Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epidemic Proportions

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Casual dress......especially in warm weather parts of the USA has all but driven out the classy look. Many guys I know......including my father....only wear a tie at weddings or funerals.

I remember in the mid 1990's, The Montel Williams Show moved from LA to NYC because audiences dress nicer there.

The one item that is at epidemic proportions are blue jeans. On the West Coast, you are hard pressed to find a man in a crowd NOT wearing jeans or shorts......or what they call shorts today....which are only 4 or 5 inches shorter than a normal pair of pants.

Blue jeans are.....well......blue. Never the less people will wear colors with them that are totally wrong. You would never wear an olive green dress shirt with a blue suit. It would look hidious, but I see people wearing every color under the sun....including ones that don't go.

It kind of reminds me of guys that used to wear a suit....with a baseball cap. Usually they were in the sports buisness.

Anyway.......blue jeans have a place. I have one pair that I wear if I am painting the house or some other activity when I don't want to mess up a good pair of pants. I used to wear them more when I was teenager and in my twenties.

I guess I am a grown up now.;)

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I agree, for the most part. I'm the only teacher that wears a tie everyday, including Fridays. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one showing an example of how to dress properly to today?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s youth. The only time I wear jeans is the weekend. Usually it is because I am either out of dress pants, working in the yard, hanging around the house, or going some place that I might get dirty. However, I have to disagree about colors going with jeans. I think it would on the actual shades of the colors. I actually wear an olive green shirt with my blue jeans. The only color I don't think looks good with blue jeans is blue. There needs to be some contrast in colors. I fact, I wore this yesterday when I went out to the hardware store, along with my Aldens, PB custom, and Wested dark lambskin jacket. It looks good to me, and I'm the kind of guy who makes sure his sock and boxers look good with the rest of his ensemble.

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Denim and jeans - where do the names come from?

The word jeans comes from a kind of material that was made in Europe. The material, called jean, was named after sailors from Genoa in Italy, because they wore clothes made from it. The word 'denim' probably came from the name of a French material, serge de Nimes: serge (a kind of material) from Nimes (a town in France).

The 18th century

At first, jean cloth was made from a mixture of things. However, in the eighteenth century as trade, slave labour, and cotton plantations increased, jean cloth was made completely from cotton. Workers wore it because the material was very strong and it did not wear out easily. It was usually dyed with indigo, a dye taken from plants in the Americas and India, which made jean cloth a dark blue colour.

The 19th century ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú The California Gold Rush

In 1848, gold was found in California (not too far from San Francisco) and the famous Gold Rush began. The gold miners wanted clothes that were strong and did not tear easily. In 1853, a man called Leob Strauss left his home in New York and moved to San Francisco, where he started a wholesale business, supplying clothes. Strauss later changed his name from Leob to Levi.

Rivets

A big problem with the miners' clothes were the pockets, which easily tore away from the jeans. A man called Jacob Davis had the idea of using metal rivets (fasteners) to hold the pockets and the jeans together so that they wouldn't tear. Davis wanted to patent his idea, but he didn't have enough money, so in 1872, he wrote to Levi Strauss and offered Strauss a deal if Strauss would pay for the patent. Strauss accepted, and he started making copper-riveted 'waist overalls' (as jeans were called then).

In 1886, Levi sewed a leather label on their jeans. The label showed a picture of a pair of jeans that were being pulled between two horses. This was to advertise how strong Levi jeans were: even two horses could not tear them apart.

The 1930's: Westerns

In the 1930's, Hollywood made lots of western movies. Cowboys - who often wore jeans in the movies-became very popular. Many Americans who lived in the eastern states went for vacations on 'dude ranches' and took pairs of denim 'waist overalls' back east with them when they went home.

The 1940's: World War II

Fewer jeans were made during the time of World War 2, but 'waist overalls' were introduced to the world by American sailors, who sometimes wore them when they were off duty. (The U.S. Navy Enlisted Work Uniform is made of blue Denim) After the war, Levi began to sell their clothes outside the American West. Rival companies, like Wrangler and Lee, began to compete with Levi for a share of this new market.

The 1950's: Rebels

In the 1950's, denim became popular with young people. It was the symbol of the teenage rebel in TV programmes and movies (like James Dean in the 1955 movie Rebel Without a Cause). Some schools in the USA banned students from wearing denim. Teenagers called the waist overalls 'jean pants' - and the name stayed.

The 1960's: Hippies & the Cold War

In the 1960's many, many university and college students wore jeans. Different styles of jeans were made, to match the 60's fashions: embroidered jeans, painted jeans, psychedelic jeans...

In many non-western countries, jeans became a symbol of 'Western decadence' and were very hard to get. US companies said that they often received letters from people all around the world asking them to send the writer a pair of jeans

The 1970's: Sweatshops

As regulations on world trade became more relaxed in the late 1970's, jeans started to be made more and more in sweatshops in countries in the South. Because the workers were paid very little, jeans became cheaper. More people in the countries of the South started wearing jeans.

The 1980's: Designer Jeans

In the 1980's jeans finally became high fashion clothing, when famous designers started making their own styles of jeans, with their own labels on them. Sales of jeans went up and up

The 1990's: Recession

In the worldwide recession of the 1990's, the sale of jeans has stopped growing ... but has remained constant.

And the 21st century......?

Who knows?

This material was taken from the article, The blue jeans story, in the New Internationalist, June 1998. (Information sources: Encyclopaedia Britannica; No Sweat 1997 Andrew Ross (ed) Verso, London; A History of Denim Lynn Downey.)

Denim is, arguably, the most practical form of clothing there is. It breathes well. It's tough as nails. Simple to clean. It needs no ironing. It looks good paired with almost everything. AND, it looks better the older and more worn it gets.

That's why people wear it.

Jeans are not some new thing just come down the pike. They were a part of "The Golden Era" and their history predates even that by a couple of centuries.

Besides, what goes better with an Hawaiian Shirt than a pair of Levi's?

The Hawaiian Shirt ... yet another product of "The Golden Era." But that's a story for another time.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just about everybody here in the South wears jeans. My dad wears them every day, but he works outside, and there's nothing better than denim for doing work outside.

I only wore jeans during my teenage years, but since I got married, I've taken to wearing more chino-style pants. I only have one pair of jeans now, and I'll go weeks without wearing them.
Once I'm in my intended profession, I'll be able to wear a suit and tie.

Sergei

Gone Home
Hmmmm.... In general I do agree that people have really dumbed down their fashion habits by going with jeans. Especially today's youth with the way they sag their clothes. But on the other hand, I find jeans to be patriotic and captures the American spirit. Belonging to the Wild West Arts Club I do have one foot into the western world. It would be very insulting to say as a generality that those fine folk that attend western charity auctions, dances, formal dinners dressed in their finest boots, buckles, bollo ties, western hats and brilliantly fashioned shirts that their Wrangler jeans look bad. In fact, when appropriately accessorized, those jeans look great and not out of place. Those western guys think nothing of dropping a few thousand dollars on a nice custom hat, and there is nothing wrong wearing a blue blazer, white shirt, bollo tie your $500 Luchese boots with a pair of American blue jeans. When I attended my first WWAC charity auction a few years back, I really felt out of place wearing my suit. In fact, I seemed to be way under dressed with the men wearing their western gear. That sounds strange, but that's something I will never do again.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Sergei
Those western guys think nothing of dropping a few thousand dollars on a nice custom hat, and there is nothing wrong wearing a blue blazer, white shirt, bollo tie your $500 Luchese boots with a pair of American blue jeans.
Down here, if you change out that blue blazer with a tux jacket we call that "Texas Black Tie." That is what 90% of my class wore to the senior prom (but them again, it was a western theme). Of course, yours truly opted for the shiny gold tux jacket.:D

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Sergei
...I find jeans to be patriotic and captures the American spirit.

Just to let you know, Levis' 501's are no longer made in the U.S.A. Now they're made in Guatemala. (Maybe other "offshore" places, too.) That way they can still charge you about the same price for them, but only pay their labor about a 10th what they used to. (Not to mention benefits, Social Security, etc.)

Next time, I'm getting Wranglers. Hopefully they'll still be made in the U.S.

Blue jeans used to be work clothes. You wouldn't put them on and go to town unless you were going to the hardware store, or to the feed store, or to your job where you did physical or mechanical labor. They were about as declasse* as bib overalls are today.

Contrary to what some believe, kids (at least in rural California and Texas) did go to school in their blue jeans in the '40s (and maybe before and after, as well). (Levis' rear pockets used to be riveted at the corners like the front pockets are, but school districts wrote to the company and complained that they were scratching up the finish on school chairs, so Levi quit riveting the back pockets.)

The '50s and '60s changed the role of the blue jean, made it more acceptable under more circumstances.

*There's supposed to be a couple of accent marks over the E's in "declasse," but I don't know how to put them there, or which ones they are. (Accent grave, accent aigu?)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by Marlowe

Blue jeans used to be work clothes. You wouldn't put them on and go to town unless you were going to the hardware store, or to the feed store, or to your job where you did physical or mechanical labor. They were about as declasse* as bib overalls are today.

The '50s and '60s changed the role of the blue jean, made it more acceptable under more circumstances.

[/B]

Well said. I can see blue jeans being worn to a cowboy event like Sergei mentioned, but I hate seeing them in Sir Winston's or the Waldorf Astoria.

I am not suggesting that we should make everyone wear what I think is right. I wouldn't want to be forced to wear blue jeans, sneakers, t-shirts and ball caps with logos on my head to eat at McDonald's, but I would like to go to a place once in a while for a classy dinner without people wearing jeans and sneakers.

Casual has always been around....but it has taking over to the point that you have to go way out of your way to have a classy evening.....and those places are disappearing. Dress codes at restaurants are being ignored if not abandoned all together.

At Sir Winston's they state that gentlemen must wear a jacket. I have seen that ignored many times. It is a shame that class is rare and quickly fleeting......at least in LA.

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by MK
At Sir Winston's they state that gentlemen must wear a jacket. I have seen that ignored many times. It is a shame that class is rare and quickly fleeting......at least in LA.

Try this: When you show up there, suitably attired, simultaneously with another patron whose ideas about sartorial standards are lower than yours, see who gets seated first. (Especially if you're wearing good, expensive shoes.) There seems to be an automatic reaction to defer to a man in a well-made, well-fitting, well-turned-out suit.

I agree that "class" and "breeding" (actually just good grooming and good manners) are fading. And that it's a crying shame.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've often thought it would be nice to open a restaurant, just so I could enforce a dress code. That way, I know there would be a place I would want to patronize.

But then I look at my bank statement...and the dream vanishes.

Brad Bowers

Williamson

New in Town
As is the trend with many these days.......anything goes when it comes to morals, fashion and general respect. At a recent funeral that I attended, I was surprised by the number of men(old and young alike) who were wearing casual attire....polo shirts etc......I was always taught that one should dress according to what the event or situations called for. This was to show respect not just for your personal appearance but out of respect for those around you.
With regards to the jeans, I too own a few pair but only wear them to work around the house. For wear and durability, you can't beat the toughness of denim. I have found that as I have gotten older, they just don't fit and wear as comfortable as they did way back in college.
It seems that the trends and fashion we see today on both young and old alike, is a reflection of what many of the "stars" and "athletes" wear and advertise. There is something to be said of the style and class of the bygone era of the 30's and 40's. Guess why this place is filled with so many with the same thoughts on such things....Enjoyed the thread. Regards,Williamson

Michaelson

One Too Many
I haven't owned a pair of blue jeans since the 70's. On second thought, I've only owned 2 pairs of shorts since that time either! Hummm. I'm probably LLBeans best dress Chino customer. Wish they hadn't eliminated the watchpocket, as I have to have them installed now, durn it..... Regards. Michaelson:mad:

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I wear jeans probably 80% of the time. I like the look and durability of them. They are also inexpensive! (If you avoid those awful designer jeans, that is.) I've been wearing jeans for a couple decades now and they have become a part of my character. Just as my felt hat and leather jacket have. If the hat and leather jacket are symbols of the working man then what better way to compliment the look than with the working man's pants, blue jeans.

I do wear slacks and khakis quite a bit though. Especially to places and occasions that jeans are not appropriate, at least to me. I'm probably the only man in my church that attends service in my Sunday best which includes a tie and my vintage fedora. I look around and see jeans and t-shirts everywhere. Even people wearing their ball caps during the service! But I digress.

What I can not tolerate, it actually angers me, is to see people wandering through town or a store or a restaurant wearing sweat pants and sandals. ARRRGHH! First of all, sweat pants are for exercising or bumming around the house. Not for town. Same goes for baggy, unkept t-shirts. And sandals are for the beach! Put on some friggn' shoes! Oh, and shorts in the dead of winter look retarded!

Okay, I better stop that rant or it could get out of control.

Let me ask you this, does it ruin your dinner experience to attend a nice resaurant, well dressed while everyone else around you is dressed down? It does for me. Back in March I took my wife out for her birthday to a very nice and expensive resaurant. She, as always, was absolutely gorgeous in a beautiful dress and shall. I was wearing my suit and hat. We get seated and I look around and see that just about everyone is dressed like they're sitting at home on their couch. It's obnoxious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR