Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential to the War Effort- an Impression?

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang,

This might seem odd but since I'm getting into the Home Front genre of collecting and living-history, I'm trying to bring as much "real" me into the impression as possible and take advantage of the rich history of the organization for which I work.

For the last 14 years, I've worked as a Gov't Contractor at Aberdeen Proving Ground; specifically the Automotive testing area which under a different name tested every tank and armored vehicle standardized by the Army. I manage our inventory of "instrumention" which our techs mount on vehicles to record various tests and which ultimately "pass" or "fail" a vehicle's perfromance.

I have the previledge of working with guys whose fathers, mothers and grandfathers and grandmothers worked here during WW2 (and earlier). APG is- and has been- THE major employeer in Harford County, MD since 1918/19

There is a TON of history here as well as people that lived it. An older retired friend was a "Boss" of this same organization in 1980s and 1990s and his father worked here as an engineer here in WW2. My barber (who is retired Gov't) worked at APG in the 60s. I even worked with a man nick-named "Golf Ball" Jones. Mr. Jones was 18 and serving on the USS Missouri when the Armistice with Japan was signed. He proudly showed my a little certificate with Rising Sun stating that "Seaman Jones was present at the signing, etc..." or something like that- it was 10+ years ago so I forget... In fact, sections of the current "land" that APG resides was purchased from the Halsted family which now reside up in Delta, Pa- two Halsteds work with me today!

Anyways... While most men went to the military, many were considered essential to the war effort. Most men in technical jobs stayed here (APG), while many (but not all) driver and maintenance men were drafted.

So I'm developing a specific impression around who I'd possibly be in WW2. A war worker whose job was considered essential at APG/Maryland. I'm researching (as best I can) how people commutted to work her for instance. One interesting detail is the fabled "doodle-bug" train, which was still rotting away about 6 years ago. It carried workers from parking in the town of Aberdeen to various places on APG proper. Not everyone drove directly to where they worked or wanted to go and it needless help alleviate the burden of gas-rationing on workers to some degree.

So is anyone out there doing something similar?? Have any advice??? Interested in taking part???

Clint

Eyemo

Practically Family
I recently put on a display of WW2 artifacts...and had a dummy dressed as civilian trials worker at a local Proof and Experimental establishment (Pendine, South Wales,UK) Got some pics somwhere...will post them when I find them.:)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well Chris several members of The Lounge here are also members of "Kilroy's Homefront Commandos" . Our ww2 impression is centered around Civil Defense. But we have OPA agents and war workers in our ranks too. We are in the MD/PA area. I would love to see and hear more as you develop your impression.

Matt

Eyemo

Practically Family
Here you go...Proof and Experimental Establishment worker South Wales UK 1940

036-3.jpg

p51

One Too Many
I spent a lot of time at APG, toured there twice, went there for CTLT through Army ROTC then as a LT through Ordnance Officer Basic Course. I loved the place, even went back for a final visit this past summer when we were there for the first time since I was there in 1998. I'll miss the place and know I'll never see it that way again. It was sad to leave the post for the very last time in my life. We probably bumped into each other at the Burger King or places right off post.
As for Civilian stuff, I only have correspondent stuff but am building my "non-combatant" uniform collection, found this recently:
AAD6.jpg

44C1.jpg

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the interest guys!

P51 we probably were in BK or elsewhere in Aberdeen at the same time at least once. Or the old "Patio" that went out of business- had the best milkshakes!!!

I have about 10 issues of the APG "Groundhog" magazine published during the war. Borrowed from Mr. Gross, whose father is in the 1944 issue. There are many images of folks wearing various pins which could denote which organization, shift, test-area, etc. But other than pins, there was no type of uniform that I've seen. So I can pretty much do what I want!

Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80