Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

End Table turned Vanity

16_sparrows

Vendor
I inherited an end table from my friend and decided to paint it and turn it into a modest vanity. I thought you ladies might find the transformation interesting.

This is what I started with:
440961774_260a1b2d6e.jpg

And this is what I ended with:
440961764_ae2f6a0895.jpg

I forced myself to work with that I had for this project. Total project cost $2.49, the price of the spray paint. Free table, mirror came with my apartment, lace cover was from my linens, stool is an ottoman from one of my chairs.

Extra images: Here is a during shot, a close up of what is on the vanity and the hair set I created using my vanity.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
**moved thread**

Hi!

I moved the thread here because this better fits this area. But what a great job! WHooo Hoooo!!! :eusa_clap

LD

16_sparrows

Vendor
Lady Day said:
Hi!

I moved the thread here because this better fits this area. But what a great job! WHooo Hoooo!!! :eusa_clap

LD

Ah, thanks. Does seem to be a better spot. Heehee, I figured the Powder Room needs a vanity! Ooops! ;)

Thanks, I can't wait to put it to good use.

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Hey, what a great idea, it turned out so lovely. :eusa_clap

I've been hankering for a vanity lately and a project like this might just be the ticket!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Both projects are really great! The vanity is such a great idea! I need to get my kiester in gear and make one of those for myself! :D

I especially love the kitty outhouse!! I made a little kitty tent once just for my cat to lounge around in... he seemed to think it WAS an outhouse! Bad kitty! :p He would have appreciated your kitty outhouse much more!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Another way to make your own vanity!

I'm resurrecting this thread because this week I finally have my very own vanity! I have wanted one for a long time. Even if cost was no option and I had found the perfect vanity, I live in a small home and there just isn't any extra room in my bedroom for one. Then I thought I could use part of my armoire as my vanity area. The armoire was already in the bedroom to store my sewing and crafting supplies. So I just cleared off 2 shelves and covered the lower 2 with vintage-looking fabric. (I didn't even sew anything--fabric glue works wonders and you can attach it with stick-on velcro) I added a vintage looking lamp (bright enough to do my make-up--its also a 3-way touch lamp), a mirror and then all the rest of my frou-frous. I even printed off photos of my favorite 1930s actresses and stuck them on the inside doors for "inspiration" with poster tape. I use the top shelf to store curlers and other misc. stuff, along with some of my purses and I just had to add photos of two of my favorite guys on that shelf too, William Powell and Cary Grant.
I bought a chair pad for a wooden chair that I already had. Now when I want to "beautify" myself all I have to do is open the doors and move my chair in. When I'm done, move the chair and shut the doors. (Its almost too pretty to keep closed, I think.;) ) I'm the only female in this house and having my own space frees up the bathroom and makes me feel oh so elegant.

sue_s_vanity.jpg

If I can create a vanity, then anyone can!

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Very sweet vanities, 16 & BonnieJean. I, too, have vanity love. Mine is a Heywood-Wakefield Rio vanity. It was my 3rd major purchase when I moved out on my own... mattress, sofa, vanity - check, check, check. I didn't know much about furniture but I fell hard. Even though I could ill afford it, I knew it was meant for me. Every once in a while, I think about getting the h-w pouffle for it but kinda like the pseudo-Saarinen tulip cafe chair thing I am currently using.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I simply adore vanities... I wish I had room for one

*looks around miniscule room*

Maybe if I toss out my roommate and all her stuff..... ;)

But really, that's one of my first projects once I get my own place!

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
BonnieJean said:
I'm resurrecting this thread because this week I finally have my very own vanity! I have wanted one for a long time. Even if cost was no option and I had found the perfect vanity, I live in a small home and there just isn't any extra room in my bedroom for one. Then I thought I could use part of my armoire as my vanity area. The armoire was already in the bedroom to store my sewing and crafting supplies. So I just cleared off 2 shelves and covered the lower 2 with vintage-looking fabric. (I didn't even sew anything--fabric glue works wonders and you can attach it with stick-on velcro) I added a vintage looking lamp (bright enough to do my make-up--its also a 3-way touch lamp), a mirror and then all the rest of my frou-frous. I even printed off photos of my favorite 1930s actresses and stuck them on the inside doors for "inspiration" with poster tape. I use the top shelf to store curlers and other misc. stuff, along with some of my purses and I just had to add photos of two of my favorite guys on that shelf too, William Powell and Cary Grant.
I bought a chair pad for a wooden chair that I already had. Now when I want to "beautify" myself all I have to do is open the doors and move my chair in. When I'm done, move the chair and shut the doors. (Its almost too pretty to keep closed, I think.;) ) I'm the only female in this house and having my own space frees up the bathroom and makes me feel oh so elegant.

If I can create a vanity, then anyone can!

I'm gald she did this, now I don't have to move to the garage to make room for a new piece of furniture! Did you notice pictures of her two favorite guys didn't include me!:eusa_doh:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Harry Pierpont said:
I'm gald she did this, now I don't have to move to the garage to make room for a new piece of furniture! Did you notice pictures of her two favorite guys didn't include me!:eusa_doh:

That's because she doesn't a picture of you in the bedroom, where you already are....pictures always pale in comparison to the real person.

:)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
That's because she doesn't a picture of you in the bedroom, where you already are....pictures always pale in comparison to the real person.

:)

Thanks, Miss Neecerie, couldn't of said it better myself.

Harry, you KNOW you're my favorite guy! I'll be putting up a photo of you soon!

That is just adorable BonnieJean! I have my grandmothers old kidneybean shape vanity table but it is a mess. I need to make it as pretty and oranized as yours. My plan someday is to make a big skirt for it and the bench I use with it. Have you ever seen the one Ginger Rogers has in "Bachelor Mother"? That is what I want mine to look like.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
CherryRed,
While I don't recall that particular vanity in the movie (mental note to self: got to watch movie again), I have seen those kidney-shaped vanities. They are so pretty. Like I said in my original post, its very easy to put together the skirting with fabric glue and stick-on velcro. I had it done in less than an hour. Even though putting a longer piece of fabric on your vanity would take a little bit longer, I'd think you could do it easily in an evening. There are a lot of fabric choices out there too. Be sure to post a picture when you get it finished. Now that I've made my vanity, I can't believe I got along without it! Its just fabulous!!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Bonnie Jean, that vanity is just beautiful!!:) I love the fabric you used as a skirt, and the way you arranged your beauty supplies on the tray (I see the Coty powder front and center!:D ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff