Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edumication

What is your Level of Education ?

• Still in School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School/GED Diploma

• Some College

• Associates

• Bachelors

• Masters

• Call me "DR."

• Went to School of HARD KNOCKS, well rounded Education

• Total voters
The beauty of the American University system is that at undergraduate level it gives you a few years to find your feet, with all the generalist courses and add-ons to the core degree requirements. It makes it much easier to segue into the thing you find you are best at, if you didn't go to the college for that degree. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but now I really envy that of the undergrads I was teaching in Indiana. I do not envy them their tuition fees. Ouch.

In Scotland, where I did my undergraduate degree, that is very difficult. Once you've decided to join a degree program it is extremely difficult to switch. Same deal in England & Wales and most of the rest of Europe, I believe.[huh]

bk

AtomicEraTom said:
You guys all are making me think about going back to school. I just don't know what I want to do with my life. The factory's all I know.

MissHannah

One Too Many
BA in Fine Art Photography. Totally the wrong degree - I should have done a technical photography course and then I might actually have been good enough to make a living out of it!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Lucky you, I'm constantly out of my depth. :(

Hi, a lot of PhD's aren't going to like what I think about that. If you are severely edumicated, you should be able to pass on your edumication to those of lessor IQ, say down to the 80-90 IQ range. If you can't help those of us whose brains are already full, what good is it to have all that edumication???

It ain't knowledge unless you can pass it on.

I took NO philosophy courses at Illinois, nope not one.

Later

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
BA in Fine Art Photography. Totally the wrong degree - I should have done a technical photography course and then I might actually have been good enough to make a living out of it!

I also did the totally wrong degree - BA in Drama...what was I thinking? Since I've left University and worked my arse off for pennys, I've learnt that when your 17, you can't make long term decisions about your future. I wish I'd had more guidance back then. Perhaps I now wouldn't be too poor to pay off a ridiculously enormous student loan, and I might have a 'career' instead of a job.

I don't know anyone in acadaemia who does not concur. I don't get the point; the dual role of educator and searcher/advancer of knowledge is well acknowledged. [huh]

1961MJS said:
Hi, a lot of PhD's aren't going to like what I think about that. If you are severely edumicated, you should be able to pass on your edumication to those of lessor IQ, say down to the 80-90 IQ range. If you can't help those of us whose brains are already full, what good is it to have all that edumication???

It ain't knowledge unless you can pass it on.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
To quote Rowan Atkinson, "I, on the other hand, have a degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks, and three gold stars from the Kindergarten of Getting the s**t Kicked Out of Me."
At least you didn't do what I did. I have a PhD from BYU* - the most worthless degree on earth.

*Beating Yourself Up

Dan'l

Practically Family
I've a BA in secondary education. Starting to suffer from burn out after nine years but not sure what to do until retirement. I hope to depart from teaching for a better paying, more satisfying job. My dream job would be to dress up in "old timey clothes" and portray others that have been dead bwtween 50 and 250 years ;) . However, those jobs are hard to find and pay less than teaching.
I've said for a couple of years now that, "Work gets in the way of me getting things done."

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
BA in Art History&English and an MA in Art History...did my dissertation on Robin Hood! I finished up three years ago and have been working in retail ever since because Ireland doesn't afford opportunities for students wanting to study British Art. I would love to go back and do my PHD and become a lecturer, and even planned to do my research on 19th Century Representation of Ireland by British and Irish Artists. It's a pretty basic comparative until you start to consider the number of Irish artists from Anglo-Irish backgrounds, and also the majority of Irish artists would have studied art at the Royal Academy of London...then everything goes into the social and cultural conditioning of artists *happy days* lol

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Graduated highschool with honors on Language Arts and the second highest grades in Social Studies (would have had honors had I pushed myself) and lousy grades in math and science. I have always found it difficult to tackle those two...

Took a year off after graduating before going to post secondary, took Aircraft Structures Technician, learned how to patch up airplanes. Graduated from that with zero desire to go into the field, though jobs were easily had. Less than a year later and the boom in that was gone any many of my fellow classmates were looking for other work so I guess I dodged the bullet on that one??

Currently apprenticing as a Parts Technician (partsman) at a large (read: huge) natural gas service company. I've been collecting hours for near 3 years waiting for my turn to go to school, by the time I make it I should have enough to do my 3 'years' back-to-back.

Then, when I have a 'real' job to fall back on, I might get up the nerve to go back to school and take what I really want :)

Beaubeau

New in Town
Went to high school. Graduated towards the middle because not only it was a good school (Valedictorian had a GPA of 6.0 weighted and two college degrees by dual enrollment), but also due to my view of K-12 education. To Put it simply: "I know that you know that I know something, and I do know something. Your job is to now guess what I want you to think I know. If you're lucky, you might get what I actually do know. :p ". I'm not nor ever have been some sort of genius, just an asshole bored kid that liked to play mental games with my too friendly instructors.

Got an AA in General Studies with two certificates in Graphic Design from the local community while bagging groceries because my parents health were already starting to fade (And we were always poor, so this just made us poorer due to how many kids my parents had born with Infantile TSD, which is always fatal) and just for the sake of having the degree so I could have a piece of paper with my name on it, that would knock out prereqs for anything else I decided to do in the future, because I'm too practical for my own good.

Now back in school for two other AAs in Science. With any luck, I'll get a PHD.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
BA (check)
MA (check)
wanted PhD, then realized that I want a few little roly-polies someday and if i pursued the PhD, I'd give my life to work without even realizing it.

sometimes you have to choose.

Mav

A-List Customer
AtomicEraTom said:
You guys all are making me think about going back to school. I just don't know what I want to do with my life. The factory's all I know.
Don't feel bad- I've got an Admin. of Justice AA, and an Econ BS, I'm 51, and I'm still thinking I'd like to be either a cowboy, a starship commander, or run a bait, gun, and liquor store. Or a mercenary. Or a hermit.
You'll figure it out. Or not. The fun is in doing what you do to the best of your abilities, and having a hell of a good time while you're doing it.

OTOH, if you do finish school, that allows you, no matter what you're doing for a living, to look around every once in awhile and say, "damn...I should be doing something better than this."

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Education is a good thing. Attending an American college these days is not necessarily a very efficient or even efficacious way to obtain an education.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was kicked out of regular high school for not going to the Physical Education classes, and they sent me to the high school for discipline problems, dopers, pregnant girls, etc., where there was no P.E. classes (I win!). At that school, all I had to do to earn an entire credit was to write a book report. So I left high school a year early, attended junior college for a year and dropped out and never went back.

I always wondered why I had such a hard time in school - the homework, the fitting in socially, the paying attention to boring subjects - I just couldn't do it and tortured myself for years about it, feeling inadequate, knowing I am highly intelligent (genius on the IQ scale, but what does that get me). It wasn't until my late 40s that I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder.

If I had been diagnosed and medicated as a child, I think my life would have been very different. As it is, I have a lot of catching up to do. I don't plan to go back to school though, there really is no reason for me to do so as being a jazz musician doesn't require a degree.

So, if this sounds familiar to you... I suggest researching ADD. It has changed my life to know I am not just "lazy, crazy or bad", but actually have a physical condition.

HepKitty

One Too Many
dr greg said:
My old man used to say: you learn something new every day, unless you're an idiot.

I'll agree with this. not all lessons are taught in school

AA from CBC pasco WA, bachelors from ISU (German, international studies, and French), and A+ pc repair certification. which is why I'm an application analyst at a hospital... [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy