It's the latest setback for Kirk, who set out on his round-the-world mission seven years ago.

The epic trip began when he decided to take part in the London - Sydney Air Race in 2001 and then simply kept on going.

In 2005, he was injured after his plane smashed into a lorry in Japan as he tried to crash-land on a motorway being built north of Tokyo.

He was delayed in Japan waiting for permission to fly over Russian airspace.

And just 10 days ago, he was mugged in Cuba and lost his passport.

Maurice's website charts the success of his trip and carries details of the incidents, along with pictures of him with crutches and a neck collar, and images of the stricken plane smashed into the side of a lorry.

He flew out to the States from Wales on January 22 after the plane was restored following his crash in Japan.

He was flying around the Caribbean for six weeks and had sprayed his plane with anti-shark paint in case he was forced to ditch it in the water.

The father of four was flying from the Dominican Republic to Turks and Caicos on Saturday when the engine on his two-seater aircraft packed up.

He performed a controlled landing into the sea and his emergency beacon was picked up by coastguards in Miami and New Zealand.

Kirstie, also a vet, said: "I was warned that the outcome of these things was usually not very good but I told them my husband was indestructible.

"He's crashed before and had all sorts of bother. But he always seems to survive. Sure enough, I soon had a phone call saying he was all right.

"I am expecting him home some time next week. I am sure this will not stop him from flying. But we will have to wait to see if he attempts to complete this round the - world trip."

Yesterday, Kirstie was calling flying clubs and contacts in the US, hoping someone could help Maurice retrieve his belongings from the stricken plane.

She added: "His computer and all his belongings are on it. I am trying to get people to help but communications in that part of the world are difficult.

"He has no money. I guess he'll go to the nearest British Embassy for help."

A spokesman for the US Coastguard said Kirk was picked up by helicopter near dusk.

Coastguard petty officer Nick Ameen in Miami said: "The emergency beacon may well have saved his life. That was a really good decision on his part."

Story

I'll Lock Up
Backstory

Growing Older But Not Up

Location: cruising on my landing gear taxiing"'round this old town" 'Liberty Girl' To Be Restored In Maine
High-Flying Cub Returns Stateside

A 1943 Piper Cub reportedly flown by General George Patton will soon be restored to her former glory at its new,
temporary home in Hampden, ME.
Making her entrance on a New Jersey rental truck, the Liberty Girl arrived in Hampden on Tuesday. So begins
what is expected to be a yearlong restoration of the historic aircraft, believed to have been flown by the infamous
WWII general.
The current owner of the Liberty Girl, retired British veterinarian Maurice Kirk, told the Bangor Daily News
that French authorities claim Patton flew the aircraft over France after D-Day in 1944.
"General Patton used it to look around the battlefield," added Jeff Russell, owner of the Center for Classic Aircraft
Skills in Hampden. "He had a tendency to hop into the smaller airplanes to quickly cover short distances."
Kirk flew the plane around three-quarters of the world in 2005, in an attempt to circumnavigate the globe. Alas,
that trip ended when the aircraft crashed in Kanazawa, Japan in October 2005, as reported by ANN.
Aero-News Network Propwash - Issue 89/03 05.03.07 Page 6 of 19
Kirk said Japanese authorities impounded the aircraft after the wreck. He worked tirelessly with Russell to retrieve
his plane from Japan. They shared dreams of not only restoring the authentic aircraft, but of flying it again.
The Japanese government released the aircraft in December 2006. It was then shipped, disassembled, from
Yokohama, Japan, to Elizabeth, NJ where the trip to Hampden began.
"Everyone said there is no way we're going to get it back (from the Japanese). Then they said we would never get
it to the US, and now they are saying we'll never get it restored and flying again," Russell said. "So far we're two
for three, and we're soon to be three for three."
The fuselage will be rebuilt in Milo, ME while the wings will be the focus in Hampden. The total restoration is
expected to cost around $25,000. Russell said people already have offered to donate time and money.
"I have an open workshop policy," Russell said. "If a veteran wants to see the wings that flew over him or her
during the invasion of Europe or the invasion of Germany, I'll have those wings and they can watch the
restoration. Those wings meant freedom to so many people."
Kirk and Russell plan to stay true to the Liberty Girl's original configuration. The single-engine plane will have five
instruments and use a stick, rudder and throttle for operation, Russell said.
After the restoration is complete, Kirk said he intends to fly to Argentina and, eventually, to the North Pole.
"That airplane will be flying 100 years from now," said Russell.
FMI: http://www.kirkflyingvet.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic