Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Even I am having a hard time believing

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
This morning my lovely wife came to me with newspaper in hand. She had found a estate sale just a few blocks away. Seems it was a Dr. and there were numerous treasures listed including vintage clothes. I have yet to find much at estate sales in recent years that I was interested in, and never have found a hat, other than ladies. Well we went to take a look, I covered the main floor, the basement, the second floor found nothing. I went up to the attic and saw a lady with about 15 ladies hats. I asked her if she had seen any men’s hats, she said no, but would keep an eye open. I soon gave up and found a place to sit and wait on my wife to return with her treasures. I saw a man with a Dobbs hat box and figured he had what little there was. I continued to wait and a few minutes later my wife returned empty handed. About that time I looked towards the door an there was the Dobbs box. Seems the first man changed his mind. I asked the lady in charge about it and was told he declined and if I was interested to go ahead. I opened the box and there were two hats, on top a Mallory, and underneath a Royal Deluxe Stetson Vogue, my size no less, and in pristine condition. At this point excitement had taken over, I did not want to give myself away, so I very cooly asked about the price. By the way, the Dobbs box is in excellent condition and is one of the scenic styled box’s. Anyway, she said, it is priced on the box. Sure enough written in pencil, on the original sales ticked was the price. Are you ready for this?

I was prepared to pay $50.00 as a starting point and negotiate up if I had too. Well she was in no mood to haggle as I was watching other people approach her, she had priced it, and that was what she wanted. The tension is building, isn’t it? I did say the hat has not a blemish, the only thing that would separate it from new old stock, is it does have the Dr.s name stamped in it. Well I guess I better let you off the hook. There it was THE PRICE, time to put up or shut up. Can you believe that this lady was asking, $15.00 and would not budge on her price. I just about broke my arm pulling my wallet out. I am still confused why the fella that had it first , walked away. My wife says it is just my day and the lord above must have intended me to have it. Photos to be posted soon, I need help in dating the Stetson and info on the style etc... Hopefully JP will lend a hand

Sounds like a good deal to me :eusa_clap . I have a similar story (a little something about a Stratoliner, a Whippet, and a Playboy all in my size) that i pop out at any opportunity but will resist this time .

I've never seen a royal stetson vogue. Will be interested to see yours.

I haven't had such local luck for a while.

bk

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Here it is

MVC-427F.jpg

MVC-428F.jpg

MVC-429F.jpg

MVC-431F.jpg

MVC-430F.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
That Stetson is STUNNING!!! Looks like it has never been worn, and the colors are fresh - it must never have been exposed to sunlight.

OUTstanding find!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good deal!:) Someone got some cash and someone got some hats. You know that the leftovers of the sale could have ended up in the trash dumpster. It has happened before and nobody would have benefited.:(

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful purchases. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap They look fantastic!

And it is SSOOOO NICE not to see an ebay link. I'm glad you found these fine specimens someplace other than your computer screen. More :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap for finding things in the real world.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I've never seen or heard of the Stetson Vogue before this thread...but now that I have, I want one that looks just like yours...really, really bad! ;)

What a terrific find!! Congratulations, Bud!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That Stetson is marvelous! If you were a stinker you could put it on the 'Bay and multiply that price by 10. No way, though, that's definitely a keeper.

Interesting thing on the liner, "Dr. M.C." Not "Hammer" I'm guessing. lol

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
Interesting thing on the liner, "Dr. M.C." Not "Hammer" I'm guessing. lol
Nope, not Hammer, it's Carlisle, he was a pediatrician here in Waco, for decades. Seems he was president of the Lions Club and numerous social clubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou