Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy early 4th of July, US Loungers!

Strider

One of the Regulars
For our great nation's 230th birthday, the U.S.A. can use some very special birthday presents. These are presents all of us can give: polite words to others. Pleasant words help us get along with one another. What better present could we give on July 4th, and throughout every year? Here are 100 polte things to say. I'm sure the founding fathers and Uncle Sam would like them!

1.) You look great.
2.) You are my friend.
3.) May I help?
4.) Do you want to play?
5.) You did a good job.
6.) I love you.
7.) You make me smile.
8.) You're welcome.
9.) Thank you.
10.) That was fun.
11.) Do you have any errands that need doing?
12.) You are a good sport.
13.) That was a good try.
14.) Have a good day.
15.) What would I do without your help?
16.) You did that so much better.
17.) Excuse me.
18.) It's my treat.
19.) Good morning.
20.) How are you doing?
21.) I'm sorry.
22.) That's a wonderful idea.
23.) Best wishes.
24.) I'll share my things.
25.) Way to go!
26.) You are right.
27.) I like you.
28.) How is your family?
29.) Pleased to meet you.
30.) What a nice thing to say!
31.) Keep in touch.
32.) I understand.
33.) What do you think?
34.) How was your day?
35.) I'll try harder.
36.) You are so thoughtful.
37.) What would you like to do?
38.) I'll help you find it.
39.) Please join us.
40.) We have enough for everyone.
41.) You are my hero.
42.) You make me laugh.
43.) You can count on me.
44.) Hello!
45.) I'd be happy to.
46.) You can go before me.
47.) I'll be quiet.
48.) We make a good team.
49.) We can go together.
50.) Are you alright?

51.) Call me anytime.
52.) I'll get it for you.
53.) Good afternoon!
54.) Don't worry.
55.) I'd like to hear what you have to say.
56.) You have good ideas.
57.) Thanks for including me.
58.) You are easy to talk to.
59.) What a beautiful day!
60.) Take your time.
61.) You're #1!
62.) You are very generous.
63.) Tell me about it.
64.) You're exactly right.
65.) I miss you.
66.) I'll wait for you.
67.) Have a good time!
68.) Let's invite others to join us.
69.) I trust you.
70.) That is kind ofyou.
71.) Congratulations!
72.) I'm proud of you.
73.) Happy birthday!
74.) Welcome!
75.) Do you want to talk about it?
76.) You are very special.
77.) Everyone asks about you.
78.) How do you feel?
79.) Let me give you a compliment.
80.) I think that's great!
81.) I'm glad you called.
82.) Would you like some?
83.) We can work it out.
84.) What's your name?
85.) What a great smile you have.
86.) Have fun.
87.) Can I get you anything?
88.) I care about you.
89.) You make me feel special.
90.) I hate to see you go.
91.) I had a wonderful time.
92.) I can do that for you.
93.) This is for you.
94.) I appreciate it.
95.) Take care!
96.) You are very talented.
97.) I like being with you.
98.) I appreciate your kindness.
99.) Be careful.
100.) We'll have fun together.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
"One hundred and eighty-one years ago our forefathers started a revolution that still goes on." - Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, April 19, 1956.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I can imagine the television commericials: "Has anyone tread on you today? You might be entitled to monetary compensation. Call the Tread Law Team at 1-800-TREADLAW."

Story

I'll Lock Up
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

The original 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence knew that if the Revolution failed, or if they were captured, all their worldly possessions would be stripped from them and they would be executed. The punishment for treason against the Crown in those days was extreme. Just five years prior, six men were executed for such at Hillsborough, North Carolina. Among them was Benjamin Merrill, who was a Captain of Militia in Rowan County. His sentence read:

“I must now close my afflicting duty, by pronouncing upon you the awful Sentence of the Law; which is, That you Benjamin Merrill, be carried to the Place from whence you came, that you be drawn from thence to the Place of Execution, where you are to be hanged by the Neck; that you be cut down while you are yet alive, that your Bowels be taken out and burnt before your Face, that your Head be cut off, your Body divided into Four Quarters, and this to be at his Majesty’s Disposal; and the Lord have Mercy on your Soul.”

And to think, some present-day Americans couldn't even be bothered to vote.

What would you put on the line? What are you doing to keep the Spirit in which our country was born alive?

Strider

One of the Regulars
Story said:
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

The original 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence knew that if the Revolution failed, or if they were captured, all their worldly possessions would be stripped from them and they would be executed. The punishment for treason against the Crown in those days was extreme.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Story said:
Just five years prior, six men were executed for such at Hillsborough, North Carolina. Among them was Benjamin Merrill, who was a Captain of Militia in Rowan County. His sentence read:

“I must now close my afflicting duty, by pronouncing upon you the awful Sentence of the Law; which is, That you Benjamin Merrill, be carried to the Place from whence you came, that you be drawn from thence to the Place of Execution, where you are to be hanged by the Neck; that you be cut down while you are yet alive, that your Bowels be taken out and burnt before your Face, that your Head be cut off, your Body divided into Four Quarters, and this to be at his Majesty’s Disposal; and the Lord have Mercy on your Soul.”

And to think, some present-day Americans couldn't even be bothered to vote.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Story said:
What are you doing to keep the Spirit in which our country was born alive?

This country was started on rebellion. Free thinking, challenging the status quo, and defying conventional thinking in spite of the fact that those who did it knew they would be persecuted for doing such. Lately, I've been voicing opinions that some people don't like, that go against the status quo. I've been told that the way I've been voicing my "Anti-American" opinions is "costing me friends".

I can't tell you how much this disappoints me. So many Americans forget that the founding fathers would have been executed for extreme high treason if they had been caught saying anything against the crown, much less doing what they were actually doing.

These days, if you say anything bad about the government or the President, you are immediately looked at as a left wing extremist kook who is aiding the terrorists with his/her attitude.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only un-patriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt, U.S. President #26

One of the things that makes this country great is the constitutional right to freedom of speech, as well as the constitutional guarantee to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Someone once said that freedom of speech is never in question when no one has an axe to grind. Pretty much, these days, every American believes in freedom of speech, until you say something that they don't like or don't agree with.

I remember the principles this country was founded on. It feels more and more like many people want to follow and look fondly upon these principles, until they become too inconvinient for those people.

I love this country and what it was founded on. Just because I don't like the direction it's going doesn't make me stupid, a jerk, or crazy. Doesn't mean I have any less right to voice my opinions than you do. Things like that are what this country was founded on. The last time I checked, an Eagle needs both its right AND left wings in order to soar.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Happy 4th, folks, and remember that the day we suppress disagreement in this country is the day that the constitution and freedom die.

Strider beat me to it, because he used the quote I was going to share, but it's worth repeating. Here is the full quotation from Teddy Roosevelt in 1918 - and it's a quote that many Americans need to read and contemplate:

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

"Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star", 149
May 7, 1918

I just wish he had said "The President, Congress and the Senate...." because it's equally true of all elected officials.

Happy 4th to my Democrat, Republican, Independent and other friends!

Strider

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
Happy 4th, folks, and remember that the day we suppress disagreement in this country is the day that the constitution and freedom die.

Pilgrim said:
Happy 4th to my Democrat, Republican, Independent and other friends!

:eusa_clap :arated:

Shimmy Sally

4thJuly.JPG

1asp080.gif

Story

I'll Lock Up
Let's hope it doesn't take an Alien attack...

id4.lrg.jpg

to pull us all together again. ;)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Happy 4th.

Gentlemen,
To You who have served our Country so gallantly, giving of life and limb,putting your very being on the line so that others may enjoy the ''freedoms'' to enjoy life as it should be, I salute you! As a whole, you are 'givers'', and our Holy-Spirit loves His ''givers''. And...any Honor that this writer received while serving His Country, was from serving with You! I shall remember you as I salute Old-Glory when She passes by this Holiday season.
HAPPY 4TH BROTHERS.......RESPECTFULLY,

Sharpey...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner