Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric stretcher horror story: Hatters, I need your advice...

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
The fella who bought my Caxton Twenty wears about a 7 1/4 and the hat's a 7. I told him I could use my electric stretcher and if I took it reeeeal slow I could likely take it up to his size.

Well, the hat stayed on the stretcher too long and the liner is now singed, sorta like leaving an iron on a shirt too long. I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself and have apologized profusely to the buyer.

Here's the pix. Stretcher:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762390120136/photo/294928804236424322/1

Fried Caxton:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762390120136/photo/294928804236401426/2
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762390120136/photo/294928804236391518/0

I've only used the heated stretcher previously for short periods of time to notch up slightly-too-small hats to fit me. It obviously didn't come with an instruction book, and I have to admit I don't have a real clue how to properly use this vintage tool.

Can some of the hatters here, or other fellas with electric stretchers, tell me how I should be using this thing?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the perils Sn...I did this on an irreplacable WWII army cap a few years ago & ended up costing me big time, not only in money, but crow.
There are those that tout this tool as the next coming "most useful tool in the shop" but to me it's only good for heating leathers and then removing to do the stretching. I wish I had a solution for you but burnt is burnt, there is no bringing it back. Just chalk it up to "lesson learned"

Aaron Hats

Vendor
We turn down quite a few customers who want us to stretch their hats. I don't want to take responsibility for burning the liner or tearing the sweatband on their grandfathers hat. No amount of money will replace a hat with that emotional attachment. We have the same stretcher in the shop and use it mostly to "tweak" the fit of the hat. If a customer really presses me to stretch a hat for them it's no more than one size and at the customers risk.

As Art said, take it as a lesson learned and next time sell the hat "as is".

Aaron

North Valley

New in Town
???

Hello,
Yep, as Art said, "lesson learned".
As the years tick by, one learns (mostly by feel) haw hot is just hot enough or too hot. How long on the stretcher is just right or too long, etc.
It's all basicly trial and error at times. Best to take little bites.
Thankfully, the only hat I burned was leaving it under the flange bag and forgetting it all night. I cam in the shop the next day and it was like a BBQ going on!!! I ran out the door carrying a flange stand with a burning flamed flange and hat on fire. I hate that when that happens! LOL!
Take care
Rodney

jpdesign

Vendor
I did the flange bag about a year and a half ago. My garage was my shop at the time. I shot up in bed at two in the moring and new I had left it on. didn't get the flames going, but ruined a 7 1/2, no. 23, 4 3/8 inch brim flange. While a sentimental attachment to a hat is a horrible thing to ruin (I have always stated hat work is done at owners risk), an irreplaceble flange is heart breaking.

Jimmy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Looks like the only thing you can spread on it is...

062006-bullseye.jpg

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR