Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Moments

I had a stupily amusing experience this morning & it got me thinking about embarrassing moments in relation to various vintage clothing...things.

What do you do if you ‘loose’ a stocking??? This morning whilst I was walking down the road, my hold up started falling down! When I got to the bus stop (where someone was waiting) I tried to discreetly hitch up my skirt & adjust the offending item. How discreetly this can be done on a main road at a bus stop I’m not sure. lol

Has anyone else had embarrassing moments like this? What did you do?

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Dolly, I hear you.
At a WW2 railway event a few years back I too suffered a stocking malfunction. I wear one of the old corsets to keep mine up and the clip had 'pinged'
So I shuffled down to the end of the platform where there was some dense shrubbery and hitched my skirt up to retrieve said pinged suspender.
Job done I smooted down my skirt and started to walk back to the main platform, at which point the 'shrubbery' appeared to move and some lads dressed as commandos in full camouflage stepped out of the shrubs and cheered.

If there had been a rock present, I would gladly have crawled under it.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Dolly, I hear you.
At a WW2 railway event a few years back I too suffered a stocking malfunction. I wear one of the old corsets to keep mine up and the clip had 'pinged'
So I shuffled down to the end of the platform where there was some dense shrubbery and hitched my skirt up to retrieve said pinged suspender.
Job done I smooted down my skirt and started to walk back to the main platform, at which point the 'shrubbery' appeared to move and some lads dressed as commandos in full camouflage stepped out of the shrubs and cheered.

If there had been a rock present, I would gladly have crawled under it.

lol thats brilliant!

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Sounds like an intimate predicament!

I have a vintage joke & funny stories book which contains a story very similar to your own:

"As I stepped aboard a bus in New York City I felt the back garter supporting one of my stockings snap. I didn't worry because I had faith in the remaining one, but when I left the bus the front one gave too, and my stocking slithered to my ankle.
Nearby a very correct chauffeur stood by a custom-made town car, talking to a doorman. Without a word he opened the rear door of the car, bowed me in with a courtly gesture and he and his friend discreetly turned their backs. When I had repaired the damage he received my thanks graciously and ushered me out ceremoniously."

At least you can rest assured that these aren't just modern problems. :)

Kitty_Sheridan said:
at which point the 'shrubbery' appeared to move and some lads dressed as commandos in full camouflage stepped out of the shrubs and cheered.

Were they gentlemen they would not have looked!!

I bet the young man at the bus stop thought all his christmasses had come at once!! I did try to be descreet! lol

I think I shall wear hold ups & a suspender belt in future!! Or braces. Or even tights.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
dollydaydream said:
I had a stupily amusing experience this morning & it got me thinking about embarrassing moments in relation to various vintage clothing...things.

What do you do if you ‘loose’ a stocking??? This morning whilst I was walking down the road, my hold up started falling down! When I got to the bus stop (where someone was waiting) I tried to discreetly hitch up my skirt & adjust the offending item. How discreetly this can be done on a main road at a bus stop I’m not sure. lol

Has anyone else had embarrassing moments like this? What did you do?
That happened to me. I ened up slipping both pairs of stockings off while walking down the street. They were too my ankles by that time anyway.

Smuterella

One Too Many
my whole life is an embarassing moment from going to school without my knickers on, going to work with my sweater on back to front, walking into a tree, my talent for mispronunciation

I struggle to find one particular moment that stands out

:eek:

Smuterella said:
my whole life is an embarassing moment from going to school without my knickers on, going to work with my sweater on back to front, walking into a tree, my talent for mispronunciation

I struggle to find one particular moment that stands out

:eek:

Hehe, at least I remembered my underwear!

I am very clumsy too! Though I don't think anyone noticed when I kicked the bin across the room the other day *ahem*

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I have an older friend who grew up wearing girdles and stockings. One day when she was in school and up front giving a book report, her garter popped loose and went flying across the classroom. Poor thing!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
dollydaydream said:
. Or even tights.

Oh, but even those can be a disaster. My embarrassing moment involved tights. I was teaching school, and for St Patrick's day, had pulled out my green tights, which usually get worn only once a year. I did not note as I dressed that the elastic at the waist had gone ppppfffttt!
I made it until the morning recess (10:10 AM) when they started their downward decent. I started walking to the office, in the hopes of making it to the Ladies Room to correct the problem, but those tights were sliding faster than I could walk and I wasn't having any luck discreetly hitching or holding them. They had reached the point of hopeless by the time I reached the bench in the, thankfully deserted, hallway. So I sat, pulled them the rest of the way off and tucked them in my handbag. lol Nobody was the wiser, but I thought I might die of the horror.

The Shirt

Practically Family
This one is not mine- but my dearest friend. When she came home that day, I was truly horrified and still find it hard to laugh at. She was walking across campus (a couple of miles truly) with backpack hitched over her shoulder. Apparently as she was walking her long full skirt got stuck under the back of the pack. It slowly but surely creeped up with each step. Apparently she walked a long distance with half her rear in open site of everyone she passed none the wiser. No one stopped her. She didn't realize it until she got into class and took it off. Poor girl.

Mine happened while presenting my thesis. My front and center closure bra snapped open the second I stood up to start. Very hard to concentrate when you picture every single persons eyes are on your chest and your flying girls.

I also fall in a pothole once a year. I have done so for the past 7 years. I've exposed my garters a few times. Generally I can laugh it off but twice it's happened on first dates. There weren't second ones after that.:(

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My mom tucked the back hem of her silk dress into her pantyhose just before my sister's wedding ceremony started. The wedding coordinator caught her as she entered the foyer for the church getting ready to head down the aisle.

Mom also sat in fresh bird droppings at my brother's outdoor ceremony a few years ago. We didn't notice until she stood up for the bride coming down the aisle, and the evidence was quite clear on the back of her plum colored crepe dress.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Oh, so many for me.

At about 10am one morning I was in the busy cafeteria of our head office when one of the Vice Presidents (who I had met only once or twice) took me aside. I had sat in bright pink gum on the bus and that said gum had spread all over the back of my black skirt. I was utterly mortified but she was awfully nice to me, even told me how to get it off (put ice cubes on the gum until it gets hard and peel it off). What really killed me is that I had been walking around for 2 hours before anyone told me! Argh!

I had the "bag over the shoulder/skirt riding up" thing happen to me too, but luckily I was in New York City so nobody batted an eye ;) I also fall fairly frequently, being the klutz that I am.

And not to be forgetting all the classic incidents when your "monthly visitor" comes early and it takes someone pointing it out to you before you notice.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've had more than my share of garters coming undone and heels breaking off shoes, but the worst thing happened one day at work last summer -- I had rushed into the employees rest room to do some urgent business, and in my haste i forgot to press the lock button. As I was doing myself up afterward, skirt hoisted above waist and getting my girdle back into position, the door opened and our 15 year old popcorn boy was standing there with a look of utter horror on his face. He apparently had no idea such things existed as I was wearing under my dress.

I mustered as much dignitiy as I could and said "I'll be just another moment. Could you check the ice machine when you go downstairs?"

We have never spoken of the incident since. Fortunately.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Kitty_Sheridan said:

See, I would've just smiled over my shoulder at them and given them some extra wiggle as I walked away.

I've had my skirt tucked into my pantyhose coming out of the lavatory one day. Luckily one of the girls here at work said something before anyone else could notice.

I've definitely had suspenders pop. I'll just tuck into a corner and fix it. I don't really care if anyone sees. Nowadays, it's just a little sexy, not downright scandalous.

Foofoogal

Banned
One day I went to town with my buttoned shirt inside out and noone even told me. Isn't that unreal. I think I would tell someone if I saw that.

My most embarrassing thing in my life is in the 9th. grade and the first day of high school. At a small country high school the first day the whole high school was in the gym. The girls lined up on one side and the boys on one. You know how the senior boys always check out the freshman girls. This was a long time ago and I was standing by my best girlfriend. Both of us trying to ignore the boys looking and as scared as can be to be new anyway but trying to be cool. Someone knocked my eyeglasses off my face and they were on the floor. I cannot see anything without them really and was trying to elbow my girlfriend but she was I guess looking at all the boys so I had to get on my hands and knees to find them before someone else stepped on them. I was scarred for life. Just kidding but it was awful. High school can be the meanest time for anyone.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Joie deVive: this is why I don't like pantyhose, although I still wear them for convenience sake. So many times have I struggled with pantyhose that are so determined to hit the floor! So many times have I had to walk like Jowh Wayne in a futile attempt to prevent the pantyhose to slide even further down, feeling and knowing that they are allready way below my bum under my skirt! The dreaded scenario is that they will complete the descending, leaving me like one of these panty-dropping dames in those awfuly tacky 50s-paintings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy