Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
He wasn't banned. He just feels he has been wronged and that he isn't welcome. I don't blame him. I left for a long time, because I felt that everyone here was looking down their noses at me, sans a few, who know who they are. I came back because I missed them and stopped giving a damn about what some people think lol

Exactly what I think. He was more or less the spokesman for this place and really kept a lot of the conversation alive around here.

Thanks Tom! I almost quit when you stopped posting, glad you're back! Of course, you never have to worry about me looking down on you, since I am only 5'10" and would need a big ladder to do that! :D

He wasn't banned. He just feels he has been wronged and that he isn't welcome. I don't blame him. I left for a long time, because I felt that everyone here was looking down their noses at me...
I had a similar experience when I first joined The Lounge. Nothing was ever directed at me specifically, but there seemed to be what I call a "dressier than thou" attitude present in a lot of posts. I have a very low tolerance for snobbery, so it made The Lounge a less-than-pleasurable place for me to spend my time and I'd stay away for a while. Eventually I'd come back and it was fun, then the snobbery would start up again and I'd have to take another break. This went on for a while, and then the snobbery was gone so I stayed. In all fairness to the members here, the "snobbery" was probably only my perception and/or interpretation of the things that were posted, but it did suck the fun out of The Lounge for me.

Anyway, I don't know the specifics behind James' departure, but I do hope he comes back to visit someday.

Sorry, if I appeared a little snobby, but I like the combination of classic flatcaps with a nice warming scarf, that's all. I am not going around with a scarf in summerly weather. With the classic flatcaps I just like the british or french (?) touch. The great hats are more the summer sun-accessories, to me.:eek:

That's kind of what happened for me, too. I like to dress nice for the right occasion, but the right occasion seldom arises. I tried to be fairly casual, and just do a sport jacket/open collar shirt/slacks/cowboy boots thing for a wedding last weekend and I was STILL overdressed compared to 90% of people there.

Most of the time, dressy doesn't work for me. There's no need for it while working on a house, or on cars, or working in a factory. That's 3/4 of my life right there lol

I had a similar experience when I first joined The Lounge. Nothing was ever directed at me specifically, but there seemed to be what I call a "dressier than thou" attitude present in a lot of posts. I have a very low tolerance for snobbery, so it made The Lounge a less-than-pleasurable place for me to spend my time and I'd stay away for a while. Eventually I'd come back and it was fun, then the snobbery would start up again and I'd have to take another break. This went on for a while, and then the snobbery was gone so I stayed. In all fairness to the members here, the "snobbery" was probably only my perception and/or interpretation of the things that were posted, but it did suck the fun out of The Lounge for me.

Anyway, I don't know the specifics behind James' departure, but I do hope he comes back to visit someday.

Wow! I'm surprised that would be "the straw" for anybody lol
You wouldn't look down on anyone here, anyhow, and I know that! Most of us that end up over here are the type of people the "dressier than thous" wish would just go away.

Thanks Tom! I almost quit when you stopped posting, glad you're back! Of course, you never have to worry about me looking down on you, since I am only 5'10" and would need a big ladder to do that! :D

Dressing up for me is a nice shirt and polishing my boots. I spent too many years in blue polyester and wearing the C&T m'er uniform when they put me in a job I didn't ask for. I do have some dress clothes but wearing them, it is more of a 'have to' than a 'get to.'

...Most of the time, dressy doesn't work for me. There's no need for it while working on a house, or on cars, or working in a factory. That's 3/4 of my life right there lol...
Same here. I've had a couple of jobs where I had to wear an actual uniform, but I've never had a job where I was required to wear so much as a dress shirt and slacks, let alone a suit and tie.

But by "dressier than thou" what I meant was really more along the lines of a prevalent attitude, an open disdain for anyone who didn't wear at least what's come to be known as "dress casual" every day regardless of whether they were going to the office or making a quick trip to the grocery store. When the occasion calls for it I'll dress up, but I've always been a casual guy and I just don't see the need to wear my "Sunday best" if I'm only going to the post office to mail a letter. If that makes me a "slob", so be it.

That being said, again, it may have only been my interpretation of the posts I read at that time. And, admittedly, I've been somewhat guilty of doing that myself--expressing my lack of understanding of those who wear pajamas and house slippers to a shopping mall or a restaurant, for example. But it did make me feel unwelcome, as if I'd somehow walked into a party where I didn't belong, so I just stayed away. I don't know if The Lounge has changed or if I've changed since then (or both), but I haven't felt that attitude for a long time now.

I appreciate that some people care enough about certain "vintage" matters to research them at some significant length and then share that knowledge with the rest of us, gratis.

Me, I know a thing or two about hats, but I'll leave to others the minutiae of, say, dating vintage Cavanaghs by tip-liner graphics. I respect their effort, though, and again, I appreciate it. The info is there for the taking, thanks to their work.

I wouldn't wear a stingy-brim tapered crown wool-bodied Goorin Bros hat, and I sure as sunrise wouldn't buy one marked down 75 percent, let alone at retail. But I'm not going to ridicule those who do.

I'd like to have some of those super-spendy blue jeans that are as close to the jeans you could buy at a country store back in 1946 as you'll find these days. And I'd like to have a closet full of thousand-dollar leather jackets. I truly understand why people like that stuff, and I don't doubt for a second that such things are superior in meaningful ways.

But anyone looking down his nose at me for wearing the Wrangler jeans I get for 20-some bucks at Target and a low-end goatskin A-2 jacket is a person who has my pity, for anyone whose sense of himself is so superficial as that is, at base, an insecure person.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
About the only time I can recall feeling like what has been mention previously,
was when I was invited to a very elite country club
by a friend to play a doubles tennis match.
And it wasn’t what I was wearing.
Other members were curious as to my status, income & so on.
But on the court I was equal...well...actually I was better with my shot making.
So I wiped them out in straight sets.
They wanted me to come back...but I declined.
I didn’t like the snobby attitudes & the only reason I was invited back
was because I’m good at tennis. :cool:

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I only had a run in with one member, who called me Child. I was polite with my response and he stopped. I had to laugh, since I am probably his age or older! I joke with a friend of mine who is 83 now, that the only reason I hang out with him is, he's the only one who calls me kid these days!

My current job calls for a white, snap-button work shirt with my name on it, and blue dickies. I'm glad to have a uniform that's professionally cleaned. Saves my washer and dryer.

When I worked in retail, I was department manager, in Electronics. A professional look was encouraged, so I always wore a dress shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. It was nice to be able to dress well, but my job in uniform pays 10 bucks more an hour lol Life is about choices!

Same here. I've had a couple of jobs where I had to wear an actual uniform, but I've never had a job where I was required to wear so much as a dress shirt and slacks, let alone a suit and tie.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My first career in retail for 20 years required wearing suits which I enjoyed.

My second was in news journalism lugging a camera in levis & polo shirts.

Next I went into tennis.... mostly shorts,warm-ups & nike.

I recently attended a funeral & I dressed for the occasion....except,

my tie tried to choke me & my suit kept itching to get off me while
my beautiful brogans conspired to make it tough on my dogs.

Now a days, my body will allow me to wear old soft cotton denims & khakis
& in the winter, I wear my soft bomber jacket minus all the patches.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
30kuhp0.png

:cheers1:

My current job calls for a white, snap-button work shirt with my name on it, and blue dickies. I'm glad to have a uniform that's professionally cleaned. Saves my washer and dryer.

When I worked in retail, I was department manager, in Electronics. A professional look was encouraged, so I always wore a dress shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. It was nice to be able to dress well, but my job in uniform pays 10 bucks more an hour lol Life is about choices!

:p:D

[video=youtube;vS7bpVsNQ9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS7bpVsNQ9M[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran