Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elbow Patches

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Not sure if I'm in the correct forum, but here goes...

I have a few modern sport coats made of wool. Not suit coats, but they look fine if I wear a tie with them. Anyway, I've had them about 5 years now, and a couple of them have worn holes in the elbow area. I have purchased some suede lambskin patches for them, but I'm not sure of exactly where they should be sewn. I'm thinking they should be centered horizontally on the sleeve's vertical seam. But where should the be placed vertically? Centered between the cuff and shoulder seam? Or centered on the point of my elbow when I'm wearing the jacket? Or maybe centered on the hole that has developed? I've looked at a few pics of tweed jackets that had them, and they look to be centered vertically between the shoulder seam and cuff, but pics can be deceiving.

Qirrel

Practically Family
The centre of the patch should be where your elbow is. While wearing the jacket, bend your arm so that you see the elbow, then make a mark at that point. Measure the length from top of hindarm seam to this point; place both patches the same length from the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo