Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

embossed, debossed or applique?

HATCO

Vendor
IMG_4231.jpg

I didn't want to threadjack but I found this picture of a sweatband which belongs to a very nice hat owned by dinerman. Is this an applique or an embossing with strange shadows?

I figure it could be that the hat was turned one way to best take the picture of the sweatband and then inverted in photoshop to make it right side up...

Dinerman? Anyone else?

HATCO

Vendor
No. Not at this time. :eusa_doh: sorry Lately I've taken a lot of interest in the accouterments of the hats we make. The details of the sweatband dies and the lining tips. Stuff like that.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
It's just an illusion. Your brain always wants the light to come from above and to the left.

Here it is flipped.

Well I'll be dipped! It sure did look like an applique, didn't it?

Would the embossing have been done by the factory as part of the run for that particular store, or would it have been done at the store with their own embossing machine? (I'm guessing the former, but what do I know? [huh] )

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. I just remembered why that store name was familiar... it's a department store that was still in business when I was stationed at Offutt AFB near Omaha in the first half of the '80s. Dunno about now, though.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
HATCO said:
DINERMAN:

Did you take the photo upside down and then flip it in post processing?

I really don't recall- I took the picture two years ago. It's entirely possible.
When I get back home, I should take a better shot of that logo- my new camera has a better macro feature.

And for those wondering, this sweatband is found in this hat:

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael