Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eye shadow

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wear a lot of different brands. Favorites are MAC, Guerlain, and Urban Decay. I highly recommend the Urban Decay Naked Palette, it is a good value for the price - $48 for 12 full-size shadows, and the colors are very wearable and nice quality. I also have some Stila eyeshadows that I like, and for drugstore brands I like the L'Oreal HIP duos. For mineral eyeshadows, I actually really like ELF, they're a dupe for Bare Escentuals at 1/4 the price.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I like Mac eyeshadows too, they really aren't that expensive, you can pick them up for $10 a pot.

Rue mentioned eyeliner. I like rimmel liquid eyeliner, it's inexpensive ($8) & lasts all day.

Last edited:

lareine

A-List Customer
I highly recommend the Urban Decay Naked Palette, it is a good value for the price - $48 for 12 full-size shadows, and the colors are very wearable and nice quality.
I second this. After I bought the Naked palette I pretty much stopped using all my other eyeshadows, as the palette covers every occasion I'm likely to encounter. Urban Decay shadows are great quality and blend and last very well.

User25159

New in Town
I third Lareine and Fortworthgal about Urban Decay's naked palette. It's such a great product, I can't recommend it enough for those into neutrals. If you're looking for quality drugstore eyeshadow, I personally like Wet n Wild's vanity palette (the neutral one). It's shockingly high quality at around $5, and it's my go-to whenever I'm doing a 40's look. And while I do love neutrals, I wear all colors of the rainbow. For my "colored" eye shadows, I do wear some MAC shades, but mostly I use Kat Von D's eyeshadow palettes. Besides being mostly great quality, I love the way the colors are housed together-- you have the option of making your look as tame or as bright as you want. Bah, I could go on forever about this subject! Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, you can always check my blog for makeup looks/reviews; etc: landofladythings.blogspot.com

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MAC. It stays put and does not crease up or bleed out.

Cheaper brands never stay put on me -- travels to the crease. Also, they break out my eyelids. MAC has yet to irritate my skin.

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Yves Saint Laurent - Palette Noir Terriblement. Four shades of black (matte and different doses of sparkle) and one satiny white.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I only use Fyrinnae:

http://www.fyrinnae.com/

They are all loose shadows, which is not to everyones taste, but lots of colours, some really unusual and you can buy samples (which lasts forever) for $2 each. For e who quickly grow bored with a colour, that is perfect. And I can't recommend their Pixie Epoxy enough. With that as base nothing creases and lasts all day.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
What about cheaper brands like Revlon, Loreal.. ?

I have a few various brands of eyeshadow but my go-to lately has been my Covergirl Eye Enhancers in Country Woods to maintain that natural 1940s look. It's a palette of browns with a netural base with just a hint of shimmer. I do have a matte version from Covergirl but it's an old palette and I haven't been really able to find a matte in that brand anymore. I rarely stick to any one brand when it comes to shadows, blush or lipstick...unless for some reason it's really terrible when I try it, then I'll never get it again!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
What about cheaper brands like Revlon, Loreal.. ?

On the whole, drugstore powders aren't worth the little money you pay for them - The quality just doesn't compare. Not to mention how easily they smash, and the limited colour choices.

It doesn't cost *that* much more to buy quality make-up. There are some things you can get off cheaply with (eyeliner and mascara) but there are many others with which you just can't (eyeshadows, setting powders, primers, and IMHO, lipsticks).

Yves Saint Laurent - Palette Noir Terriblement. Four shades of black (matte and different doses of sparkle) and one satiny white.

You, Marzena, are a woman of impeccable taste :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I love MAC and Chanel (particularly their new Illusion D'Ombre range - the glitter stays put and doesn't end up under your eyes/all over your face) but have dabbled with a few other brands like Laura Mercier and Shu Uemura which are both very good. For the cheaper ranges I think you can't go wrong with Bourjois.

Drappa

One Too Many
I really love Benefit eyeshadows, but rarely wear it so I never want to spend money on it as most will be thrown away in a few years!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I love MAC and Chanel (particularly their new Illusion D'Ombre range - the glitter stays put and doesn't end up under your eyes/all over your face) but have dabbled with a few other brands like Laura Mercier and Shu Uemura which are both very good. For the cheaper ranges I think you can't go wrong with Bourjois.

I agree. I think Bourjois do great eyeshadows at a very budget price. They are always highly pigmented and last rather well. I do love a Chanel eyeshadow i have to say. Although Mac are pretty good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner