Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elderly Reactions To Vintage

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I was once told by an elderly gent that I was the spitting image of his grandfather, who was an Edwardian gentleman. And an elderly lady on the bus once told my wife that she 'reminds me of the old days'.

24hourteaparty

New in Town
I don't really dress all that vintage (yet) but it seems older people are attracted to me. Once when I was one the bus going to a party, and older man told me about how my boots reminding him of being in the army.

And when older people open doors for me they are always so surprised when I thank you, and will give me the best smile. (i'm 16, most people my age don't seem to understand to concept of polite.)

For a while I volunteered at a nursing home bringing people from their rooms to church. On Easter I wore a black veiled vintage hat I had. Everyone loved it. One man took my hand and said “sweetheart you remind me of when I was a boy, and every young lady wore an Easter hat.” I was so happy I almost cried. And all the ladies asked where I got it, and seemed shocked when I said I got from the thrift store for less than five dollars.

Once a lady at the nursing home asked if I had gained weight, because “you just look so delightfully plump today.” (i'm a size 18) she is one the reasons I don't hate my body anymore

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
I don't really dress all that vintage (yet) but it seems older people are attracted to me. Once when I was one the bus going to a party, and older man told me about how my boots reminding him of being in the army.

And when older people open doors for me they are always so surprised when I thank you, and will give me the best smile. (i'm 16, most people my age don't seem to understand to concept of polite.)

For a while I volunteered at a nursing home bringing people from their rooms to church. On Easter I wore a black veiled vintage hat I had. Everyone loved it. One man took my hand and said “sweetheart you remind me of when I was a boy, and every young lady wore an Easter hat.” I was so happy I almost cried. And all the ladies asked where I got it, and seemed shocked when I said I got from the thrift store for less than five dollars.

Once a lady at the nursing home asked if I had gained weight, because “you just look so delightfully plump today.” (i'm a size 18) she is one the reasons I don't hate my body anymore

I do not dress vintage yet, either. I'm 17, but like you, older people seem to be 'attracted' to me. I think it's the general politeness, smiles, and being able to speak to them without shrugging or looking uncomfortable.

I love hearing their stories and constantly badger both of my grandparents about the 'old days.' My grandma loves my bedroom, which looks like something out of the thirties, and they both appreciate my clean-cut style.

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many
lol I got petticoat-checked by a WASP

A couple weeks ago I was at an aviation convention in Reno, and for cocktail party Saturday night I wore the rockabilly snow leopard dress and spats. There were some WASPs there, and I was lucky enough to meet 7 of them. Anyway, one that I had met already (Jean McCreery) was next to another (both in wheelchairs), and when I introduced myself to Alyce, she was thrilled and said "we used to dress like that!" (except the spats I'm sure lol) and she reached out and lifted my skirt high enough to make sure I had a petticoat on, which I did. a nice fluffy black one :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
It is amazing how politeness really goes a long way, too bad for so many today, politeness is vintage they don't understand.

Manners should be timeless. Should be. And age shouldn't matter either. If you can talk, you can have manners. Which is why "please" and "thank you" were some of the first words my kids learned. My sister did the same with her kids

~Kate~

New in Town
I was talking to my Grandmother (she's almost 87) the other day about some of my vintage clothing. I tried on this stunning 1940's evening dress I bought and asked her what she thought. She responded with "It's very lovely but you know you have gone completely bonkers right?" She can't quite grasp the concept of actually choosing to wear vintage clothing lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I was talking to my Grandmother (she's almost 87) the other day about some of my vintage clothing. I tried on this stunning 1940's evening dress I bought and asked her what she thought. She responded with "It's very lovely but you know you have gone completely bonkers right?" She can't quite grasp the concept of actually choosing to wear vintage clothing lol

lol
My grandmother is 81 and she's the same way. She'll answer questions about "the old days", but you can tell she's not really interested in "going back." But I guess we'll be the same when we're 85 and kids want to wear clothing from the 80s and 90s lol I actually have some saved especially for when that happens. Seriously.

wahine

Practically Family
lol... I actually have some saved especially for when that happens. Seriously.
Wow, you're so wise, Amy Jeanne. You'll make some of your kids or grandchildren really happy with that stuff one day. I wish I had the space to store stuff, too. But my place is so small that I have to get rid of something when I get something new. Which gives me hope to go all vintage one day ;)

Marla

A-List Customer
One of my grandmas has given me all the vintage clothing and accessories she had. She loves telling me about the history of the items and is very pleased that I want to have them. But... she also tells me that if I keep wearing vintage no one is going to want to be friends with me lol. Her prophecy hasn't happened yet, meanwhile my collection is growing bigger and bigger...

wahine

Practically Family
One of my grandmas has given me all the vintage clothing and accessories she had. ...my collection is growing bigger and bigger...
So is your grandma a "keeper" then? Mine is a "discarder". She's 93, so just imagine what she could have given me if she wouldn't always have kept up with the times *sigh*
She's wonderful though and I'm happy that she gave me the few 60s and 70s wardrobe she had kept.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So is your grandma a "keeper" then? Mine is a "discarder". She's 93, so just imagine what she could have given me if she wouldn't always have kept up with the times *sigh*
She's wonderful though and I'm happy that she gave me the few 60s and 70s wardrobe she had kept.

My grandmother was the same way. I honestly think it is because she didn't have much, but she was also very keen on being stylish and up-to-date even though she didn't have much (to the year she died- she owned several Calvin Klein things when she died in 1994. She also had 3 earrings in one ear and two in the other, which was very much in style then). If she was alive today, and vintage became hot, she'd be fighting people (including me) at Goodwill for clothing. She might also have a tattoo.

My mother (now in her 60s) kept all of her clothes unless they were damaged beyond repair, but she only had a few things in the 1970s, as she wore uniforms to work. My mom is a saver, mainly because I think her mother threw things away on her.

Marla

A-List Customer

The grandma in question used to be a "keeper" but lately she's been wanting to purge all her saved possessions. Thankfully my grandfather is on my side and doesn't let her get rid of anything old before checking with me first! She never saved everyday clothes, but did save family heirlooms such as beautiful scarves, hand-embroidered garments, jewelry, and a few other things. I feel reverent about the items she has given me, but I don't wear them. I'd like to, but those things are very "traditional" and don't blend into a 1930s-1940s look well. (Maybe if I dressed in Edwardian fashion...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo