Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever go on a vintage hiatus?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I am not vintage enough to need a hiatus.

In retrospect,I feel the same as Miss Neecerie.In all honesty,I am more at the point in my life where I "go on a modern hiatus".

Ada Veen

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
As a college student I definitely have to take breaks. Pretty much the only constants are doing my hair vintage and wearing red lipstick, both of which I stop doing around midterms and finals where sleep is more important to me than how I look.

I feel weird and self-conscious when I do it too much though. I hate how my hair looks straight, it's way too long, but it's just the right length when curled. So I always feel really awkward when it's straight.

I don't wear vintage day to day, just 'for best', when I go out - if I have a day shoppping, or go to a party. Unlike pigeontoe, my biggest issue is the hair. I have super straight hair that really resists a curl. I can spend all day with it pinned up, tons of setting lotion and hairspray, and it just falls out, I'm really fighting a losing battle. On top of this, curly hair doesn't really suit me, and my boyfriend gets all stressed out, like "why do you spend ages curling your hair so you look ugly every time we are going to see people?" :) :)

Now, I don't think I look ugly, but sometimes a little voice goes "why do pull my hair out, and spend hours trying to make it curl? So it looks authentically vintage? I'm usually the only person dressed vintage, who cares but me?" Thing is, I can't stop though...I've managed to hard wire it in now lol

Marty M.

Vendor
A little Old, and a little New.

I think that's it's all about someones personal style. I like when I see pictures posted on the Lounge when someone has taken a vintage piece and mixed it with a new piece and blends the look harmoniously together. My pal Douglas (of Fedora Lounge fame) does this all the time. Or when someone wears a vintage outfit but for some reason they have a personal style that takes the focus off the "Vintage" and and on to their own personal style. Vintage Betty does this masterfully.
Since I have a Men's Haberdashery, I can't wear very much that's Vintage. I get my Vintage fix by having clothes made for me off of vintage patterns and vintage looking fabrics. I can also where vintage accessories to tie the look together. This has turned into my personal style.
Marty Mathis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot