Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edge Binding Preparation

hutch

Familiar Face
When having an edge binding applied to a hat with an underwelt or overwelt does the underwelt/overwelt have to be trimmed off before the binding is applied? I've searched the edge binding threads and I haven't seen anybody mention this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hutch

PS...I'm new to the site and just started collecting. There is a wealth of information here and I would like to thank everyone for educating me.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I think it would be necessary to trim off the binding otherwise the binding will give a big lip around the brim under the binding, unless you'd like to have that look.

carldelo

One Too Many
I can't remember seeing a hat where a brim binding was applied over a welted edge. The Stetson Windham has a variation - the brim is bound with a ribbon, then that is folded over so the ribbon winds up inside the welting. You can see it here:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=258&subcname=Stetson

It seems like the shape of a welted edge would prevent the brim binding ribbon from sitting flat, but it might work if it was done carefully by hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart