Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I like to think I do! I don't think they're really viewed as 'biker wear' these days, any more than a Perfecto is, or than people expect you to be a pilot because you wear an A2. They're so far removed from what folks are used to seeing bikers were now - at least over here - that they're as likely to assume you're wearing some form of cowboy boots.
Edward, I respect your point of view, thanks. I'm considering taking the plunge on a new pair, it's been awhile since I've owned them. I am considering going with brown as I'm feeling a bit less outlaw as I get older.

gomez

New in Town
Gomez, those are killer! I've been eyeing some of Zip's work. Can you talk about the ordering process?

Btw- got a message from Wesco today: my custom PTs are in production!!
best way is to get a hold of him directly ziphtc@gmail.com. The boots are all dyed brown, he can then apply a black dye, black shoe polish or a dark brown dye, or whatever combination and he will take care of it. He offered to ship out a pair to try on, I got mine in an 8 which is my usual work boot size (but I've heard sizing can vary) and I needed an insole which was no big deal to me because they fit great now.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Can a guy who doesn't ride pull off wearing engineer boots??

I like to think I do! I don't think they're really viewed as 'biker wear' these days, any more than a Perfecto is, or than people expect you to be a pilot because you wear an A2. They're so far removed from what folks are used to seeing bikers were now - at least over here - that they're as likely to assume you're wearing some form of cowboy boots.

I have been wearing cowboy and engineer boots for years. In my opinion, engineer boots are some of the most easily accepted boots you can wear as a guy. When your jeans cover the shaft and straps, they essentially look like sturdy dress shoes with thick soles. People are more taken aback that you're wearing pull-on boots than anything else. Cowboy boots tend to draw more comments, but where I live now (out west in Oregon) most people take them in stride. Most people expect you to wear sneakers, really because they're cheap and easy to find. A good pair of boots can be somewhat expensive, but they will reward you with classic rugged looks at never go out of style and quality construction that can last nearly a lifetime if cared for well enough. I highly recommend White's Nomads or Wesco Boss. Go through a dealer like Bakers rather an buying direct and you will save some money. You'll still be in for a minimum of $400 cost, but the quality is worth very penny. I really like knowing that I am paying for quality and craftsmanship, not branding and advertising. Made in the USA as well. :)

(Not that the British are any slouch at shoemaking - man, I like my William Lennons)

CISO1969

New in Town
What are the costs for thes HTC Engineer boots? Does he do E or EE widths? I am a 12.5 EE but usually just buy the 13 it's easier. I see his only seem to go to a size 12--does he make 13 on request?

Sorry cant access his facebook page from work and am curious.

:)

gomez

New in Town

IMG_9990 by jgomez541, on Flickr

IMG_9994 by jgomez541, on Flickr

IMG_9996 by jgomez541, on Flickr

I think they are around $750 not including shipping and then the dye job added some to the final cost. as far as the sizing, I have no idea. I do know that they are made in Los Angeles and he was out of the size 8.5 which was initially what I thought I needed and he said having another made in that size wouldn't be an issue. so bigger sizes may be an option. Getting a hold of him through facebook was the best way I found to communicate with him. Once I agreed on the order I called him to discuss the boots and finally the color scheme. He was super helpful the entire time. another option would be the viberg 83 engineer on the 310 last, with tons of leather options sole options and size options. It just wouldn't have some of the details and may be a bit of a wait.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I have been wearing cowboy and engineer boots for years. In my opinion, engineer boots are some of the most easily accepted boots you can wear as a guy. When your jeans cover the shaft and straps, they essentially look like sturdy dress shoes with thick soles. People are more taken aback that you're wearing pull-on boots than anything else. Cowboy boots tend to draw more comments, but where I live now (out west in Oregon) most people take them in stride. Most people expect you to wear sneakers, really because they're cheap and easy to find. A good pair of boots can be somewhat expensive, but they will reward you with classic rugged looks at never go out of style and quality construction that can last nearly a lifetime if cared for well enough. I highly recommend White's Nomads or Wesco Boss. Go through a dealer like Bakers rather an buying direct and you will save some money. You'll still be in for a minimum of $400 cost, but the quality is worth very penny. I really like knowing that I am paying for quality and craftsmanship, not branding and advertising. Made in the USA as well. :)

(Not that the British are any slouch at shoemaking - man, I like my William Lennons)

Only problem with buying through a dealer at least for Wesco, is you can be limited on your options. Wesco WILL NOT sell the patrol toe last on the boss heel through a dealer. My only option was to go direct. But I'da done it in a heartbeat thru baker's, as their customer service and return policy is stellar

kyboots

Practically Family
I have been a boot man since I was 11 with my first pair of Redwings on the farm. Then on to Frye and my love for these boots all through college and prof. school. Their first square toe harness boot was awsome. I did not bike after college at all but still wore cowboy, Frye and engineers. In fact wore a pair of brown Sendra engineers to work yesterday and all comments were great not any "cowboy comments" as I will frequently get with Tony Lamas. Jimmers comments ring true, the engineers are more accepting right now especially to the younger crown. Will they be in 5 years who knows? Nice boots with a shine go with anything and anywhere. I've just about completely tested that theory too. Gomez great looking boots! Pelican I guess we will see them?

pelican

New in Town
image_zps8d829d21.jpg
image_zpsc0ce3de5.jpg
image_zps4a9b6081.jpg
image_zps0f8dbb23.jpg

so worth the wait

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, Pelican. I never thought much of these type boots, but they are growing on me. I like your pair quite a bit. Looks like a very heavy, oily leather.

pelican

New in Town
basically the same as the limited wesco narrows. they are mp toe, 10", custom buckles, black lining, different sole, modern logo

i went for the custom fit... perfect. I heard some horror stories, but these fit great

leather is the black fire, not oily at all, but heavy, yes

i love my road champs, but these are the ones I'm going to ride with. Built like a tank

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ah snap! That's very close to my build (tho I went with standard steer). Toe box or soft toe?

pelican

New in Town
soft toe
my road champs are softer leather, wider all around. wider in the foot and heel area, shaft is definitely at least 2 inches wider at the top. They are aging nicely, and they are comfortable like in a slipper kind of way, but the leather is so soft sometimes i think the strap will just end up splitting in half. I like them a lot

these wescos are comfortable in a different way in that they just fit my feet right, snug all around, but not too tight to be uncomfortable, leather is heavier and stiffer, nice arch support etc... it'll take a while to break these in.

i'm not sure on the sizing as i did the custom fit on the wescos. trace a pattern of your feet and send it in. They don't tell you the closest size just that it's custom

so I like both, maybe some people wouldn't as the 2 kinds are really night and day difference, not similar at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran