Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

elgin 1920's wristwatch 7 jewels

coble

A-List Customer
i wanted to share this, i'm hopefully going to win this watch tomorrow for 10 dollars on an auction site. Shipping is 3 dollars. Its an Elgin 1920's wristwatch with 7 jewels, mechanical. It also has no mechanical problems runs well.

!B+hj(3g!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiQEz7ZC9ZTMBM+7i2JcL!~~_3.JPG

!B+hjdFQBmk~$(KGrHqF,!lcEy+jC0tgqBM+7jCfG0g~~_3.JPG

hopefully i win it tomorrow. If i do i will be heading to the watch shop in town. They sell grandfather clocks, fix watches of all sorts, and sell pocket watches. Going to see if they have a leather band that is from the same time frame. But anyways i wanted to share this, because i've been looking for a 1920's era wristwatch for sometime.

coble

A-List Customer
i would love to see photos of your 1880's elgin pocket watch, i'd like to see the comparison, and to see the pocket watch itself.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I have a WWI era Elgin lug watch and the movement in your watch reminds me of it. They may have the same movement. Very nice watch! If it takes a 16mm band I may be able to help you, because I have a quite a collection of deadstock bands from the 30's-40's.

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
Very nice!

I'm a pocket watch guy, but if I found a nice old watch like that I might just get back into wearing a wrist watch!

I hope you're the winning bidder. I'd like to see some pictures of it after its been cleaned up. A watch like that deserves to be cared for and enjoyed!

coble

A-List Customer
dodd- i will let you know on the bands.

swamp fox-i'm the same way but i've also been wanting an old wrist watch as well, and finding this one was a treasure. Hopefully i win, i plan on getting it cleaned for sure.

---so far so good, still winning 22 hours left.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
nice watch - I collect Waltham watches, mostly pocket watches, but I do have a few WWII A-11 Walthams. Something so amazing to me about old watches.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
dodd- i will let you know on the bands.

swamp fox-i'm the same way but i've also been wanting an old wrist watch as well, and finding this one was a treasure. Hopefully i win, i plan on getting it cleaned for sure.

---so far so good, still winning 22 hours left.

Also a fan of old watches, but don't know too much about them. I have and enjoy a 1902 Waltham pocket watch and 1896 Waltham pocket watch, both with intricately engraved hunters cases. I've had them cleaned and they run beautifully, and I wear them as pendants. Many years ago, the San Francisco Academy of Sciences had an antique watch display, with every imaginable watch, crystal and all the inner workings on display. I know we're in a techno age now, but I do miss that display.

More importantly, I want to give you an eBay tip: be sure and watch your bid like a hawk in the last 60-seconds. Maybe open two windows on your computer - one to watch the status and one with another bid, so all you have to do is hit "Confirm Bid." Swoopers will easily take advantage of someone who is new to eBay and the last few seconds can really be when the action happens. Good luck on your bidding and I hope this watch will be yours. :)

coble

A-List Customer
going to wait the last 5 minutes with the page up at work. There is something special about old watches. Its got a special place, technology now adays are done by machines, the fact that hands made the old watches is beautiful. Watchmaking is a craft that can always be cherished.
I will let you guys know, but i'll be watching it very closely. Its great to hear the stories you guys have with old watches, keep them coming and again post up your photos of your watches, would love to see them.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Very nice! Everybody talks about Swiss watches all the time, but many people today do not seem to realize that at one time The United States manufactured some of the finest watches in the world.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Very true, Dodd. From about 1860-1960, the USA led the world in Watchmaking. It was the Second World War that killed off American watchmaking, bit by bit until by the late 60s, I don't think there were any US companies left.

But in the golden age of American watchmaking, Elgin was one of the companies that led the way, producing literally millions and millions of watches. This is the movement inside the watch above:

elginmovementclose1.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
at one time The United States manufactured some of the finest watches in the world.
Absolutely, but the very, very best watches came out of Switzerland. Who can forget the Graves-Packard pissing contest at Patek Phillippe, which ended with the Super Complication....

orig.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo