Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emerson Hats

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I won this Emerson on Ebay! My first American Hat! It makes me a bit proud to own a Hat how
this one here. He is in good condition. Only on the left side some moth bites. Inside, little worn.
Any guess how old?

This is an Emerson Peerless Dryette, the brim wide is 2 9/16

emerson5.jpg

emerson6.jpg

emerson7.jpg

emerson8.jpg

emersonj.jpg

emerson1.jpg

emerson2.jpg

emerson3f.jpg

emerson4.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I won this Emerson on Ebay! My first American Hat! It makes me a bit proud to own a Hat how
this one here. He is in good condition. Only on the left side some moth bites. Inside, little worn.
Any guess how old?

This is an Emerson Peerless Dryette, the brim wide is 2 9/16

emerson5.jpg

Stunning Emerson, Manfred!! I have seen a handful of Emerson's but its pretty rare that a pre-50's/60's one shows up. Your hat has an un-reeded sweatband, so you have to be extra careful not to pop the remaining stitches. Due to the un-reeded sweatband and the wider brim, I would say the hat dates to the late 30's/early early 40's. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Josh, thats great Infos about mine. I did not think, he is so old. This are wonderful New´s.

Your Lord Hat is really fantastic! He looks so good! Thanks for sharing this!
What means that United Hatter Logo!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Possible date?

Great Emerson, Rick!

I'm not an expert hat dater by any means, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say early to mid 40's. Your hat is a bit newer than Manfreds I believe because yours has a "reeded" sweatband. But then again, from the pictures i can't see if the hat actually has a reed behind the sweatband or just another leather strip which attaches to the hat itself and acts as an additional sweat barrier for the felt. Either way, for many major American manufactures, that sweatband style came after the un-reeded style. I have seen Stetsons and other brands from the very early 40's using that "double leather" sweatband. I would be willing to bet that your hat and Manfreds hat have less than 5 years between them.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
What means that United Hatter Logo!

Manfred, check out this thread:

Union Labels

Bill started a wonderful thread about the Union labels. The Union labels themselves are not a definitive dating method, but they give a fairly hard break between hats made before 1934 and after 1934. There could be a year or so carry over just for the manufactures to use up their old stamp stock, but the change over in stamps was around 1934/1935.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Manfred, check out this thread:

Union Labels

Bill started a wonderful thread about the Union labels. The Union labels themselves are not a definitive dating method, but they give a fairly hard break between hats made before 1934 and after 1934. There could be a year or so carry over just for the manufactures to use up their old stamp stock, but the change over in stamps was around 1934/1935.

Thanks Josh, thats a great thread and shows different Numbers on the stamps! 33 or 29 usw. what does it means?

Zetwal, great ads, very interesting to see, thank you for your contribution.

Randall, thank you for the link. It looks like a newer Emerson and the condition seems not so good!

Dinerman, thank you for your contribution ! Have you any guess how old ist this great looking Milan!

Does Anybody know, how long was Emerson in business!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Early 1940's Emerson Thin Ribbon Six-Fifty

Here's a gorgeous Emerson Thin ribbon that I just got from Robert. Thanks Robert!!

Its extremely lightweight and with the un-reeded sweatband, its also extremely comfortable.

08102012932.jpg

08102012933.jpg

08102012934.jpg

08102012935.jpg

08102012938.jpg

08102012940.jpg

08102012937.jpg

08102012939.jpg

08102012942.jpg

08102012941.jpg

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
Just picked up a couple hats while on a trip below the border, this is one I picked up. I'm not too familiar with this brand but I could see it was in great condition immediately. I'm guessing because of the broad curl to the brim and un-reeded sweatband that it's probably from the mid-40's, or maybe a little earlier, you guys would know better, what do you think?

tumblr_mnmhmttxLq1qhhvpco1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnmhmttxLq1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnmhmttxLq1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnmhmttxLq1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW