Enamel Top Table I Fixed Up

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Old Mariner, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Old Mariner

Old Mariner Familiar Face

I didn't see any threads on enamel top tables so...

I got this table with 4 chairs at a local antique shop in 2018. Because the legs were rotten, I chose to "update" the style to what I wanted. This was a creative project that I had wanted to do anyway. So I got straight tapered legs and painted them black, as well as the sides of the table. There was a false drawer handle and wood piece (on the other side) that was removed and replaced with a new piece.

The 4 chairs were replaced with modern chairs that are more comfortable for me and fit the new style of the table. There is one working extension, but I really don't use it. Since this turned out so well, I took an empty sewing cabinet that was given to me, and painted it based upon the same type of color scheme. The cabinet has similarly straight tapered legs.

20200604_144021.jpg

BobHufford, Bugguy and Edward Reed like this.
  2. Edward Reed

Edward Reed One of the Regulars

wow! fantastic job! The modern updates are all aesthetically perfect! great restoration project making something old as new again and bringing it to today's design sense. well done!

Old Mariner likes this.
  3. Old Mariner

Thanks. :) This table, is the only one I have ever seen, that has the enamel artwork that mimics wood. It's really different and that's one of the reasons why I got it over one that was in better shape. I didn't want an art deco pattern...plus I wouldn't want to take apart one that was in better shape.

Edward Reed likes this.
  4. Old Mariner

I happened to be browsing through 1920s interiors images and came across this:

2601456613_637ae174c3.jpg.cf.jpg

The table there (I guess it is an enamel top one) has legs similar to the ones I put on mine to replace the bad ones.

Edward Reed likes this.
  5. Edward Reed

Edward Reed One of the Regulars

sweet find! always exciting to find photo or illustration evidence of an item you have and better yet, to see the restoration you did was a correct choice in design for a period look! you did well!

Old Mariner likes this.
  6. Old Mariner

Call it a "verified hunch" I guess.:rolleyes:

Edward Reed likes this.