Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edumication

What is your Level of Education ?

• Still in School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School/GED Diploma

• Some College

• Associates

• Bachelors

• Masters

• Call me "DR."

• Went to School of HARD KNOCKS, well rounded Education

• Total voters

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
And in the general population -

354px-Educational_attainment_copy.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I clicked “masters” even though J.D. stands for “juris doctor”. To me a J.D. is better equated to a master’s degree, as the level of attainability is similar, and the time in school roughly equivalent. That and we’re ethically not supposed to call ourselves “doctor”.

Further, there’s an academic doctorate of law equivalent to a Ph.D., though I’ve never seen one in real life.

Interestingly, for all the hoopla about getting more affordable legal representation, the United States did away with the bachelor of law degree years ago, which has done nothing but force the cost of legal representation up, as we’ve all got pricey, non-dischargeable debt to pay off.

Now I’m going off on my “educational inflation” rant, though, and I’ll stop short of telling you just what a racket I think education has become since WWII.

-Dave

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) but Canadian law schools are changing, to my horror, to JD. Apparently it appears more 'graduate' and 'international'.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
B.A. in Cinema (Film Production) and International Relations (Intelligence and Security).

Going back to Grad School this fall to get my M.A. in International Relations.

Mav

A-List Customer
Bachelor's in Econ.
Did a year of grad school, decided I didn't want to go through the required lobotomy for a MBA, and quit. I've been thinking about working on either a Master's in theology or going to seminary one of these days, if I ever get around to it and have the time/ money.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Associates in Information Technology
Bachelor of Science Information Systems Management

Certifications obtained after my degrees: A+, Network+, Microsoft Certified Professional, Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (the first three certifications are required on your way to a MCSA.)

25 years in Air Force IT starting with mainframe computers. And with all of that the only IT work I can get around here is as a field tech.

Started on a Masters Information Technology four weeks ago.

Not sure why I'm bothering with it as where I currently live, the higher your education the harder it is to find work. But between the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the VA's Yellow Ribbon program it's being paid for so I'd be a fool to pass up the opportunity. Of course, there goes most of my spare time for the next two years! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
Am I just graphically challenged, or does that graph NOT ADD UP?
Are you supposed to read it from top to bottom?
It's not supposed to add up, as people from the top down are (generally) included in all categories. Thus, someone with a Master's degree will also be included in the Bachelor's degree percentages, as well as the High School diploma percentages.

I'm assuming these are percentages for the U.S.

Brad

davestlouis

Practically Family
Good Jesuit education, wound up with a BS in Business Administration with an Economics major...chose economics because so few people chose that major, I thought it would make me stand out...there were 6 of us with that major at St. Louis University that year. It made me stand out alright, had a hell of a time getting my first job, while the accounting majors were all getting solid offers...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I agree that the graph is poorly designed. Just read it section by section rather than cumulatively. In other words,

84.6% graduated High School only
8.9% have Master's (and HS and a Bachelor's)
3% have Doctorates or similar (and HS and a Master's)

And so on ...

And yes, it should be for the US. ;)

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
J.D.

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge, President of the United States 1924-1929

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
GallatinHatMan said:
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge, President of the United States 1924-1929

I agree for the most part but also think it's overstated. "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" is a fallacy. Don't you agree?

Doggy Darb

New in Town
I agree that persistence and determination are the driving factors (by nature of their definitions) in all endeavors. Education can only be attained through the above, and it will only assist one in achieving more easily. It is the sharing of the discoveries and achievements of those that are persistent and determined that give us all our educations.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I have a BA in chemistry, a D.D.S. and a specialty in prosthodontics.

To me, there are three keys to success. Persistence or perseverance is one and determination or desire is the second. We already stated that. The third factor is time. If you give yourself enough time to accomplish what you set out to do and you don't try to rush it, your success will be much easier to find and you'll be great at what you do. Different people require different amounts of time but the ones who require less time are said to have talent. IMHO, talent is nothing more than a very strong desire, very strong determination and the time you're willing to expend to become expert at what you do. A good attitude with a strong desire to be the best doesn't hurt either. With all of these together, anyone can be great at anything regardless of how much talent they think you have.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
Good Jesuit education, wound up with a BS in Business Administration with an Economics major... had a hell of a time getting my first job, while the accounting majors were all getting solid offers...

diu vixi pane duro...
Poet-philosopher who ditched macro and Jebbies. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko