Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etiquette of attending WWII events in vintage?

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
Later this summer there will be a "World War II weekend" at Battleship Cove in Fall River Massachusetts. According to the description below, there will be living history people present. I am not a member of any reenactment group but was thinking it might be fun to attend in a summer dress made from a 1940s pattern. I would not be pretending to play any sort of "role." Am I likely to cause offense or confusion?

Event description below, taken from http://www.battleshipcove.com/calendar.asp :

August 24-25, 2013 - WORLD WAR II WEEKEND AT BATTLESHIP COVE

History comes alive when over 50 World War II Allied and Axis living historians arrive at Battleship Cove. See an exciting display of equipment, artillery, and vehicles. Talk with veterans and relive the history of that important time. Special programs scheduled throughout the day are FREE with paid admission. A history event for the entire family. Open 9AM—5 PM. Rain or shine.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Seems to me these events draw the free lance living historian/reenactor/enthusiast....everyone loves a lady in a 40s summer dress...
enjoy the show...post some pictures afterwards

Jeff Londerée

New in Town
Although I was not the member of a group, I used to go to WWII reenactments and living history events dressed as a war photographer. Everyone was very welcoming and appreciated my addition to the event. I should think you will be well received.

Have fun!

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice, fellas. Naturally, the Battleship Cove event is the same weekend as a vintage car and plane show in MA. (The "first edition" of the Great New England Wings and Wheels will have static planes. It is a replacement for the previous military air show which fell prey to sequester budget cuts.) So, I haven't entirely decided which event to attend but will post pictures if I get anything interesting.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't think there's much chance of you being subjected to a "You're not entitled to that ribbon!" type inspection. Since you're a Lounger I would fully expect you'll be crowned Queen of the Hop, or something! Anyhow, I'll bet you get lots of compliments. You could do like actors do, and imagine yourself a little backstory. Why not?

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
From experience you might get them interacting with you as if you are a fellow re-enactor (or Spiv in my case) but other than that I suspect that they will only be grateful that you came and made the effort.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I am also rather sure that you will be quite appreciated and have a grand time. As alluded to above, the only possible faux pas I can imagine would be for some individual to show up in a replica military uniform that they were not authorized to wear, outside the license extended to organized groups. I'm not even sure that would be a problem, but the possibility would exist.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have been well recieved at events with my new homefront interpretation. In my military interpretations I always felt it adds a lot to an event to have folks in period civilian clothing.

I am sure you will get along with everyone very well. You don't need to play a role but if you know the type of person that would have been likely to wear clothing like what you wear you will have pretty much a developed interpretation.

You can have a lot of fun with patriotic and sweetheart jewelry. I often wear a son in service tie tac and defense volunteer lapel pins.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I think Kiwilrdg summed it up. In the end its a period event. Have some fun.
I have been well recieved at events with my new homefront interpretation. In my military interpretations I always felt it adds a lot to an event to have folks in period civilian clothing.

I am sure you will get along with everyone very well. You don't need to play a role but if you know the type of person that would have been likely to wear clothing like what you wear you will have pretty much a developed interpretation.

You can have a lot of fun with patriotic and sweetheart jewelry. I often wear a son in service tie tac and defense volunteer lapel pins.

rjb1

Practically Family
Unless people/reenactors there are totally different from the sort we have here, you will be welcomed with open arms (perhaps literally - be cautious about overly amorous reenactors).

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Go, and have a ball! I also do civilian and there is not a single event I go to where they are not delighted to have a civilian, esp. a woman, show up.

Even at military events it is really critical to have the civilian/homefront experienced represented. Modern girls are esp. interested in the dress, accessories, shoes, etc. you will wear, so maybe have some general info or facts handy and know about what you are wearing. They need to know about what role women played in winning the war, so don't be afraid to speak up. There is lots of good info in the Powder room section on women's impressions.

Have fun!

Mary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner