Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lordy it's getting dark around here.....back I go to the Bobby-pin storage thread.......

Hey! That's a good thread! Do you really want future generations to be finding bobby pins all over??? Shouldn't the ladies use responsible bobby pin storage? ;)

I'm still afraid of where all my seam rippers have gone... and when and how I'll accidently find them.

Hey! That's a good thread! Do you really want future generations to be finding bobby pins all over??? Shouldn't the ladies use responsible bobby pin storage? ;)

I'm still afraid of where all my seam rippers have gone... and when and how I'll accidently find them.

I remember my mom keeping them in a Sucrets cough drops tin -- back when they were tin.

rue

You crack me up lol

I remember my mom keeping them in a Sucrets cough drops tin -- back when they were tin.
They're not made of tin anymore??

rue

Yeah... it seems like an epidemic here lately.

You know the funny thing is, some people (and in fact a long time member) want to make the FL better and back to the way it was but are getting their threads shut down with no real explanation.

When I joined this site I read ALL of the back threads (I'm not even kidding) and people used to have fun here, which is part of the reason I joined. Now it seems people are taking themselves way too seriously and won't allow for any nonsense. What they don't realize is that, like me, it's part of the reason people join. Yes, they come here to learn, like I did, but they also come here to have fun and become part of a group.

It's not just about hats.
It's not just about vintage.
It's not just a place to learn.

It's a community and it's a family that have a common bond.

Maybe sometimes people get carried away and maybe they say things the people in charge don't like, but the whole thread doesn't have to be erased.... you can just erase posts.

I'm seriously irritated with this whole high school game of I don't like so and so and he or she shouldn't do this or that. And yes, I get that the threads should be monitored and I get it most of the time when threads are shut down, but lately there's a whole mob mentality and the pitch forks are showing.

I respect all of the bartenders for the job they do because I know it's tough, but I think that sometimes they need to remember that this is a family and we do need to stick together.

Just my two cents.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think I may have gotten the first horse meat thread shut down, which was not my intention. It was also not my intention to incite things other than to add to the discussion about the "cultural acceptability" of different kinds of meat. I wasn't trolling.

I've held the view I posted since I was in high school (based upon my experience in several different arenas). It's one of my major beliefs about responsibility and wastefulness and human duties towards other beings. I would have preferred my post be removed rather than the thread shut down.

I do think that some members mainly look at this forum as a place to gather info about specific interests with more formal relationships within those areas. When their thread drifts into something else..it can become distracting to them...while others prefer a more homey atmosphere. Perhaps that should be more limited to my threads..or your threads..or mainly a few threads where a continuous friendly back and forth may not make anyone unhappy. Just a thought.....

rue

I do think that some members mainly look at this forum as a place to gather info about specific interests with more formal relationships within those areas. When their thread drifts into something else..it can become distracting to them...while others prefer a more homey atmosphere. Perhaps that should be more limited to my threads..or your threads..or mainly a few threads where a continuous friendly back and forth may not make anyone unhappy. Just a thought.....

I understand that and although I read quite a few threads about suits and hats and whatnot.... I rarely if ever post on them, because I know they really don't like it. I have noticed it's okay for them to talk about random things that are off topic and take pictures of girls in bars and veer off with that, but it doesn't bother me, because we do the same in the girl threads... well except for the girls in the bar stuff lol. The problem I see exists in the observation bar threads where it says specifically "The place where nobody tries to put the bite on you. Pull up a seat, relax and and talk about the finer things in life. Just mind your P's & Q's. Come on in. Everybody here is just like you...only more so.". I'm not even touching the whole temp thread fiasco a few months back.

I get it when people get out of control talking about inappropriate things and they should be minding their Ps &Qs and those people should be reprimanded (not banned unless they continue to do so) and they should have those posts removed. But to erase entire threads because of a few sour apples .... well, that rubs me the wrong way. I could go on about the threads I'm talking about, but I will step on toes that I don't want to.

I love being here and I love being a part of this, so I don't bitch too often, but when I see people leaving..... then I feel I need to say something.

edited to add.... I'm not exactly in the best place in my life right now, so the Lounge is a place I can escape to and I know for a fact it's the same for others here. When you have enough drama in your own life you really don't want to go to a place that has more. I think laughter is a great medicine and for the most part that's all we're doing..... laughing and having a bit of fun.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I'm not counted out yet... ;)

(I was actually tempted to post a link here to Elton John's 'I'm Still Standing' but after a brief review of the original 80's video I decided to chicken out...)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner