Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

We occasionally get characters around here who profess complete disregard for what anybody else thinks of them. You know, self-styled autonomous, sovereign spirits.

But surely the gentlemen protest too much. After all, if people really had no care for what others think, the matter would never be broached.

Human societies couldn't function without our taking into consideration the interests of others. This is not to say that every person's views on every matter are the equal to any other person's. Some people don't know what they're talking about, and some people are ill-mannered. Still, a person who offers that he doesn't care what other people think of him is either delusional, sociopathic, unintelligent, or lying. Or some combination thereof.

Last edited:
...Still, a person who offers that he doesn't care what other people think of him is either delusional, sociopathic, unintelligent, or lying. Or some combination thereof.
Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but:

1. Delusional. I could be, I suppose.
2. Sociopathic. Not by most definitions. Not yet, anyway.
3. Unintelligent. Not according to the grades I got in school, or comments I've occasionally received from people who know me.
4. Lying. Not without proof. :D

But seriously, I'd say I'd care more about the opinions of people who harbor negative thoughts about me, i.e. if I found out someone believed I was a thief, or a rapist, or a pedophile, or abused my wife, or any other personal traits that I believe are truly heinous. So in that regard, you're absolutely right. But if someone thinks I dress poorly, or wear my hair too long, or drive the wrong vehicle, or whatever other shallow nonsense someone could come up with, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. [huh]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

3. Unintelligent. Not according to the grades I got in school, or comments I've occasionally received from people who know me.

But seriously, I'd say I'd care more about the opinions of people who harbor negative thoughts about me, i.e. if I found out someone believed I was a thief, or a rapist, or a pedophile, or abused my wife, or any other personal traits that I believe are truly heinous. So in that regard, you're absolutely right. But if someone thinks I dress poorly, or wear my hair too long, or drive the wrong vehicle, or whatever other shallow nonsense someone could come up with, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. [huh]

+1...

Last edited:

Yes, as I said, some people don't know what they're talking about, and some people are ill-mannered.

Those who would make untrue claims that you have done heinous things fit into the former category, and those who would look down their noses at your attire, or your hair style, or your automobile, are in the latter.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
All the time, I will say, I don't care what others think of me! I realize what I really mean is, I only care what friends think about me!

All the time, I will say, I don't care what others think of me! I realize what I really mean is, I only care what friends think about me!

That's the gist of it, I suppose. Not everyone's opinion matters, nor should it. But some opinions are better informed than others, and some people do little to compel others to care what they think.

I've always believed that quite often it's who your enemies are (and their values or lack thereof) that says more about you than who your friends are.

I've had far too many reminders of late of just how few true friends I actually have. There's no shortage of people whose names I know and with whom I exchange pleasantries. But I know that I am of no great importance to them, and vice-versa.

The sadder lesson, which I learned quite some number of years ago but which recent events have reinforced, is that people I might have thought of as friends could turn out to be something else when there was some advantage to them in doing so. Friends don't try to rip me off. (They didn't succeed, by the way, but the attempt was galling.)

That means, I am a great big ZERO, since I have no enemies!

But you gotta admit, it is kinda flattering to be so important to a person that he or she might consider you an enemy. As someone observed a long time ago, hate is not the opposite of love. The opposite of love is indifference.

Last edited:
1. Jamespowers (*)
2. Bob Roberts (91)
3. DanielJones (64)
4. dh66 (56)
5. Roma (46)
6. Sloan1874 (45)
7. Moehawk (42)
8. Moontheloon (42)
9. Joao Encarnado (41)
10. Monitor (36)
11. Seb Lucas (31)