Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

univibe88

One Too Many
Jimmer - amazing boots! Congrats. Please check in with us in about 10 years. Those are going to get some serious personality over the years and be simply incredible.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Can't go wrong with either one...Wesco for the rest of your life ..Chippewa ...more comfortable at least at first..FYI of everyone..just got my pair of Wesco Boss back from Wesco rebuild for a custom stretch of both boots...great job and finally made them comfortable...and you can get them on the phone and work with the rebuild guy to do what you want....

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jimmer, nice boots. What do they recommend treating the brown leather with, Bee Oil ? I have black Wesco's and use the Bee Oil followed by the Bee Oil Plus. I wonder if the Bee oil would significantly darken the brown? I usually treat mine once a year before riding season, just did two pairs. Was thinking about a brown pair myself.

Wesco recommends treating them with bee oil and a bee's wax preservative. For what it's worth, the oil and wax appear to be exactly the same stuff that you would get from White's or Nick's Boots. They did say that the oil would darken the boots significantly, and that the wax would darken them less. My understanding is that the oil is most important to preserve the boots. I am struggling internlly about using it - it would be the best thing for the boots, but I don't want them any darker. I would bet if you applied it once a year, the boots would be too dark for a month or so, but they would lighten back up as the oil dried up.

Thanks for the comments guys! I am looking forward to breaking these in. I have bought a couple of pairs of fantastic boots in the last few months, and it's hard not to make comparisons. I will have to post reviews of my White's Smoke Jumpers (kind of a surprise win on eBay) soon.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Good luck breaking those in! I've been wearing mine constantly for nearly six months, and they still look pretty new. They are very comfortable though. I just got back from a trip to London and Paris, and I walk in my Boss boots a lot. I didn't think they would be great for all of that walking, but they were fantastic. My feet felt fine after each long day of walking. Might I suggest getting some good boots socks? My wife got me four pairs of "Tech Sox" for Christmas, and they are amazing. They stay up all day. http://www.techsox.com/

Thanks for the recommendation - I have been wearing Smartwool Light Hiker socks for the last year - buying good socks is the best thing I have done in years. I will have to check out the Tech Sox.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
You're probably right, I do mine once a year and any residual surface oil is gone by the time I do them again. I think its good to do it tho to keep the leather from drying out, the silicon leather could probably go longer without it but the oil tan seems to be almost like a naked leather and probably needs the oil to help keep them water repellent.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
So do I need to apply the Bees oil after just receiving them or are they good for about a year? Do I need both products?

Thanks

HDRnR

A-List Customer
So do I need to apply the Bees oil after just receiving them or are they good for about a year? Do I need both products?

Thanks

I think they are good for a year out of the box, the Bee oil is a liquid while the Bee Plus is like a saddle soap. They recommend both but your probably fine with just the oil, although in a wet environment I could see how they would benefit from the Bee Plus. They recommend mink oil for storage.

bikerpoizun

New in Town
This answer is very late, and I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this is the online store of BA Mason, who I believe owns that line:

http://www.bamason.com/

edit:

Here's their "wellington"
http://www.bamason.com/product/Work-America-Mens-11-Steel-Toe-Wellington-Boot-Black-000971/
That one is just a cheapo boot as is obvious from the website picture. Three out of their last four mail order catalogs have shown the Red Wing engineer lookalike boot, but it has the same stock number as the wellington. So beware.

vintageghost

New in Town
I just scored a pair of 1950 sears engineer boots at my local thrift store. They are amazing-As for Made in China leather goods no thanks.

vintageghost

New in Town
I like to keep the vintage wear that fits.I have been lucky lately.I go to one place here and once in a while i get real lucky for instance I found a hercules size 44 motorcycle jacket with contrasting piping,the belt was missing but the price was right.In a few weeks I will start a blog based on what I have found .

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Obr 9

Will these do?
Sportster1.jpg
Sportster4.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
I was taking the dog out for a walk a couple of years ago near San Quentin Prison, when I came across a couple of guys that had set up an impromptu garage sale at the side of the road. As I walked by the pile of stuff, these boots caught my eye. They looked like they were just a pair of old rubber boots, so I went along with my walk as planned. On my return, I did stop for a closer look. They were actually a pair of leather boots that had just been dusted over from years of neglect. They were in fact almost brand new. Now at the time I didn't know what the name Wesco meant, but I was soon to find out. I tried them on, and although snug, they did fit. I figured I'd give them a couple of coats of some kind of boot wax, and the leather would loosen up a bit. I asked one of the guys what he wanted for them, and he said, "$10 bucks.". He didn't know what he had, and neither did I. I figured $10 was worth the risk and bought them. I went home and looked up Wesco boots on the internet and was pleasantly surprised. They were virtually new, and looked like they had been worn but once or twice, and that would be indoors. The edges of the Vibram soles were still sharp and crisp. Pound for pound, probably the best deal I've ever come across.

boots.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
What brand are the boots and jacket.
The boots are a no name Chinese! There not bad, nice tread on the soles. The jacket is a Leather Gallery, seems fairly well made. I ended up with the jacket round about, one of our club members has MS and can't ride any more, he bought the jacket new and never wore it. We had an auction at one of our meetings, I started at $5.00, most dropped out at around $30, that left two of us. I went out at $41.00, the other member went to $45, he told me, he didn't really want it, but it was a good cause, he told me if I paid $41, he would kick in $5.00, so I agreed. I really didn't want another black jacket, I already have three, I may finally have some of my many patches sewn on!

univibe88

One Too Many
I was taking the dog out for a walk a couple of years ago near San Quentin Prison, when I came across a couple of guys that had set up an impromptu garage sale at the side of the road. As I walked by the pile of stuff, these boots caught my eye. They looked like they were just a pair of old rubber boots, so I went along with my walk as planned. On my return, I did stop for a closer look. They were actually a pair of leather boots that had just been dusted over from years of neglect. They were in fact almost brand new. Now at the time I didn't know what the name Wesco meant, but I was soon to find out. I tried them on, and although snug, they did fit. I figured I'd give them a couple of coats of some kind of boot wax, and the leather would loosen up a bit. I asked one of the guys what he wanted for them, and he said, "$10 bucks.". He didn't know what he had, and neither did I. I figured $10 was worth the risk and bought them. I went home and looked up Wesco boots on the internet and was pleasantly surprised. They were virtually new, and looked like they had been worn but once or twice, and that would be indoors. The edges of the Vibram soles were still sharp and crisp. Pound for pound, probably the best deal I've ever come across.

No doubt! That is quite the find and a helluva a deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner