Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

coleslawyum

New in Town
I would say about $180 to $200 without a re-welt. The thing that is killer is the cost of shipping. The queue is about 2 months since he's gotten quite famous over the years. If you manage to be in Japan the same time he finishes, you save on shipping. It's a bit more expensive than most cobblers but for me it's well worth the money since I don't have to explain anything to him. He just gets it.

Hukurokuju does some impressive custom repairs!! may I ask how much they charged you for a stacked leather heel, leather-midsole and vibram outsoles? And how long would it take them to do the customisation?

I saw some nice Redwing Beckman-jobs, including the use of Catspaws.. I would really like to have them customize my Beckmans..

coleslawyum

New in Town
Beckmans

Speaking of Beckmans. Here's the ones that Hukurokuju customized for me.

rw2.jpg

rw1.jpg

rw3.jpg

jon z

One of the Regulars
AL’S ATTIRE
1314 Grant Avenue (between Green & Vallejo)
San Francisco, CA 94133
email: al@alsattire.com

Hukurokuju in Tokyo. He's done quite a few pairs for me.

Check on eBay - there is a seller who seems to stocka ll the sizes of Work America Engineer boots.

I have considered ordering a pair of these, but there seem to be a few variations in the look of the sole. If you look at Marineabilly's pics and then look at the stock Work Ameraica photo, the tan midsole layers seem to look different.

Thanks guys.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I would say about $180 to $200 without a re-welt. The thing that is killer is the cost of shipping. The queue is about 2 months since he's gotten quite famous over the years. If you manage to be in Japan the same time he finishes, you save on shipping. It's a bit more expensive than most cobblers but for me it's well worth the money since I don't have to explain anything to him. He just gets it.

Thanks Coleslaw.. that's what I expected.. Nice boots!

alambka

New in Town
I have a pair of Red Wings a Pair of Chippewa and a vintage pair of Fry's. I recommend the Chippewas and the red wings, I bought the vintage frys because they have moved so much offshore and the quality is not as it once was. I only buy American boots.

univibe88

One Too Many
My Chippewas are made too well. I really, really love the look of broken in engineer boots, but not so much the look of new ones. Mine are a year old and they still look too good!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
This last week, I finally made the drive up to the Wesco factory. I made my order several months ago, and they are about to start on my pair, so I decided I'd better run up and make sure the sizing is right.

Well, actually, it was my second attempt. The last time I drove up was December 23rd, the first day of Wesco's Christmas shutdown..... Nothing like getting up early to drive up before work, and arriving to find you were one day late :) I'm only about an hour south of them, but they are only open Monday thru Friday, 7:30AM to 4PM. That's a bit tough for the average person with a 8am-5pm job to work around.

Anyhow, I got there, and met up with their sales Manager, Chris. I was expecting to get measured like they do at White's or Nick's Boots, but he simply had me try on a few pairs of boots. Considering what Wesco's cost, I was a bit surprised by this. However, the size 13 Boss Engineer boots I tried on fit so incredibly well, that I couldn't complain. I'm not even a fan of black boots, but if I had the money they would have followed me home.

I got the chance to check out their whole product line, and their boots are very nice. They're very well built, and the leather is very thick and supple. You wouldn't think this would be the case, but their boots were surprisingly light. My White's and Nick's boots are much heavier - I think this is because these companies use a much thicker construction with a built up leather arch support. The Wesco's are much more like your average pair of boots, with lower arches. They were quite comfortable as well. I look forward to receiving mine so I can do a more in-depth comparison. My Boss boots will be 11" tall, with brown leather, a double midsole, and Vibram 705 half-sole.

The harness boots are very cool, and if you're looking to step up to something with more options than a pair of Frye's. They looked quite tough and maybe someday I'll look into a pair. The Jobmaster lace-ups are nice, but I like my White's better. Just personal preference I guess. They even had a pair of thigh-high Boss Engineer boots on display - not my thing, but pretty wild to see in person. It's worth noting that their black leather is very nice, and the brown leather is very rich and natural looking. The Redwood leather was my least favorite - it wasn't bad, but I think it looked a bit plasticky and more saturated. I expected to like it a lot more than I did. I have heard that it was not been as good lately because they had to change suppliers, so perhaps this will mot always be the case.

Anyhow, I don't have any pics, but it was great to get a chance to check out all of Wesco's products first-hand, and I hope it helps anyone else that is considering taking the plunge.

- Jim

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Really cool boots. Personally I like the placement of the strap on the boots. I'm sure you will enjoy them. I just picked up a pair of Frye Rand Engineers after seeing yours and others on this thread. I really like them. Thanks for the info on them.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Okay, so here are the promised pics of my new custom Wesco's!! They were made with the following specs:

Brown 7oz oil tanned leather
Vibran 705 "retro" half sole
Double leather Midsole
Undyed "buff" welts and heels
Nickel Silver Hardware
Standard 11" height
Size 13D
9165 (standard) last

I just got them yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to really wear them yet, but they are a great fit and feel pretty comfortable. They came with a removable insole which adds a little cushion. The leather is very thick and heavy. It will definitely take some breaking in, especially the uppers. The standard brown color is darker than I expected it to be - they look darker in real life than the in the pics. The double midsole adds some weight, but they are still lighter than my White's Smoke Jumpers. They also do not have the high arch support of White's or Nick's boots. I ordered the standard 11" height, but the tops actually measure 12.5" from the top of the heel to the top of the shaft - not a bad thing, just interesting. It was the first thing I noticed when I out them on. The buckles are nice, thick cast pieces, not cheap stamped metal.

I opted for the Vibram 705 half sole, and I love the way it looks. It is actually a dark brown color, so it goes great with the brown uppers. I have been comparing the sole to a standard Vibram lug sole, and the 705 sole and heel appear to be a slightly lighter material - not as light as a crepe sole, but not as dense as the standard black #100 lug sole either. I hope these hold up and don't wear out quickly. I very well could be wrong about them being less dense.

One thing I don't care for is that Wesco doesn't use any kind of dye or sealant when you ask for "natural" colored welts. The finish is just the raw, sanded leather. My concern is that they will get dirty really fast, and the color is a bit too bright "white". However, I called White's boots and found out what they use on their "natural" welts - it's a very light tan sole dye, and I have a bottle of it arriving early next week. I think once I apply this, the welts will stay looking good a lot longer, and have a nice coloration to them.

I ended up going with the standard 9165 last instead of the 9109 "Bump Toe" last. Truthfully, when I drove up to Wesco, I looked at boots with both of the lasts side by side, and I couldn't see a difference. Perhaps if makes more of a difference in the smaller sizes? I am a 13, so the toes are already pretty big. The pair I tried on to check the fit used the 9165 last, and they fit so well I decided to change my order and use that last - no sense messing around when you find something that works.

Anyhow, I am pleased with my new boots. They are definitely pricey, but I knew exactly what I wanted, and nobody makes it. After years of searching, I think I have finally got my perfect pair of Engineer Boots.

WescoBossCustomBrown.jpg

WescoBossCustomBrownSide.jpg

WescoBossCustomBrownBack.jpg

WescoBossCustomBrownToe.jpg

WescoBossCustomBrownSole.jpg

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Good luck breaking those in! I've been wearing mine constantly for nearly six months, and they still look pretty new. They are very comfortable though. I just got back from a trip to London and Paris, and I walk in my Boss boots a lot. I didn't think they would be great for all of that walking, but they were fantastic. My feet felt fine after each long day of walking. Might I suggest getting some good boots socks? My wife got me four pairs of "Tech Sox" for Christmas, and they are amazing. They stay up all day. http://www.techsox.com/

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good Morning Jimmer. Beautiful boots. They will be something to enjoy for years to come. I bought a pair of harness boots from Wesco in December and they have not been too hard to break in. Once the uppers softened up they have been fine. Congratulations and enjoy.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Jimmer, nice boots. What do they recommend treating the brown leather with, Bee Oil ? I have black Wesco's and use the Bee Oil followed by the Bee Oil Plus. I wonder if the Bee oil would significantly darken the brown? I usually treat mine once a year before riding season, just did two pairs. Was thinking about a brown pair myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo