Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyebrow Grooming

How do you maintain your brows?

• Wax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thread

• I pay a professional

• I don't groom them

• Total voters

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Antje said:
I have now such teary eyes I can't see my brows so I just do them another time.

Since you experienced so much pain, you definitely did it properly. lol

A former colleague of mine asked me if I'd ever waxed or threaded my upper lip before, and I said no because the hairs were so light and fine.
Before I knew it, there was a salon full of girls screaming "VIRGIN LIP!!", I was shoved into a chair, and the threads flew - I cried harder than I did at the ending of Titanic!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
When I was a teenager I tried plucking a few strays but I don't do a thing to them now. They really pretty much stay the same so other than occasionally running my fingers over them to make sure they're not going in the wrong direction I do nothing. I don't have particularly bushy eyebrows so I prefer the natural shape of them. :eek:

Antje

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
I agree. Some people do a great job w/ drawing in their brows. There's a Norwegian girl on youtube that goes by Gemmahey...her's always make me happy because she uses a medium tone of pencil (not too dark) and draws them really shapely and arched, like a comic book character. haha. I think it's really pretty. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_v9gw7tsZs

Yes she is sooo great with eyebrows,
But she has her brows shaved off totally!
I think that is a bit extreme for me

Antje

One Too Many
C-dot said:
Since you experienced so much pain, you definitely did it properly. lol

A former colleague of mine asked me if I'd ever waxed or threaded my upper lip before, and I said no because the hairs were so light and fine.
Before I knew it, there was a salon full of girls screaming "VIRGIN LIP!!", I was shoved into a chair, and the threads flew - I cried harder than I did at the ending of Titanic!

Yeah, wel I hope the hairs will stay way for a while

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I pay someone to do it for me I am that person that if left to my own devices wil pluck them to death and end up with 3 or 4 hairs for eyebrows.

Feathers

Familiar Face
I tweeze. I over-tweezed when I was younger so my eyebrows don't extend as far as I'd like them to now that I'm older. Ah the magic of makeup! lol

Dame LouLou

New in Town
Threading

HazelSmutCrunch said:
I also have to trim a little now and then. I use the same strategy as SayCici and it works to keep them tamed.

Please excuse my ignorance...what's threading?

Threading is an interesting technique...I believe it originated in the Middle East (I could be wrong). You lean back in a chair. The tech has a thread that is looped between the fingers across your eyebrow and through (believe it or not) their teeth. They slide the thread back and forth over your brow line, using their teeth and fingers to create tension. The thread yanks the hair out in a very precise manner. No spit is involved, I promise.

quona

New in Town
Thanks to these posts, I just tried threading on myself.

Wow! Makes such a difference. I'm off tweezers forever.

Anyway, I had horrible experiences with waxing all three times I tried it, so either I had incompetent waxers or my skin just really does not like it. I would always end up missing PIECES. Not hair! Just layers of skin! And there's nothing fabulous about weird scabby eyebrows.

On top of that, I also draw my eyebrows in darker to match my black hair. My eyebrows are brown for some reason, which has never matched my natural (or artificial!) colour.

PS

A-List Customer
If you are blonde your brows should be about 2 shades darker than your hair and if its brown/black it should be two shades lighter.

Also I just tried a new brown product, the Anastasia brow pen! LOVE! super fine tip, can get a great brow tail with it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I always draw over my light brows. The shape simply cannot be seen without a little help from a pencil - plus I crave that perfect tail that PS mentions.

My hair is red, but no matter what the colour I've always done gray-black. My eyeliner is strong, so my face can take it. Ginger Rogers also did the same thing, and her hair was quite light in the 30's. :)

Anyone else require pencil?

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I find that I don't have to do much to maintain my eyebrow shape. Just tweeze here and there. But when I was in high school, my eyebrows were very thin like Jean Harlows. As I got older I decided I wanted them slightly fuller. But now they didn't grow back in right so I have to use pencil.

PS

A-List Customer
EVERYONE NEEDS PENCIL, POWDER, WAX---something. No matter how great the brow, every brown needs a little polish! Even if its just a dab of color to fill in a gap, add some length or keep the hairs in place.
A lot of women I've worked with who are content with their brows are surprised what a hint of brow grooming can do to change the whole look of the face.

Aorta

Familiar Face
PS said:
If you are blonde your brows should be about 2 shades darker than your hair and if its brown/black it should be two shades lighter.

I totally agree! Over here in Germany, I often see women using shades that are way too dark and that looks kind of strange.

For the ladies who tweeze, I can recommend Rubis tweezers - not sure, if the brand is available in the U.S., but these are the best tweezers because they are really sharp. I have one with a slant tip and it is a very good tool for plucking ingrown hairs because you get very close to the surface of the skin.

I also did the Jean Harlow look several years ago, but since I have very think and dark brows naturally, it took so much effort to maintain it (and to be honest, I always looked like I was a bit astonished since it was so far away from my natural shape and didn't fit my features perfectly). Fortunately, my eyebrows grew completely back and now I have a sort of thicker, angled 40s thing going on - love it! The brow of my dreams is the one that Sherilyn Fenn sports as her alter ego Audrey Horne in Twin Peaks.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
PS said:

But my natural brows are the same color as my hair, and the Californian sun has even made my hair a little bit lighter than my brows. Should I really lighten my brows then?

Aorta

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:
But my natural brows are the same color as my hair, and the Californian sun has even made my hair a little bit lighter than my brows. Should I really lighten my brows then?

Laura, I once did that and it was a pain to maintain it because my brows grow so rapidly. Do you use a brow pen or powder on a regular base? Than I would just stop using it, shape the brows as you regularly do, put a little gel or wax on them and you're fine. We have a very similar colouring and in the summer months, my hair is a bit lighter, too. Don't let that bother you. I also know blondes whose brows are naturally a tad darker than their hair and they look fine.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wax, and tweeze in between. I never wax to shape at home, I only get them shaped by pros. Only $5 here so why not? I think threading is terrible. Ugh! Broken hairs and doesn't always get it out at the root.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:

I think you need to go by how -you- look and feel.

Rules such as these 2 shades light two shades darker....do not work on everyone..are are guidelines.

After all, nature did give you the color eyebrows you possess...and unless you are doing -wild- things with your hair color, your brows tend to suit you in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy