Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elderly Reactions To Vintage

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I get the best comments from the little old ladies in church. The day I was all dressed up for the Denver members lunch one of the gals actually came up to my husband and said: "Your wife is adorable!" :eek:
I get lots of questions and compliments about my clothes. Especially about where one can find seamed stockings and crinolines, and where I find my hats. I always think it's kind of fun, and thankfully, my church doesn't seem to mind me as the token oddball. lol

Trickeration

Practically Family
I'm approached pretty regularly, and often told I remind someone of their sister or a neighbor they had whne they were young. Sometimes I get, "I had a dress just like that, but with beads" or something along those lines.

However my most interesting experience was just this past summer. I was at a Coast Guard ceremony with my husband and some of the guys from his unit. During the reception an elderly man asked if he could sit down next to me. As he sat down, he said that as soon as he saw me, he knew he just had to come talk to me. I reminded him of a girl he'd met while in Italy during WWII. He talked about her, and how she wore her hair like mine, that it was the same color. Then he talked about Italy. First about some of his war experiences, then about other things there, speaking to me almost as if I were her. He seemed to go back in time for a little while. I went along with the conversation pretty easily, having lived in Italy for a couple of years myself, and let him enjoy reliving his memories. At one point, I realized that the guys from my husband's unit had all stopped eating to watch the interaction between me and the gentleman. My husband sat and ate quietly, his being more used to our clothing sparking such memories in people. Eventually the man came back around to 2007 and got up to go back and join his auxilliary unit. He kissed my hand and told me how much he'd enjoyed the visit. Now Rob's unit is sitting there speechless.

After the man was gone, I answered questions. Yes this happens a lot, no the man isn't losing his marbles, and so on. Just as the meal resumed Rob's friend John came at sat down with a funny look on his face. He had just run into my gentleman, who had pointed me out and told him about meeting me and his girl in Italy. I guess he wasn't totally back in 2007 yet. :) John was just amazed at the reaction my appearance had caused.

How the man responded when he saw me was a great compliment to my getting the look right, but I was especially glad that I could spark such fond memories and share them with him for a few minutes.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We have a lot to learn from our elders, and I find interacting with them, so interesting and...poignant. The older I get, the more I regret not listening to my grandparents more. I found old newspaper clippings where my grandmother returning from a trip was like some major happening in the midwestern town she was born & raised in. Go visit your relatives for a few weeks, and your return gets front-page coverage in the paper - pretty snappy!

I have an elderly...well, let's us the term older because she'd smack me upside the head for calling her elderly...client who always reacts positively to me because "you're always dressed up when you see me." I've commented it's nothing but she always says "No, you do this because it's a sign of respect and your being brought up right. Everyone else dresses like a slob - but you - always appropriately, nicely dressed!" She's often commented her son (only a few years older than me) will show up in t-shirt & jeans & sandals for almost any "special" ocassion and it drives her nuts.

She's one who mothers me, to some degree, since Mom died 3 years ago, and was at an event I was speaking at year before last. She catches me at the location an hour or so before I'm to speak and she launches in with shaking her head and "Oh, Michael, Michael, Michael...you look great for the most part...but that tie...I think I see where you were going, but it's just wrong. You aimed for the gold in the jacket but you should've gone with purple or maroon. Your choice - it just doesn't pop. What time is your presentation? I can run up to Nordstrom and get you the right tie for that outfit. Your mother would have completely agreed. You don't mind my interfering?" And truly I don't - I'm touched. I appreciate the critique. I appreciate the inputs.

Just this plain-spoken, unassuming woman who, by chance, is worth a mint and by chance of biology is tied to one of the major events in 20th century history and you'd never guess any of it looking at her. But she's just fascinating to listen to. "So the governor's calling me begging and then a call from the White House, like I'd ever speak to someone from THAT party..." Her kids have slough it off as no big deal. Even I tell her son & daughter, "You should be listening to all this. You treat it as no big deal, but this is huge...HUGE! When she's gone, this is all going to come back to haunt you. Trust me!"

And I know there are loads of other people other there like that who have fascinating stories to tell and really, nobody's listening or nobody knows, or more crushingly, nobody cares. It's just Granny's or Grandpa's crazy stories and writtten off as something like that. It's like Six Degrees of Separation - you just scratch the surface here or there and it's amazing what you can find.

But in our rapid-fire, sped-up world, these interesting stories and connections are just overlooked or worse, ignored, and lost in the shuffle. My grandfather told us about hopping on a horse when he was an early teen and taking a day or two ride on his horse to Coffeyville, KS, to see the bodies of the Dalton Gang...and then decades later, I go to high school with the great-great-great grandson of one of the Daltons. "Hey, my grandfather rode for over a day or to see the corpse of one of your great-great-great uncles..."

zaika

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
My grandfather told us about hopping on a horse when he was an early teen and taking a day or two ride on his horse to Coffeyville, KS, to see the bodies of the Dalton Gang...and then decades later, I go to high school with the great-great-great grandson of one of the Daltons. "Hey, my grandfather rode for over a day or to see the corpse of one of your great-great-great uncles..."

lol that's great!!

i know what you mean about folks writing off grandpa and grandma's stories. i've noticed in the last few years that whenever either one of my grandmothers starts to tell a story, everyone's eyes glaze over or they tell them that they've heard it a million times. it breaks my heart. so i butt in and say "well i haven't heard it..." even if i have.

this past veteran's day, i (who can be incredibly shy around strangers) made myself stop by the VFW table at the grocery store to chat up the veterans there (one was a WWII veteran, and the other was a Korean War veteran). they seemed kind of taken aback but then warmed up after a bit, and as i stood in the check out line later on i saw why. i noticed that no one actually stopped to talk to the men. they either ignored them completely, or threw money at them.

i'm glad that there are people like us at the FL who take the time when possible to listen and learn from our elders. it's always been my hope that by emulating the fashion, i can fall into conversations like some of you ladies have.

Mojito

One Too Many
Trickeration, that's a lovely story - somehow quite hauntingly whimsical. And what a great compliment to your beauty!

Mike, I couldn't agree more about speaking to older generations. I do a good deal of it formally for my research, and it gets to be a habit drawing out stories from everyone of a certain age and trying to persuade them to record their experiences. The woman I wrote about above worked in military intelligence in Papua New Guinea during WWII, and had a brilliant career in newspapers. She's as fascinating on the subject of nickers and stockings as she is on the actions of the war!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
We get alot of 'you remind me of my mother/aunt/grandmother' type comments.

The other week we were in Brighton in our 30s gear and overtook an elderly lady with a walking stick. As I turned around to check the boys were keeping up with me she said 'Gosh! You all look great - I thought I'd gone back in time to when I was a little girl!' She was sweet and said how smart we all looked and that she really liked the hats the chaps were wearing.

We had other people stop and say how they liked it too. Generally, a very good reaction, which is not always the way with British people!

I had my cherry popped in Asda...

lol

I was browsing the fresh free range chicken shelf in Asda this afternoon, after a particularly hard days shopping in Merry Hill & a gentleman came up to me, not old, but not young, and he said to me 'me and my friend have seen you walking through the centre a few times today and I wanted to tell you we think you look absolutely beautiful'. He said it was lovely to see someone so well dressed. I proceeded to giggle like a child and turn the colour of my lipstick.

I've never ever had that happen before. It made me feel nice, which is never a bad thing :D

epr25

Practically Family
I have also had this happen. I think everyone is so cookie cutter that people really pay attention when someone different is in front of them.

My friend is a dog groomer and she has a client that was a costumer in Chicago in the 40's. I have not met her yet but we are going to visit her. My friend said she has a huge collection clothing she had compiled during her costuming years. I am very anxious to meet her. I can't imagine a more interesting lady.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
lol

I was browsing the fresh free range chicken shelf in Asda this afternoon, after a particularly hard days shopping in Merry Hill & a gentleman came up to me, not old, but not young, and he said to me 'me and my friend have seen you walking through the centre a few times today and I wanted to tell you we think you look absolutely beautiful'. He said it was lovely to see someone so well dressed. I proceeded to giggle like a child and turn the colour of my lipstick.

I've never ever had that happen before. It made me feel nice, which is never a bad thing :D
You gave me a bit of a jump then ^-^ It's not often I see people talking about Merry Hill online, I always think it's weird when I come across someone who lives locally to me xxxx x

MissHannah

One Too Many
I guess, judging from the posts from other british members, that the british are less inclined to be so forthcoming with their comments! I get a lot of lingering (and sometimes confused!) looks from the older generation but rarely get any actual conversation. A bloke in his 50's did walk past me at the cashpoint one day in my green suit and seamed stockings and tossed a "Fabulous outfit" over his shoulder as he was rushing past.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
My grandma loves it! Ever since I have started modeling, she has been sending me her old gloves and coin purses to wear and carry. She gets such a kick out of seeing me in her clothes! Last time I visited her, she gave me a pair of fishnet gloves. She told me that she always wore those when a gentlman with sweaty hands wanted to dance with her...and that the really tacky girls used to wear their engagement rings over the gloves. She's wonderful.

Once, when I was out getting a New Mexican lunch with my mother, I wore my favorite yellow 50's dress with a matching vintage Parisian hat. An elderly woman at a nearby table kept glancing over at me. She wasn't smiling or anything, so I started feeling a little uneasy. After she stood up to leave, she approached my table to tell me that it had been decades since she had seen someone so well put-together. I wish I had invited her to come eat with us earlier...I bet she had a lot to say.

Folly

One of the Regulars
I often find elderly gentlemen drawn to me if I'm wearing seams - I swear it's because they feel more confident to remark with age!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
I guess, judging from the posts from other british members, that the british are less inclined to be so forthcoming with their comments! I get a lot of lingering (and sometimes confused!) looks from the older generation but rarely get any actual conversation. A bloke in his 50's did walk past me at the cashpoint one day in my green suit and seamed stockings and tossed a "Fabulous outfit" over his shoulder as he was rushing past.

Maybe the British are too shy or not too impressed? As my Grandmother says; A generation of tracksuits and trainers have damaged us beyond repair, so we can no longer understand what real style is... Of course, that is just one person's opinion - I can see what she means though :)

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Aurora said:
Maybe the British are too shy or not too impressed? As my Grandmother says; A generation of tracksuits and trainers have damaged us beyond repair, so we can no longer understand what real style is... Of course, that is just one person's opinion - I can see what she means though :)
They never seem too shy about negative comments, that's for sure! I don't know, I think a lot of people feel uneasy giving compliments, but I definitely get more glances and nice words from boys now I dress this way xxx x

Michael10

New in Town
Reactions from others

It's nice to see someone wear a hat that knows how.

It's nice to see a hat without a commercial on it.

You look spiffy.

Hello, Dapper Dan.

Q:Do you dress like that all the time? A: Yes. Even on weekends.

Hello, Doctor.

Nice hat!

You always look so nice. And, you smell good, too.

rue

*bump*

Like most have said in this thread, I've noticed that the elderly look a bit confused when they see me and although I always have vintage hair and make-up done, I'm usually just dressed with just a lean towards vintage. One time a man that had to be in his 80s kept staring at me as I was going into the grocery store and my husband had to stop him because he almost walked into a wall. Then yesterday an elderly couple were in the same store and the husband just stared at me like he had seen a ghost, while his wife was trying to get his attention. I smiled at him, but he just stared. It's a little bit unnerving and I wish they would say something. The only elderly person that ever actually talked to me was a woman at the New Years party we went to this last year. She was sitting off to the side ignoring most of what was going on and had a sour look on her face, but when I walked by she touched my arm and said that I looked like I had walked out of the past and that I reminded her of an actress from when she was a child. She couldn't remember the name of the actress, but she must have enjoyed the memory, because she actually smiled.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
This is a very interesting thread. That is a nice thing to see - your bringing up a good memory for someone. I haven't had any remarks from the elderly when I attempt to style vintage, but as I'm reading this forum and learning more about it, I keep remembering my grandmothers' remarks in passing when I was a teen about how 'people wear their hair in a mess' and 'no one dresses neat anymore'. And how my grandfather always wore his fedora when he wore a suit or sport coat, which was always when he went 'to handle business' in town, at the bank, church, younameit. They must've been quite perplexed as to how fashion went from neat, polished, and glamorous to puffy, messy, and slouchy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo