Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Cheers mate, I'm in the worlds most liveable city, canberra;)
They are happy to fix if I pay return post. So, the boots will owe me close to $800 which to me is crazy. Will sit on it for the weekend. I'm so disappointed in them I haven't even tried them on.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cheers mate, I'm in the worlds most liveable city, canberra;)
They are happy to fix if I pay return post. So, the boots will owe me close to $800 which to me is crazy. Will sit on it for the weekend. I'm so disappointed in them I haven't even tried them on.

Whoa that's a hefty figure! Maybe putting them in the classifieds here or an online auction site might help recoup a good whack of the dough. Personally I'd like a pic of them on your feet. I reckon most of us on the Lounge have had a purchase go south like this, so I feel your pain.

Canberra is a great place to live! Last time I was there I saw Frankie Valli live by the lake!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Benny, I'd stick them up for sale, brand new, unworn, get as much as you can for them. Priced and advertised properly, I reckon any loss is likely to be less than the extra postage will cost you. Damn annoying though because, heel aside, they look great.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, a bit rough, I told the guy today that I felt like I had bought a new car but somebody had taken a dump in the glovebox before I picked it up...I will sort something out. They aren't the worst boots in the world, but compared to what I thought they would be, they don't rate. Will keep you posted.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Apologies for the crappy pics. I went and visited my 67 year old mum while she was watching Inspector Morse. Usual ipad quality with poor lighting, I didn't realise how noticeable the celastic toe would be..

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Bunnyip,

That is just awful. The heel height is anything but "woodsman" and I really don't like the lug soles. If it were me I'd push to get a partial refund that would equal the amount it would cost to have them resoled locally. Eg $200 USD. If not for the heels and soles those boots would pretty much be the grail engineers IMO.

Really (really) sorry for you bro....

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Bunnyip,

That is just awful. The heel height is anything but "woodsman" and I really don't like the lug soles. If it were me I'd push to get a partial refund that would equal the amount it would cost to have them resoled locally. Eg $200 USD. If not for the heels and soles those boots would pretty much be the grail engineers IMO.

Really (really) sorry for you bro....
It's alright mate. I've had rotten luck, I bought a custom jacket a few months back and everything that could wrong did go wrong, sent it back and didn't bother with another. This is hopefully going to be fixed. I sent a lengthy email to the guys on Saturday my time. Hopefully hear back Monday US time. I can't see myself being cool with it and wearing them. Not at this stage. It's a big learning curve. Bloody hard piecing all the info together to order from brief emails ( the guys are obviously flat out) when things get lost in translation, and sometimes a 4 question email will only get 2 answers, so you just tack it all together, and send some pics instead and basically just say that one please! Then the last issue which I didn't stress too much about ad they had the pics of what I wanted, everything was paid for, the 4 months had been waited out etc etc. as soon as I pulled them from the box I just about cried...honestly, was so bloody puzzled and disappointed...took me 2 days before I even bothered trying them on.in the meantime I got bitter.real bitter. I've gone through the whole rainbow of emotions, and now I don't really care. Just want it sorted, not interested in paying for anything, either way, I'm probably never going to wear them. If they were $200 chippewas, no worries, if I got them on sale, or seconds, absolutely. But not a small fortune and a 4 month wait...no way. It should be cool. Not the end of the world, and I reckon it will be OK. Watch this space...

Benny Holiday

Thanks for the pics Bunyip. I can see what you mean with the heel, they look like Bundstone heels or something. Wishing you a satisfactory resolution to the whole issue mate.

kyboots

Practically Family
Once again I dont mind the soles because I have those lug soles and like the comfort. My lug soles have a higher heel that looks like a heel should be. I dont believe you got what was represented and I have to believe they will work it out with you. I hear nothing but good things about these folks and they want you to be happy. The boots otherwise are fantastic. I know you will keep us in the loop or should I say forum.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Lots of emails buzzing back and forth. The options for a solution weren't what I wanted to hear. Either was going to cost me a few hundred. Sent a novel sized email yesterday afternoon, bit my tongue and kept my cool. I'm hoping to have it resolved one way or another today. They are great people, no doubt, just a massive misunderstanding, and the tyranny of distance meaning that everything is big bucks back and forth...fingers crossed. Will be curd to keep you posted.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Just a heads up guys, I know this isn't the classified section, but my custom Wesco Boss featured in this thread are for sale, I will be doing a proper classified ad later this afternoon after work. Just need to decide on a price. They will be a good deal, no doubt about it.Domain brown, double mid,2"extended instep strap, NOS gold chrome buckles from Japan. size 13 EE pinched heel. Nothing wrong with the boots, just not quite I expected. They will be priced to sell.
cheers,

Benny Holiday

Gents, I did a search and couldn't find anything, so please forgive me if this matter has been discussed previously: did any of the vintage manufacturers emboss their company name/logo on the outside of their boots? I've noticed that Wesco, Whites, Chippewa and Frye all do, and maybe it's just me being nitpicky, but it kinda bugs me in terms of it not being authentic to the 40s/50s aesthetic(if that's important to you). At least Whites and Wesco seem to have smaller logos up high on the front of their engineer boots. Was it done 60 years ago? Does it bother anyone else? Or am I just a pain the you-know-where?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Gents, I did a search and couldn't find anything, so please forgive me if this matter has been discussed previously: did any of the vintage manufacturers emboss their company name/logo on the outside of their boots? I've noticed that Wesco, Whites, Chippewa and Frye all do, and maybe it's just me being nitpicky, but it kinda bugs me in terms of it not being authentic to the 40s/50s aesthetic(if that's important to you). At least Whites and Wesco seem to have smaller logos up high on the front of their engineer boots. Was it done 60 years ago? Does it bother anyone else? Or am I just a pain the you-know-where?
I'm pretty sure you can ask them not to stamp the boots with a logo?

Yeah I guess. Just something I've noticed recently, that's all, and I was wondering if it's only me that doesn't like it.

Not just you.

It reminds me too much of polo shirts with little animals on them. "Hey, look how much I spent on this."

Another thing that I see a lot of boot manufacturers doing these days, if they are a U.S. manufacture any way, although I have seen a few British too, is sewing a little flag onto the shoe/boot. Don't know if the same applies in other countries, and I may be about to go off on a rant and no one cares, but I was taught as a boy that the only acceptable way to wear the nations flag was as (a) a patch on the left shoulder of a uniform or (b) a lapel pin for civilian use. I'm willing to let slide the hats and T-shirts that are near universal anywhere today, but to walk around with your nations flag on your feet is a level of disrespect for everyone who's ever served under it that would be unfathomable to most people if they actually gave it any thought.

Apologies, I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Oh, and Bunyip those boots look pretty nice to me. The heel IS a bit low, but it reminds me of the ones on a lot of Red Wings. Seems like any fair cobbler could slide another layer or two of leather in there for not too much $$. Either way, good luck with them.

Edward

Bartender
Another thing that I see a lot of boot manufacturers doing these days, if they are a U.S. manufacture any way, although I have seen a few British too, is sewing a little flag onto the shoe/boot. Don't know if the same applies in other countries, and I may be about to go off on a rant and no one cares, but I was taught as a boy that the only acceptable way to wear the nations flag was as (a) a patch on the left shoulder of a uniform or (b) a lapel pin for civilian use. I'm willing to let slide the hats and T-shirts that are near universal anywhere today, but to walk around with your nations flag on your feet is a level of disrespect for everyone who's ever served under it that would be unfathomable to most people if they actually gave it any thought.

A Northern Ireland expression has left me with an extremely cynical attitude to the whole business of flags... Frankly, on any given day I lean to the same view as the artist Banksy - "People who enjoy waving flags don't deserve to have one". I wouldn't wear anything displaying a flag in that way at all, though it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if it was easily razored off.

casechopper

I'm not a big flag waver but I also think it's odd to have a flag on a work boot that's going to be used in dirty situations. On my Thorogoods I cut the flags off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails