Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone have any experience/comments on the Frye Arkanasas boot?

http://www.discountfryeboots.us/frye-arkansas-engineer-frye-boots-sale-568.html

Looks like a helluva price. I'm sure they aren't as well built as Whites/Wesco, but I have lots of shoes and won't be wearing the crap out of them anyway. In addition, I like the natural colored midsole and that they appear to be slightly sleeker than most engineer boots I've seen. They are also made in the US.

I'm not a biker and am simply looking for a nice looking black boot that goes on and off easy. I figure I can't lose at that price and if I like the engineer boot look, I can graduate to a better quality pair later. Any help?
Be careful as there are plenty of fake Frye boots sites.

I have been scanning this thread for a while and wonder that nobody mentions Chippewa. Since I like a very high boot for use on my rides, Motor Trooper boots #71418 jump out at me. They look good on people I know who ride. Not quite as high brow as some posted here, but within my budget and suits my use.

http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Trooper-Boots-x2033-Chippewa/dp/B00G0DBXPM

Any experiences or thoughts?

Fed
I posted a pair of Chippewa 99953 a month or so ago here. They are pretty tough to break in with the polished leather. The black odessa leather used on 27899 seems much softer. Anyway, I am waiting for a pair of 1901M49, the new model in cordovan colour to arrive.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Be careful as there are plenty of fake Frye boots sites.

I posted a pair of Chippewa 99953 a month or so ago here. They are pretty tough to break in with the polished leather. The black odessa leather used on 27899 seems much softer. Anyway, I am waiting for a pair of 1901M49, the new model in cordovan colour to arrive.

That is a good looking boot, but I like a higher boot and black suits the Harley a lot better.

Fed

Blackadder

The 1901M49 just arrived. WP_000865.jpg WP_000867.jpg WP_000872.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Nice! In daylight are they more a brown colour, or are these the burgundy hue that Aero/Horween call cordovan? I'd love a pair of engineer boots in the latter...

fukigen

Familiar Face
I just got a pair of Chippewa 27864 last saturday, I think old stock as not on the Chippewa catalog.
The leather is called "Bay Crazy Horse", from the information I had from Chippewa, it is oil based cowhide leather.

I am usually not so crazy about shoes or boots, but I just "fell in love" with the color and shade variations these haves. (unfortunately the picture below do not give them justice)

img_9962s.jpg

I have asked Chippewa about what to use to to avoid the leather to dry, and they recommend cream based conditioner, such as Apache cream. To water resist the boots, they recommend the use of Aqua Seal or Snow Seal or Welt seal.

As I do not know these products, could you please provide, if possible, some information about these cream and seal products??
By googling Apache cream, I have found one made by Justin and one made by Bickmore, is there any difference between these 2 products?? Is one better than the other?? Which one do you recommend??

Is a product like Obenhauf not recommended for such leather? In which way would it be armed??

by the way, Blackadder, the 1901M49 looks great, congratulations!

Blackadder are those from the Chippewa "heritage" series that they have been announcing for a while. I had read a fairly negative review, but those don't seem anything like was described. They appear to have a cork sole. Is the heel stacked leather on those? I have yet to run across any from this line, but from the photos I may put more effort into finding them. Please update with a little wear.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Blackadder

These are the "Original" series. The outsole are still vibram and from the look they are cork sole. Heels not stacked leather (just like the normal 27899). The colour is cordovan which has not been made available to outside Japan since now. Other than the outsole, the leather and markings, they do not seem to differ from the normal 27899 (except I bought the one without steel toes). They also cost about the same as the normal engineers.
http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/original/engineer/

Last edited:

strokes1251

Practically Family
Awesome boots everyone! I finally decided to give into my engineer boot bug and get me an entry level pair to see how if I would enjoy them. I went with a pair of Chippewas 27911. I'm not gonna lie I have fallen for the engineer boot. 2 thumbs up for Chippewa from me. Now to start up a separate fund for Wescos! :D (btw this is after one month of wear :))

21odeue.jpg

8z41tl.jpg

2po1d2b.jpg

9q8z60.jpg

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I talked with Pete the custom guru there and he told me yes they could make me a pair out of something provided to wesco by me, but it would need to be 5oz leather or thicker, still have to be tested for durability by wesco first, so there's no guarantees they would use the hide, and there isn't any price break if you do provide your own hide. I kinda shelved that idea but it may be time to look into it again.
I remember calling horween about buying my own hide and a FQHH was in the $300 range. If I remember correctly Pete told me I could get two sets of boots out of a hide. Does anybody want to go halves on a hide with me for a custom pair of engineer boots in horse hide?
Any update on this? I just ordered a pair in brown but I need a pair in black.

kyboots

Practically Family
I just got a pair of Chippewa 27864 last saturday, I think old stock as not on the Chippewa catalog.
The leather is called "Bay Crazy Horse", from the information I had from Chippewa, it is oil based cowhide leather.

I am usually not so crazy about shoes or boots, but I just "fell in love" with the color and shade variations these haves. (unfortunately the picture below do not give them justice)

img_9962s.jpg

I have asked Chippewa about what to use to to avoid the leather to dry, and they recommend cream based conditioner, such as Apache cream. To water resist the boots, they recommend the use of Aqua Seal or Snow Seal or Welt seal.

As I do not know these products, could you please provide, if possible, some information about these cream and seal products??
By googling Apache cream, I have found one made by Justin and one made by Bickmore, is there any difference between these 2 products?? Is one better than the other?? Which one do you recommend??

Is a product like Obenhauf not recommended for such leather? In which way would it be armed??

by the way, Blackadder, the 1901M49 looks great, congratulations!

I would not do anything with those boots. They are going to develope a nice everyday rough out look on their own if you just wear them.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Here is one of the interesting things I noted - the Nomads use a Vibram 700 full length composition sole that has been cut down and thinned at the end. THe Wesco's in this picture use a true Vibram 705 half sole. I'm not sure why White's chooses to do this - it seems like more work. I also miss the "figure 8" stitching, but it's not a dealbreaker.

WhitesNomadDistressed07.jpg

One of my initial concerns was that the distressed brown would be too close in color to the standard brown oil tanned leather. As you can see, they look quite different.

WhitesNomadDistressed09.jpg

Finally, here are some pics of my original pair of Brown Nomads. They are breaking in quite gracefully. I have been pretty nice to these boots, and they don't show as much patina as my Wesco's. However, I have also had them less time. The uppers were somewhat stiff when I first received them, but they are softening nicely with wear. I am very pleased with how they look and feel thus far:

WhitesNomadBrown01-1.jpg

WhitesNomadBrown02-1.jpg

WhitesNomadBrown03-1.jpg

WhitesNomadBrown04-1.jpg
Super stuff Jimmer. How have they all broken in thus far? Would love to see the distressed Nomads after some wear...also, the whites lower buckle strap seems quite short...can it be seen under the cuff of the jeans? I like the the nomads, but pref the Wesco option of a longer strap...

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Is that the idea of a longer strap - so that is is visible when wearing? Most of these White's/Wesco's seem made to measure, so I wouldn't imagine much adjustment would be necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael