Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever seen AN6552 M442 or G1 with sheepskin D1 or B3 type collar like in this photo?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im contemplating having something like this made after seeing Tom Clancy on one of his book covers several years ago. After losing weight, most of my old jackets no longer fit (Aero excluded). I was thinking of having Aero make me an An6552 or M442a, but with a sheepskin collar either this year or next summer.

Tom_Clancy_Jacket.JPG

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Its the first and last time Ive seen anything like it, so Im assuming its a custom made jacket? If its a stock type jacket, Id be interested in knowing who makes or made it. I know its not historically accurate or mil repro due to the hand warmer pockets, and thats ok, because I dont really care about historical accuracy. Although Im sort of surprised that Tom Clancy didnt!

Thanks!

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
He seems to be keeping his hands in side-entry pockets, and the jacket lacks a storm flap...

so I'm guessing it's not a G1 or M422, and not military issue:

am I wrong?

PS
Looking better, I noticed that the jacket has an "A2 style" external flap, the zipper starts higher than the waistband etc.:
so to me it looks in the line of a civilian, generically military inspired jacket like a Schott

Ciao!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Italian-wiseguy said:
He seems to be keeping his hands in side-entry pockets, and the jacket lacks a storm flap...

so I'm guessing it's not a G1 or M422, and not military issue:

am I wrong?

Im sure its not military issue. However, since he always wears militaria in his book cover photos, I did expect that it was a stock repro with added hand pockets, or a custom repro with those options. Lord knows, he has the money to have whatever he wants made.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Ops, I didn't read you already stated that.
Sorry.

Anyway, to me it doesn't look like he just added side entries: the jacket as a whole seems too much different from a military issue to be a real repro, for what I know, so I guess he bought simply what he liked, or had it made.
It surely sends a "military impression" as well.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Italian-wiseguy said:
It surely sends a "military impression" as well.

Its just weird that he would have a flight suit with what looks to a reference to the medal of honor reference (blue / white stars) and be wearing a non repro jacket. It seems unlike him. On the flip side, Ive never seen any type of repro with that collar.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Free Jacket

I would be willing to bet he didn't pay a penny for that jacket! It is common for celebrities to get free stuff, jackets, watches, even Harley Davidson, back when every one else had to wait a year or more! That look like a jacket Sporty Aviation sold years ago. Damn ugly.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
I would be willing to bet he didn't pay a penny for that jacket! It is common for celebrities to get free stuff, jackets, watches, even Harley Davidson, back when every one else had to wait a year or more! That look like a jacket Sporty Aviation sold years ago. Damn ugly.

Thats entirely possible, Im not really concerned with the price he may or may not have paid, I just want to know who makes such a jacket (if anyone). I think it looks awesome, but I am a bit unorthodox in my jackets.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just a wild guesse. It looks like the jacket is made of sheepskin - that might point in the direction of Cockpit/Avirex.
They were known for not taking the mil.specs very seriously and made larger more roomier jackets too. With sideentry pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn